Year 12 2013 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aysce

HSC
And i got 58% in 3u maths; pretty happy with it, although it only counts for 1 unit for me so eh..
58% is pretty good for 3u bro - push it up to the high 60s-70% and you'll be looking at an E4 I think.

Oh great results! :)

I also got my english speech marks back: 13/15 and I guess it's a bit better than what I expected because normally I'm not that great at speaking tasks (too nervous for those).

Didn't actually get english assignments for the holidays but the teacher wants us to do research on context and stuff for texts in the holidays.
Congratulations - solid mark :)

Got my first english assignment back. 26/30. Fairly happy as speeches are usually on the lower end for marks.

I got another english assignment to do over the holidays.

8 page narrative on belonging (max)
3 diary entries on belonging (1 page each I think)
A poster (screw this shit shit crap, I'm gonna lose marks for this)

Everything has to be handwritten!!!!!!! (First time ever, my handwriting is so bad, I hate this :p)

I was meant to practice in class business assessment or something but teacher was away which is lame. Going to start off HSC 2 unit course (prelim took this term as well :redface:) during the holidays.

I also need to practice essays on belonging or something in holidays.
Good job and good luck haha.

We got our english results back today too.

Got 15/15 for the speeches and 8.5/10 (so 9 rounded i think ?) for the essay (the essay that caused me to run to sick bay because I barely touched the related text blergh).
Quite satisfied, although I wish the speech was weighted more.It was 5% for the speech and 10% for the essay.
It's also good because no one in my class (don't know about the rest of the cohort) got below 11/15 in total.
First was 15/15, she's so lovely and deserved it so I'm happy for her. 2nd was 14.
There's always the half yearlies :)

Also, in calculating ranks does the school take half marks into consideration, considering the marks are so close together?
Eg155 beasting as usual.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
As much as I hate it, I guess it works haha
As you like it.. lololol

But in all seriousness, yeah, hey it works so go ahead with it but with ModB you have to know all Speeches/poems properly anyway so that takes away that element + while you're memorising an essay, if you prepare properly and read your texts, you'd have enough knowledge to expand a bit more than usual if you know what you're talking about.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Oh great results! :)

I also got my english speech marks back: 13/15 and I guess it's a bit better than what I expected because normally I'm not that great at speaking tasks (too nervous for those).

Didn't actually get english assignments for the holidays but the teacher wants us to do research on context and stuff for texts in the holidays.
Nice work starshine! Out of curiosity, what belonging text/s did you do?

enak101

HSC
Thanks Aysce

Today was my last day of school for this year :D :D :D :D

Next week is people on camp and 'fun week' or whatever and Wednesday is the last day which is pointless to go to.

So...... study time!

Aysce

HSC
Thanks Aysce

Today was my last day of school for this year :D :D :D :D

Next week is people on camp and 'fun week' or whatever and Wednesday is the last day which is pointless to go to.

So...... study time!
Great use of time but make sure you also relax (a little). I noticed you do PDHPE, please refer to my thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=296809

We need all the PDHPE'ers to participate - I appreciate it if you did too.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Thanks. My prescribed text was The Crucible - Arthur Miller. You?
Ah ok, we did Emily Dickinson's poetry - we're doing Julius Caesar for Module C next.

And our belonging assessment was an entire paper 1 with a specified poem for the essay. Yay...

starshine02

HSC
Ah ok, we did Emily Dickinson's poetry - we're doing Julius Caesar for Module C next.

And our belonging assessment was an entire paper 1 with a specified poem for the essay. Yay...
Oh alright. How did you go in that assessment? The other classes at my school did Emily Dickinson too haha.

We're doing Fiftieth Gate for Mod C but we're doing Gatsby/Browning for Mod A at the moment.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Oh alright. How did you go in that assessment? The other classes at my school did Emily Dickinson too haha.

We're doing Fiftieth Gate for Mod C but we're doing Gatsby/Browning for Mod A at the moment.
Um we haven't got our marks back yet - creative writing went horribly (not my forte - will be happy not to see it again until trials) and the short answers was pretty hard to draw out belonging concepts. Essay went fine though.

Luckily, essay's 15% weighing, creative + short answers are 5% apiece.

I regret dropping English Extension 1 pretty badly since I would have done alright in it - just one memorised creative piece and the essay's my strength.

For the other modules, we're doing Frankenstein/Blade Runner for Module A (term 2) and Speeches for Module B (term 3/last term), but we're starting off the new year with Module C so the order spells out C-A-B lol.

starshine02

HSC
Um we haven't got our marks back yet - creative writing went horribly (not my forte - will be happy not to see it again until trials) and the short answers was pretty hard to draw out belonging concepts. Essay went fine though.

