• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Progress in Mathematics Course (1 Viewer)

jellybelly59

HSC
I think our class only has two topics (applications of calculus to the physical world and probability) left. How far is everyone in the mathematics course? Approximately how much longer before everyone starts preparing with endless masses of past papers?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I'm sure that you'd have more topics left. It's not even half way through Term 1!

jet

Banned
HSC
Do you only do 2unit?
And what topics have you done?

0hNivlek

HSC
I think we have Series & Sequences Application, Applications of Calculus to the Physical World and The Trigonometric Functions left. Though i'm not sure if we did Applications of Geometrical properties or Co-ordinate Methods in Geometry lol.

Wow 5 topics to go. We're so behind LOL!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Wow, pretty quick. Have there been any complaints about moving too fast?

jet

Banned
HSC
Nah... i do 3 unit too. All our three unit is done after this term. I just wanted to see the size of the revision buffer for the Trials and the externals for students in other schools.
Do you find it challenging?
I had to do the whole prelim in three months to accelerate and that was a killer. You would have to be doing quite a lot of work to do that much.
And what about covering the work in a detailed way? I couldn't imagine your class covering it well if you have to struggle to do it that fast.

M@ster P

HSC
we only have two topics left as well. trig functions and ACPW

jellybelly59

HSC
Do you find it challenging?
I had to do the whole prelim in three months to accelerate and that was a killer. You would have to be doing quite a lot of work to do that much.
And what about covering the work in a detailed way? I couldn't imagine your class covering it well if you have to struggle to do it that fast.

LOL hahaha well most of my class is doing Jones and Couchman which isn't really challenging given the exception of a couple of questions. I think 3 people in my class (including me) are doing Cambridge. Challenging? LOL for me i guess so. What we do is that he covers it in heaps of detail in class. All he does in class is explanation of concept and then heaps of examples. All the textbook exercises are left as homework. Finally there are catch up lessons every 2 weeks where for 2 hours you just bomb him with questions that were just too difficult. He's quite approachable so it's not too bad asking him questions during catch up lessons and after class either. It's just hard doing so much hw LOL. It's very much like what you would do at tutoring (or at least from my experiences of tutor).

walshjr

Crowded Isolation
HSC
I think we have Series & Sequences Application, Applications of Calculus to the Physical World and The Trigonometric Functions left. Though i'm not sure if we did Applications of Geometrical properties or Co-ordinate Methods in Geometry lol.

Wow 5 topics to go. We're so behind LOL!
YOu think YOUR behind. My class only just finished Prelim. We got really behind last year with stuff going on at school, all happening on days when we had Maths. We have had to timetable 2 more lessons in a fortnight.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
YOu think YOUR behind. My class only just finished Prelim. We got really behind last year with stuff going on at school, all happening on days when we had Maths. We have had to timetable 2 more lessons in a fortnight.
If I were you, I'd be concerned.

jet

Banned
HSC
LOL hahaha well most of my class is doing Jones and Couchman which isn't really challenging given the exception of a couple of questions. I think 3 people in my class (including me) are doing Cambridge. Challenging? LOL for me i guess so. What we do is that he covers it in heaps of detail in class. All he does in class is explanation of concept and then heaps of examples. All the textbook exercises are left as homework. Finally there are catch up lessons every 2 weeks where for 2 hours you just bomb him with questions that were just too difficult. He's quite approachable so it's not too bad asking him questions during catch up lessons and after class either. It's just hard doing so much hw LOL. It's very much like what you would do at tutoring (or at least from my experiences of tutor).
Wow. Have you ever talked to him about slowing down?

I mean, you have a term and a half to go till the trials. There is no rush yet.

As a comparison, i finished the 2 and 3 unit courses in the middle of term 2, and finished the 4 unit course at the end of term 3.

It can't help you in terms of other subjects either.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Applications of Calculus to the Physical World is quite a long topic in Extension 1. You have:

2 unit topics
- Rates of change
- Motion in a line
- Exponential Growth and Decay where dN/dt = kN

Ext1 topics
- Exponential Growth and Decay where dN/dt = k(N - P)
- Projectile Motion
- Simple Harmonic Motion

shady145

Banned
HSC
my school has integration to finish, followed by exponential and logs, then trig functions, and finally Applications of Calculus to the Physical World.
we are scheduled to finish the course at week 8 term 2. right now we are ahead of that schedule by 1 week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)