Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

ayye

HSC
Thanks!!
But one question, how do you avoid making the story sound cheesy and cliche? My stories always have horrible, cringeworthy endings. :/
Hi! Perhaps I can be an assistance to your question:

In terms of how far the notion of 'cliche' goes: you would want your creative piece to have a moral/concept behind your words - don't just compose a story out of mid-air, take a step back and ask yourself what do you want the reader to gain from this? For example, your creative piece may be centered around the idea of 'change' and how it can have major impacts both positively and negatively. But in spite of this, make sure, if there is any, that you answer the question or stimulus because that's what is going to get you your marks.

Once you have gotten your concept or motivation, you now want to convey it (obviously). Now, I'm sure you've written many essays on how the composer shapes meaning through form, language etc. So really, you're just applying the same structure into your piece: use metaphors, personification, rhythm, colloquialism and SYNTAX: varying your sentence lengths more can make for a much more interesting, original and sophisticated piece of writing. Remember, this is a creative piece of writing: you can write a one word sentence, incomplete sentences and one sentence paragraphs. Also, you would want to engage your reader: perhaps begin your piece with a bang such as "Drifting. Slowly drifting. More because I could not fathom the words just spoken than any natural dizziness," this will help you with the whole 'not being cliche' trick (notice also the syntax in the quote). Also, what really determines the good english student to a brilliant english student is the ability to use a recurring motif. This is more getting into stage 6 english, but if you are able to use a symbol that is obvious and effective, your marker will look highly upon you. For example, going back to the notion of 'change', you may use water as your motif: water can come is many forms and changes frequently depending on it's particular environment.

As for your ending: it's quite hard to just tell you how to end your piece without it being cringe-worthy. But I can go as far to say that your ending should have a nice 'wrap-up'. In this I mean, have a nice link from what you have stated before in the beginning of your piece. For example, you may start your piece of as something like "She cried. Forever crying in my arms. Her tears in this photo were like oceans seeping into the pores of my skin till today." and may end your piece as "Emotions are never depicted in photos. Except for that one girl crying in the photo." I don't know, something like that - you get the drift.
Another way you can end your piece is with a climactic moment. Every creative piece should hold, to some extent, a climax. So you may start your piece off as normal and expected, but then the climactic moment of a car crash (or whatever) suddenly changes the view of the character.

There's probably a lot more to a creative piece than this, but hopefully this will help you compose a sustainable piece where it is not outrageously 'cliche' or 'cringe-worthy'. :p

good luck! :)

Last edited:

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Re: The p00n thread

I have my Terry Lee test today and i'm TRYING to study but it's too hard :cry:

inb4thatrusechickbeatsme

enoilgam

HSC

I have my Terry Lee test today and i'm TRYING to study but it's too hard :cry:

inb4thatrusechickbeatsme
All you can do is the best that you can do - so what if she beats you.

Fawun

Queen
HSC

All you can do is the best that you can do - so what if she beats you.
I failed the last one (literally) so my dad expects me to pass and i'm sitting here with the textbook in front of me and I can honestly say that I have no chance of passing.

Aysce

HSC
What topics are you doing? Just post on BoS for help or something rather than just sitting there and feeling defeated lol

kazemagic

HSC

I failed the last one (literally) so my dad expects me to pass and i'm sitting here with the textbook in front of me and I can honestly say that I have no chance of passing.
just redo the last test and other tests a few times and u should come close to passing or passing it

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Fawun, pay me money and I'll do the test for you - note that you probably know more maths then me actually. I don't really accelerate.

i.e. I'll probably fail and do worse then if you were to do the test ^^"

Fawun

Queen
HSC

What topics are you doing? Just post on BoS for help or something rather than just sitting there and feeling defeated lol
There's like a gazillion topics all in one chapter like wtf

There's like logs, graphs, quadratics, coordinate geometry, etc.

Will knowing the basic stuff of it be enough? Like the last test was pretty easy it's just that I blanked out. As of right now, I KNOW how to do the things it's just that I can't be bothered doing questions and stuff.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Fawun, pay me money and I'll do the test for you - note that you probably know more maths then me actually. I don't really accelerate.

i.e. I'll probably fail and do worse then if you were to do the test ^^"
There is so much wrong in this post. Demento, you're like a genius (srs)

Aysce

HSC

There's like a gazillion topics all in one chapter like wtf

There's like logs, graphs, quadratics, coordinate geometry, etc.

