Laptop Ideas (2 Viewers)

michael1990

HSC
Hey there peeps,

I'm looking at buying a new laptop. I want to spend around (give or take) $1500 and want it to have:
  • Good Battery Life
  • About 3GB Ram
  • 250Gb Hard Drive
  • 512MB or so Graphics
  • Light and Compact but large screen
It will be for train use, and for university education. So just the basic principals of word and such. Won't be used for games, but want it so it has the potential to run soft games.

Thought I would ask and see if anyone has any ideas. Please discuss.

vds700

HSC
Hey there peeps,

I'm looking at buying a new laptop. I want to spend around (give or take) $1500 and want it to have:
  • Good Battery Life
  • About 3GB Ram
  • 250Gb Hard Drive
  • 512MB or so Graphics
  • Light and Compact but large screen
It will be for train use, and for university education. So just the basic principals of word and such. Won't be used for games, but want it so it has the potential to run soft games.

Thought I would ask and see if anyone has any ideas. Please discuss.
Just look around on a few sites like DSE, JB Hifi, Harris Technology, Harvey Norman etc etc until you find what you need at the right price, its not that hard.

Im in the same boat, looking for 1 for uni, and think im gonna get a Toshiba one, 15.4', C2D 2 Ghz, 2Gb. 250 GB 256 Mb ATI Graphics for $1276 from JB Hifi

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Toshiba's are way too heavy for portable use, they're more prone to being desktop replacements.

One of the netbooks, or lighter portables would suit you.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
lol.

for the asus lambo- performance wise, theres much better, price wise, $1000 is added on for the use of 'lamborghini' in its logo -_-

same person

HSC
This is completely off the topic, and not at all useful for you, but...

My lap top has this fandy dany finger-print identification!! What'll they think of next?? :haha:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
This is completely off the topic, and not at all useful for you, but...

My lap top has this fandy dany finger-print identification!! What'll they think of next?? :haha:
haha, welcome to technology. Mine has it too. Mine has face recognition too :p

But fingerprint scanners were out on laptops like 3-4 years ago..

same person

HSC
haha, welcome to technology. Mine has it too. Mine has face recognition too :p

But fingerprint scanners were out on laptops like 3-4 years ago..
Thanks for the update! :)
My laptop I've had for 8 years died just before Christmas (may it rest in peace), so I had to brave the big bad world of Domayne to buy another one.

And it's so clever!! I can now be on the internet AND have a word document up at the same time...GO TECHNOLOGY!!!

haha

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Thanks for the update! :)
My laptop I've had for 8 years died just before Christmas (may it rest in peace), so I had to brave the big bad world of Domayne to buy another one.

And it's so clever!! I can now be on the internet AND have a word document up at the same time...GO TECHNOLOGY!!!

haha
HAHAHAHhahahahahah, good on ya :)

I can be on internet, have word docs open, msn open, and run a game, alt tabbing between to open up a game walkthrough or talk to a friend. Not that i do that..
But i can!!!!!!

same person

HSC
HAHAHAHhahahahahah, good on ya :)

I can be on internet, have word docs open, msn open, and run a game, alt tabbing between to open up a game walkthrough or talk to a friend. Not that i do that..
But i can!!!!!!
Geeeeez, talk about multi tasking....haha

I almost had a heart attack because I couldn't find the Calculator application, and I was thinking 'What the hell? It has finger-print id, 500G memory, voice detection, centrino 2, web cam...all those exciting things...AND NO CALCULATOR!!??'

but then I did a quick search and I found it...just as well, or I was going to be having some words with someone...

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
lol.
If u got vista then u can always use the search function from the start menu to find whatever u need. It works extremely quick for me, maybe cuz i have awesome hardware...............

same person

HSC
lol.
If u got vista then u can always use the search function from the start menu to find whatever u need. It works extremely quick for me, maybe cuz i have awesome hardware...............
Thank you so much for educating me about my laptop...there's so much to learn!! :p
and good on your for having 'Such awesome hardware'.....hahaha

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
And to michael1990, customize urself a dell laptop, theyre cheap and will do the job. If only soft games, then an integrated graphics will do just fine. (define soft games)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. You're not going to need 512mb graphics for 'light gaming'. In fact I'm not sure if anything below an x600GT comes with 512mb of memory.
2. Buy a Dell Studio 15, or a Thinkpad if you're willing to splash out a little bit more for something which will last forever.
3. Get a student discount by going to Dell EPP, and also search Whirlpool Broadband Forums to see if you can find any % off coupons to stack on top of that.
4. If you must buy something else, avoid HP like the plague. They look nicely specced but the battery life is 90 minutes if you're lucky and the user experience is simply awful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)