James Ruse Agricultural High (5 Viewers)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
So whats it like going to ruse? any different? does it feel better or like u know u'll do good even if u dont try as hard?

also mind sharing any study tips or techniques? :)

thanks
I didn't notice any different other than Asian overload to be honest. yeah it's a big step up from primary school but any high school is. After a while you get used to it and in year 11 etc you realise that being in Ruse means a lot, since your 70% or whatever is actually 90%+ in BoS terms. As for study tips, I don't know I'm a bludger. Just make notes and study them over and over and over.

hmm... what about the books, I bet you use the best books available too
For what subject? Our textbooks seem to be pretty good, some of our English texts suck but that's got nothing to do with the school =) But yeah our textbooks tend to be good.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Seconded. Ruse is great, despite what some other people say it's really friendly. And it's not so much knowing that we'll do well regardless as knowing that if you don't get something, there will always be someone, or most of the time some people who do get it, and who'll help you with whatever it is that you don't understand.

Study tips? Urm. I'm also a lazy bludger, but I start making notes early. If I could be bothered, I'd go over my stuff every weekend to make sure I knew what I was doing, but I don't. Ahahaha. Yeah, the textbooks are generally pretty good, but sometimes there aren't enough of them, like for bio, so different classes use different textbooks ==

pillar

HSC
Yeah I'd be interested to know what textbooks Ruse uses for Maths (and MX1), Chemistry, Physics etc..

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't notice any different other than Asian overload to be honest. yeah it's a big step up from primary school but any high school is. After a while you get used to it and in year 11 etc you realise that being in Ruse means a lot, since your 70% or whatever is actually 90%+ in BoS terms. As for study tips, I don't know I'm a bludger. Just make notes and study them over and over and over.

For what subject? Our textbooks seem to be pretty good, some of our English texts suck but that's got nothing to do with the school =) But yeah our textbooks tend to be good.
ahh lol.. asians... i'm asian too :) but I guess i wasnt really hard working back in year 6 to make it to ruse... ahh wellz... i guess i'll just try 10x harder then normal to try and kee up with ruse kids.

being a bludger... well i guess the effective study methods would help, i've heard they teach you studying (not sure if its true, but a friend who went to ruse about 4 years ago told me)

as for the text books what about the subjects in my sig? also books that you may use separately from school?

thanks! :)

Seconded. Ruse is great, despite what some other people say it's really friendly. And it's not so much knowing that we'll do well regardless as knowing that if you don't get something, there will always be someone, or most of the time some people who do get it, and who'll help you with whatever it is that you don't understand.

Study tips? Urm. I'm also a lazy bludger, but I start making notes early. If I could be bothered, I'd go over my stuff every weekend to make sure I knew what I was doing, but I don't. Ahahaha. Yeah, the textbooks are generally pretty good, but sometimes there aren't enough of them, like for bio, so different classes use different textbooks ==
ahaha yea i guess.. year 11 is a little slower then year 12.. but i'll apply those studying tips after my half yearlies next week :( .. feel like im going to fail... well not go as good as I want for subjects like english and business studies, 2 of my least favourite subjects because the teachers are dead boring.

also what about english? since the teacher arnt much help, how do you study for english?

thanks!! to both! :)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Textbooks:

Maths - School uses Fitzpatrick for 2/3/4U. They also assign exercises out of Cambridge and Coroneos on sheets that they photocopied. I have all 3 at home.
Chem - Conquering Chemistry. I also have Chem Contexts at home but it's more a supplementary textbook to Conquering.
Eco - The Market Economy 2007.

I don't do Phys, so I don't know about that. Business Studies isn't offered at James Ruse, so no idea there either.

Also the English teachers ARE REALLY GOOD at James Ruse, they help a lot in working out concepts, developing essay writing skills, etc. I have a paragraph due every Friday on a different text related to the module, so it really helps in learning how to right on many texts on the same thing. TO study for English, I basically write a draft essay, hand it in to my teacher, get her to mark it, do it again, get her to mark it till I'm getting 19-20/20 from her. then I rote learn it and memorise it. And I just adapt to the question asked in the exam. Basically I leave the intro and conclusion open ended until the exam, and just add in various references to the question within my body paragraphs during the exam.

xV1P3R

HSC
Physics we use Jacaranda, don't know if it's just our class, but we don't use it so much for exercises, but rather a reference at home.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Textbooks:

Maths - School uses Fitzpatrick for 2/3/4U. They also assign exercises out of Cambridge and Coroneos on sheets that they photocopied. I have all 3 at home.
Chem - Conquering Chemistry. I also have Chem Contexts at home but it's more a supplementary textbook to Conquering.
Eco - The Market Economy 2007.

