You KNOW you're an economics nerd when.. (1 Viewer)

gnrlies

HSC
michael1990 said:
WHAT!

Are you an idiot?

Have you read his articles?
His books?

MAN COME ON!
Haha so naive!

Yes, I have read his articles etc etc

But he isn't particularly good. I think he has a knack for writing, but then that doesn't make him a particularly good economist. If anything quite the opposite (you will find that the most influential and important economists are rather bland authors). I would much prefer to read an article with substance than him rambling on like a radical.

(perhaps to say he sucks is a bit unfair as I ignore the fact that he is writing to a wide audience and presents attributes more typical of a sketch writer than a commentator)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Rebekkie said:
when you actually have this conversation (someone's sig)

"unemployments down"
"thats good"
"no apparently thats bad...it means a labour shortage"
"thats bad"
"No thats good...it will push wages up"
"thats good"
"no thats bad...it means higher interest rates"
"thats bad"
"No thats good... it strengthens the dollar"
"Thats good"
"no thats bad...more expensive exports"
"Thats bad"
"no thats good... cheaper imports"
"...Lets stick to the weather"

its actually from the smh
ages ago.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
gnrlies said:
(perhaps to say he sucks is a bit unfair as I ignore the fact that he is writing to a wide audience and presents attributes more typical of a sketch writer than a commentator)
exatly, his audience isnt a bunch of economists. He has to write in a way that everyone can understand

chugbuster

HSC
*When you tell off your area manager at pizza hut for being so stingy because "WE HAVE TO PROVIDE NON-PRICE COMPETITION OR ELSE WE WON'T GET ANY BUSINESS!!" and then asking them if they ever even studied economics

sarahaussiegirl

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
  • You're the only one who doesn't cheer when the aussie dollar creeps up against the $US
  • you laugh when people fail to understand why an interest rate rise is nessassary as they cry out stupid things like 'god, the RB is sooo greedy!!'
  • you actually read parts other than the sports section in the papper.
enjoy =]
*When you read newspapers and automatically cut out any eco related article and write notes and draw curves all over the paper to show your teacher
*When you actually pay attention in class cuz you WANT to be there
*When you go on holidays and in the car you have an in depth converstaion about supply and demand and the role of the government in our economy and price ceilings and taxes and stuff
*When you have the "elasticity song" in your head all day (look it up on youtube found really useful links just let me know if you want any)
*when you email your teacher with random questions about supply in the middle of the night
*you watch the news and actually understand it
*when you read Ross Gittens for fun
*When its the only subject you study for because it is actually interesting

God I am such a nerd woot woot!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
When anything in the 20/20 summit &whatever Kevin Rudd says makes you lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
...you come top 10 in the state for Economics.

The biggest Economics nerd is someone who comes first in Economics.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Rebekkie said:
when you read economics jokes and actually get why they're funny
OMG! Does it mean that I am an Economics nerd?

But I don't even do Economics.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
When you laugh at Wayne Swan for being stupid enough to not know what the NAIRU is.

Stupid guy, should know his stuff.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
michael1990 said:
Means you will be a economic guru and prob work for Tim Riley LOL!
no it doesn't.

besides tim riley is shit! dixon for life...

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Studentleader said:
When anything in the 20/20 summit &whatever Kevin Rudd says makes you lol
ok, examples...

Rebekkie said:
when you laugh at wayne swan and think you'd be a better treasurer than him (that's me)
If you think you can do a better job than wayne swan then you're probably under the false impression that the economy is simple and straight forward. It runs a lot deeper then what you learn in the HSC course.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
When you hear about a tax on 'alcopops' you think about implications for individuals, businesses and governments subconsciously.

gnrlies

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
ok, examples...

If you think you can do a better job than wayne swan then you're probably under the false impression that the economy is simple and straight forward. It runs a lot deeper then what you learn in the HSC course.
the 20/20 summit was a ridiculous elitist idea that was a way for Rudd to mingle with celebrities. No new ideas came from the summit, only a regurgitation of existing ideas.

I dont think the initial post was meant to point out that being treasurer is easy, or even that they would make a good treasurer, but rather making fun of wayne swan.

Personally I dont like him. He seems unsure of himself and I think he lacks credibility, but by the same token virtually every treasurer in Australian history (apart from the fact that I dont have a list of names to prove it I would suggest that it is 100%) has had no formal economics training. I think the closest would be John Hewson who was never even treasurer (opposition leader) who was an economist by trade. Subsequently I will wait until the budget until I slag him off.

conics2008

HSC
I think your an economics nerd when you write at the back of every freakin book " I came first in thhe HSC " this is soo sad.. tim dixion is a fag and John O'mahonny is his slut lol... seriously, i have both of their books and at the back it says the same thing lol.. checkk them out lol

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
williamc said:
-You read an economics book before you go to sleep.

we mainly import (ETM's) from the US, so an appreciation of the aussie dollar against the US dollar is good.
Sure, it's good that our imports from America will be cheaper and we can buy more, but an appreciation of the $A is also bad because people can't buy as many exports from us becuase our Aussie dollar is too expensive. Economics is like a pulley, you push down one side and another side rises. :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)