Racist Voilence at Australia Day (3 Viewers)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
hooray for people who dont understand the meaning of australia day!
What meaning? The day stands for nothing.

I'd say violent drunk nationalists are a major part of what, if anything, Australia day stands for.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
IT was a day to celebrate all things Australian but it quickly descended into an afternoon of violence and racism echoing the ugly stain of the Cronulla riots.
but...that is all things Australian?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Graney said:
What meaning? The day stands for nothing.

I'd say violent drunk nationalists are a major part of what, if anything, Australia day stands for.
most countries have a national day, doesn't have to be a bad thing

i still think federation would be the best thing to commemorate, that would have some significance

even better, the day when we become a republic :D

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
i still think federation would be the best thing to commemorate, that would have some significance

Yep, federation would be something to celebrate.

The problem with Australia day as it stands, is we're celebrating the day some dudes landed, killed some abos and founded a shithole penal colony. It stands for colonialism and the British empire, things no one wants to get behind nowadays. In light of these values, racist violence seems a fairly appropriate way to commemorate the day.

We need a day that imparts some moral or values lesson behind it, a specific cause to actually be proud of. The founding, or independence of a great, free, democratic nation is what our national day should stand for.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
most countries have a national day, doesn't have to be a bad thing

Exactly. Something like Bastille Day in France or the national day in Germany celebrating the fall of the Berlin Wall. Just have to wait for the day we become a republic...

ZaraKu

HSC
Can we please change the gun laws so we can shoot bogans whenever we feel like it? I'm sick of their "Fuck off, we're full" shit, and their exceptionally poor spelling and grammar, thank god the government is raising the school leavers age, less drop outs now :)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
People who are happy: racists/xenophobes

People who aren't happy: everyone else
The Macquarie Dictionary defines a cynic as "a sneering faultfinder; one who doubts or denies the goodness of human motives, and who often displays his attitude by sneers, sarcasm, etc." In Australia, as in many other countries, cynicism most readily presents itself when the conversation turns to politics. Political cynicism is corrosive, as well as being the best form of crowd control I have ever witnessed. Cynics fill the air with endless complaint, revealing all the while they have nothing positive to contribute.

prime-factor

HSC
The Macquarie Dictionary defines a cynic as "a sneering faultfinder; one who doubts or denies the goodness of human motives, and who often displays his attitude by sneers, sarcasm, etc." In Australia, as in many other countries, cynicism most readily presents itself when the conversation turns to politics. Political cynicism is corrosive, as well as being the best form of crowd control I have ever witnessed. Cynics fill the air with endless complaint, revealing all the while they have nothing positive to contribute.
No need to be so cynical about it all Iron.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)