I don't do Phys, so I don't know about that. Business Studies isn't offered at James Ruse, so no idea there either.

Also the English teachers ARE REALLY GOOD at James Ruse, they help a lot in working out concepts, developing essay writing skills, etc. I have a paragraph due every Friday on a different text related to the module, so it really helps in learning how to right on many texts on the same thing. TO study for English, I basically write a draft essay, hand it in to my teacher, get her to mark it, do it again, get her to mark it till I'm getting 19-20/20 from her. then I rote learn it and memorise it. And I just adapt to the question asked in the exam. Basically I leave the intro and conclusion open ended until the exam, and just add in various references to the question within my body paragraphs during the exam.
WOW thanks so much! a great help :)

Physics we use Jacaranda, don't know if it's just our class, but we don't use it so much for exercises, but rather a reference at home.
Thanks to you too! :)

I'll get getting those books in the holidays and studying them (hopefully) :)

thanks once again!

dp624

HSC
they're not exactly the top books in the field; ruse is a pretty cheap school; some books are really old etc

xV1P3R

HSC
they're not exactly the top books in the field; ruse is a pretty cheap school; some books are really old etc
True, most if not all of our science videos are really old VHS and seem to be taped from shows kajillion years ago.
Don't know about how good textbooks are, but Physics Dotpoint workbook was recommended to us and seems to do a good job with the dot points of the syllabus.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
True, most if not all of our science videos are really old VHS and seem to be taped from shows kajillion years ago.
Don't know about how good textbooks are, but Physics Dotpoint workbook was recommended to us and seems to do a good job with the dot points of the syllabus.
That dotpoint has got so many errors in the answers it's not funny.

dp624

HSC
I am a vehement hater of the dot point series
i dno why

pillar

HSC
I am a vehement hater of the dot point series
i dno why
Ah shit, I was gonna get Dot Point Physics, lol. Still might.

Otherwise, what textbook would you suggest to go with Jacaranda (preferably one with plenty of questions + answers)?

k2nv

HSC
So they say they would not like to go James Ruse - its merely because you can't get into James Ruse. If I lived on the other side of the world and got accepted to James Ruse - I'd go. No matter what distance. And yes - it IS a privelege to go to that school.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
So they say they would not like to go James Ruse - its merely because you can't get into James Ruse. If I lived on the other side of the world and got accepted to James Ruse - I'd go. No matter what distance. And yes - it IS a privelege to go to that school.
I know a lot of smarmy Year 7 fuckers who think its their god given right to go to James Ruse. I would know, I'm a Peer Support Leader. The shit they talk, sometimes I just want to chuck them over the fence into the path of a car.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
I know a lot of smarmy Year 7 fuckers who think its their god given right to go to James Ruse. I would know, I'm a Peer Support Leader. The shit they talk, sometimes I just want to chuck them over the fence into the path of a car.
can u come to my skool

i give u permission to do that to the yr 7's

plus there is a major road nxt to our skool, would be verrry effective!!

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Turra ain't far for me, but I doubt I'd be able to do it, Year 7s at your school are probably massive. At Ruse they're 4 foot tall nerds with a pole rammed up their ass. Very easy to monster, even for me, and I'm only 5 foot 7. This is the sad thing about James Ruse, every year is just getting worse. Also Pacific Highway... A semi trailer would probably speed up to intentionally hit them, then back up over them to make sure they weren't moving.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
hahaha yeh half the yr 7's are taller than me and im in yr 12 =[[[[[
REALLY DEPRESSING!!!

but ur obviously in luck, more than just academic benefits if you go to ruse....

and turra not that far??? where do u live???
i know theres a ruse guy that lives in south turramurra in yr12 atm..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)