Luckily, essay's 15% weighing, creative + short answers are 5% apiece.

I regret dropping English Extension 1 pretty badly since I would have done alright in it - just one memorised creative piece and the essay's my strength.

For the other modules, we're doing Frankenstein/Blade Runner for Module A (term 2) and Speeches for Module B (term 3/last term), but we're starting off the new year with Module C so the order spells out C-A-B lol.
Haha creatives are probably my stronger point when it comes to english lol. I'm sure you probably did great, even though you haven't gotten it yet.

I'm actually considering dropping EE2 because 13 units seems like a lot to handle at the moment and I'm going to be tested on every subject for the next assessments (T1WK5) so I feel like if I dropped something I would have more time. I picked up EE2 because it seemed interesting but also because I felt like I needed backups for all my 3 units of maths lol. But now idk. And tbh I'm not enjoying EE1 that much either (maybe it's the new teacher).

Oh that's pretty interesting. We just do it all in order haha :)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Has anyone had or having year 11 final assemblies yet? If so how did you all go, i had mine today and got a few awards. Most noticeably outstanding academic achievement, it was pretty funny when the assistant principal stuffed up his speech and announced the year 11 UWS scholarship as "UNSW" :L

starshine02

HSC
Has anyone had or having year 11 final assemblies yet? If so how did you all go, i had mine today and got a few awards. Most noticeably outstanding academic achievement, it was pretty funny when the assistant principal stuffed up his speech and announced the year 11 UWS scholarship as "UNSW" :L
Yeah we had something like that. I got a merit award. Congratz on your awards! :)

enak101

HSC
I have done Emily Dickinson's poetry this term as well, even the teacher said the choice of poems was strange :p. Not horrible though.

Aysce

HSC
Unless the 1 science is Bio - if you're doing science just coz azn lyf, then do yourself a favour and pick Phys/Chem.
Biology is so dry, it's not funny.

I haven't thoroughly gone through physics (just reading) and not much in detail for Chem yet (nearly finished prelim) but I find that these two courses are much more interesting and clearly more challenging than biology.

Focus is Key

HSC
Ours was Wednesday. Me and my friends did really well and I was so satisfied with my awards. I got 6 1st places which gave $60 worth in book vouchers (cheap school, last year it was $20 per 1st place), a gold medallion award (quite prestigious) and the Most Outstanding Student award :D. My mouth dropped because the dux award wasn't written in the program so it was a total shock to me. Two really funny moments were the Year 12 Advisor sitting on her Year Advisor's award smashing it and the principal mispronouncing gangam style as "gingam style".

Focus is Key

HSC
I got my Ancient results back for our recent test worth 20%. Was quite pleased with the mark (19/20), although I think the teacher definately was too lenient seeing as two others got 19 when one in particular never does well in any other class and is clearly the teacher's favourite :/ Thank god we're getting a new Ancient teacher next year or I'd probably have dropped the subject (had to almost entirely self-study).

Also had my Ext 1 Maths test (worth 15%) and Advanced test (also worth 15%) during the week. They were really easy, particuarly Advanced (considering he basically gave us two review exercises and said 'The questions are coming from these', plus most of the questions weren't too tough to begin with). The only problem with the Extension test is I ran out of time missing like 4 marks making like 90% probably the highest maximum I could get. 80% is probably a more realistic estimate considering I almost certainly dropped 2-3 other marks. For Advanced I couldn't think of any mistakes I made off of the top of my head and checked my work twice so won't be satisfied with less than 90% on that one (considering much higher is certainly achievable). Since for Prelims I was consisently 3rd I know 1st and 2nd will probably get 100% or damn close :/

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Ours was Wednesday. Me and my friends did really well and I was so satisfied with my awards. I got 6 1st places which gave $60 worth in book vouchers (cheap school, last year it was $20 per 1st place), a gold medallion award (quite prestigious) and the Most Outstanding Student award :D. My mouth dropped because the dux award wasn't written in the program so it was a total shock to me. Two really funny moments were the Year 12 Advisor sitting on her Year Advisor's award smashing it and the principal mispronouncing gangam style as "gingam style".
What a beast, any subject you didn't come first in :L I came 1st in 3 subjects, however aiming for 4 for the hsc with the motivation from your awesome results. We don't get any cash prices, just an award for 1st place and a gold medallion as well for Outstanding Academic Achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)