Will knowing the basic stuff of it be enough? Like the last test was pretty easy it's just that I blanked out. As of right now, I KNOW how to do the things it's just that I can't be bothered doing questions and stuff.
Err obviously I don't go to Terry Lee but in most cases, knowing the basic stuff usually isn't enough and you should be doing the more complex questions.

And you just can't be bothered?

Well you either can't be bothered -> Fail -> Cop it by your dad again or Study -> Pass -> Live another day.

Your choice.

HSC
I get that feeling as well, but believe me practice is absolutely crucial in maths. In a test, you have to demonstrate your knowledge through APPLYING what you have learnt to the questions. You can greatly minimise your chances of "blanking out" on easy questions if you practice as much as possible before hand until standard questions become like second nature to you, leaving time and more effort for unfamiliar or difficult questions.

you're only in year 10, it's never too late to improve.

Good luck :)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
There is so much wrong in this post. Demento, you're like a genius (srs)
Some of the graphing and limit talks I have seen you post in your maths help thread have actually made me mind-blanked... So really, you have a lot more knowledge in maths then me. But hey, think to yourself this: Why do people go to tutors? To learn and improve because they're not smart. If we're so smart, we wouldn't need to seek a tutor at all. So go out, do your test, get help from bos, learn, consistently work and I wouldn't worry about a Ruse person beating you (accept it if they're actually smarter then you, fair enough - even if their attitude is crap, ignore it).

kazemagic

HSC
Some of the graphing and limit talks I have seen you post in your maths help thread have actually made me mind-blanked... So really, you have a lot more knowledge in maths then me. But hey, think to yourself this: Why do people go to tutors? To learn and improve because they're not smart. If we're so smart, we wouldn't need to seek a tutor at all. So go out, do your test, get help from bos, learn, consistently work and I wouldn't worry about a Ruse person beating you (accept it if they're actually smarter then you, fair enough - even if their attitude is crap, ignore it).
fawun ur gonna regret this if u dont take his advice

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Err obviously I don't go to Terry Lee but in most cases, knowing the basic stuff usually isn't enough and you should be doing the more complex questions.

And you just can't be bothered?

Well you either can't be bothered -> Fail -> Cop it by your dad again or Study -> Pass -> Live another day.

Your choice.
Well to be honest, i spent the last hour or so sleeping. So I guess if I fail, it's nobody but my own fault lol

I get that feeling as well, but believe me practice is absolutely crucial in maths. In a test, you have to demonstrate your knowledge through APPLYING what you have learnt to the questions. You can greatly minimise your chances of "blanking out" on easy questions if you practice as much as possible before hand until standard questions become like second nature to you, leaving time and more effort for unfamiliar or difficult questions.

you're only in year 10, it's never too late to improve.

Good luck :)
I see where you're coming from. Thank you :)

Yeah I guess but I can't ignore it if I come like last...

fawun ur gonna regret this if u dont take his advice
They give me so much shit for it. I am legit sick and tired of their bullshit. I just wanna destroy them in the test but I obviously can't because like I previously said, I just spent the past hour or so sleeping el oh el.

Oh well. I'm leaving for the test now.

inb4fail
inb4 i disappoint everyone
inb4everything

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
They give me so much shit for it. I am legit sick and tired of their bullshit. I just wanna destroy them in the test but I obviously can't because like I previously said, I just spent the past hour or so sleeping el oh el.
Give them carrot's tests.

It'll crush their spirits and souls.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been here :) How are you all feeling about the last term before the senior years? I'm thankful that I don't have to do PDHPE next year :D

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been here :) How are you all feeling about the last term before the senior years? I'm thankful that I don't have to do PDHPE next year :D
I though the exact same thing - then one day in year 11 english I was like "you know what I really miss, PE".

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I though the exact same thing - then one day in year 11 english I was like "you know what I really miss, PE".
Ah, probably because during practical lessons, you can just relax :) Sometimes, even if you do nothing the teacher won't care :p I'll miss that, but everything else in PDHPE, I'm happy to say good-bye to :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)