Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
+1

I had chosen the ASIAN/CURRY Subject Combo thinking that I would do extremely well. However, I realised that I could get a better mark, had more aptitude for, and was more interested in Legal Studies than Physics, so I picked it and I don't regret it.
Great to hear!

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Respect on that post. Well, year 10 as well, my school forces us to complete 12 units minimum with at least 2 humanity subjects. I sort of have an idea of my subjects for year 11. Probably looking at 3 unit english and maths, economics, latin, physics.
I am thinking of doing economics as well :) I might do business studies too.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Respect on that post. Well, year 10 as well, my school forces us to complete 12 units minimum with at least 2 humanity subjects. I sort of have an idea of my subjects for year 11. Probably looking at 3 unit english and maths, economics, latin, physics.
Do it!
Economics & Physics are awesome.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
+1

I had chosen the ASIAN/CURRY Subject Combo thinking that I would do extremely well. However, I realised that I could get a better mark, had more aptitude for, and was more interested in Legal Studies than Physics, so I picked it and I don't regret it.
this is a great attitude to have and people should learn from this

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I am thinking of doing economics as well :) I might do business studies too.
Economics is really fun guys. One of the few subjects where what you're studying is always directly relevant to the world around you. The sciences are awesome, but if you're not looking for a science related career, you will barely use most of them, and likewise for Histories and Legal Studies. Economics gives you some useful skills for real life too. I personally don't do Business Studies, but I'd imagine that it'd be relevant if you're interested in running a business, or how a business operates.

Last edited:

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Economics is really fun guys. One of the few subjects where what you're studying is always directly relevant to the world around you. The sciences are awesome, but if you're not looking for a science related career, you will barely use most of them, and likewise for Histories and Legal Studies. Economics gives you some useful skills for real life too. I personally don't do Business Studies, but I'd imagine that it'd be relevant if you're interested in running a business, or how a business operates.
That is one of the reasons why I plan to choose economics :)

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Could I still choose Economics/Legal Studies if I didn't choose commerce as one of my year 9/10 electives? Or would it be too difficult

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Could I still choose Economics/Legal Studies if I didn't choose commerce as one of my year 9/10 electives? Or would it be too difficult
I think you would. Commerce is closer to business studies anyway

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Doing commerce in year 9/10 Isn't a pre-requisite for Eco/Legal/Business. I did do commerce in year 9 and 10 It's only just a bit of a headstart. I do economics, and I know people who didn't do it was an elective in 9/10 finding it fine to cope with, if you want to do Eco or Legal then do it, not doing commerce in year 9/10 shouldn't stop you!

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
At our school they told us that what you do in years 9 and 10 does not determine what you can do in years 11 and 12. We were told this in year 8 :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
At our school they told us that what you do in years 9 and 10 does not determine what you can do in years 11 and 12. We were told this in year 8 :)
This. Your year 9 and 10 electives have little bearing on your subject choice for year 11 and 12 (unless your school is different for some reason)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
in some schools if you're not particularly good at maths, they don't let u take up 3u in year 11

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Then I think I'll choose eco :) Apparently our school doesn't let us take standard english because it's "too easy" :S

drellafemes

HSC
N/A
thinking of doing: 3 unit maths, 3 unit English, chemistry, economics and tossing between physics or music 2

kev-kun

HSC
Hm... 3 unit math, adv. English, chem, physics, music 2, SOR1 (private school...unfortunate) and tossing up between eco, SDD and Bio... Any suggestions?

And BTW ever since year 10 started I HATE GEO!!

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Do what u r interested in

If u r equally interested in them all choose the one thatcwill be more relevant to what u want to do in uni

If ur not sure what u want to do in uni do eco cos i've heard great feedback about it

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I am failing maths at the moment. These are my marks:
Topic test 1: 54.5% (5% weighting)
Topic test 2: 15.8% (5% weighting)
Maths assignment: 96% (20% weighting)
Term 1 exam: Not sure but definitely under 60% (20% weighting)

I like maths but of course, everything changes when you don't remember things when you are doing an exam! I was told that it is impossible to get an A for my semester 1 report. But what marks would I need to get for my topic tests and semester exam in order to get a B?

And at this stage, is it possible to do something that can allow me to do extension 1 maths next year?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)