• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Teachers and the HSC: How do you put up with them? (3 Viewers)

jakedoesnt

HSC
Considering HSC is your final year of schooling, its a given that your teachers are meant to be there to help and guide you towards getting the best marks possible...

Of course there are many who are great at their job, but there are also some who aren't!

So, if you are someone who has found themselves the victim of a teacher's hopelessness/ uselessness/ unhelpfullness/ general disorganisation(ness) or anything else, let us know!
And feel free to leave any suggestions as to how someone might deal with problems like these.

Cheers

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Has happened to me before - the first was spiteful, unhelpful and targeted me, so I dropped the subject. It worked out well for me. For the others, I ususally just ignore them, and occasionally skip classes to do my own work, which is always more efficient.

jakedoesnt

HSC
haha sounds pretty good

I have a problem with my english teacher which sucks because i cant exactly get away from her haha

its shocking she just gives us handouts then berates us for not knowing enough when she doesnt even actually know anything herself.
its ridiculously frustrating

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
^^sounds like my eco teacher. i skip classes often to do my own work. got busted for it. two arvo detentions, level 2, note home. and a monitoring card to make sure i never try to maximise time efficiency in the pursuit of education again.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
^^sounds like my eco teacher. i skip classes often to do my own work. got busted for it. two arvo detentions, level 2, note home. and a monitoring card to make sure i never try to maximise time efficiency in the pursuit of education again.
Naughty boy.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm.. well My history teacher was like that in year 10... and I had her for english in year 8... so hald history is over and done with.. I actually developed a strong hate towards English due to that teacher, explains why i'm not too good with it now :( ... But I've left that school and now a new school, new teachers :D

Usually in history I would just put my head on the desk and pretty much be trying to sleep...I'd look up every 5 minutes to show i'm awake... once the teacher actually told me not to fall asleep while watching a boring movie on some war...

Sorry but I hate history

as for year 11, my business teacher is very boring.. we do about 4-8 overheads a lesson and nothing else, cant even skip classes or i'll miss out on too much work.. but lucky im dropping it next year :D

Also my english teacher is not a great teacher.. but what can I do?

any help anyone?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
My english teacher is amazing - always willing to help out, also if you email her any extra work (e.g. essays, creative writing, etc.) she marks it and gets it back to you the next day :)
Same for eco and sor 1 and maths
BUT.. my chem and phys teachers are not as... eager. especially my chem teacher, he tells u to do something and then he goes off walkabout, and most of the times he dwelves into unrelated topics, e.g him smacking his son lol... as for physics, the teacher doesnt know his facts properly, most of the time we correct him, the only thing he does is show off his iphone lol...

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hmm.. well My history teacher was like that in year 10... and I had her for english in year 8... so hald history is over and done with.. I actually developed a strong hate towards English due to that teacher, explains why i'm not too good with it now :( ... But I've left that school and now a new school, new teachers :D

Usually in history I would just put my head on the desk and pretty much be trying to sleep...I'd look up every 5 minutes to show i'm awake... once the teacher actually told me not to fall asleep while watching a boring movie on some war...

Sorry but I hate history

as for year 11, my business teacher is very boring.. we do about 4-8 overheads a lesson and nothing else, cant even skip classes or i'll miss out on too much work.. but lucky im dropping it next year :D

Also my english teacher is not a great teacher.. but what can I do?

any help anyone?
try and spend as little time doing the work they tell you and a lot of time doing your own study. you might get in trouble now and then for it, but its for your own good. its harder to do this with english, cos its one of those subjects that mostly needs to be taught, but if you teachers that bad then its probably time for some drastic measures.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
My english teacher is amazing - always willing to help out, also if you email her any extra work (e.g. essays, creative writing, etc.) she marks it and gets it back to you the next day :)
Same for eco and sor 1 and maths
BUT.. my chem and phys teachers are not as... eager. especially my chem teacher, he tells u to do something and then he goes off walkabout, and most of the times he dwelves into unrelated topics, e.g him smacking his son lol... as for physics, the teacher doesnt know his facts properly, most of the time we correct him, the only thing he does is show off his iphone lol...
Lol my Japanese teacher always did the same thing during Years 11 and 12, I had him since year 6 and he was an absolute champion. :)

But, back on topic, try to teach yourself the course. Study groups are a good idea in case you don't understand a particular aspect of it. If you teach yourself before each lesson what you will be learning, then on the off chance that your teacher actually teaches, you'll be learning it a second time so it's a good form of revision.

HSC
the majority of my teachers are pretty good =)
bio & cafs id say are the best. always willing to give up extra time like after school & stuff to help you =)

Hannargh

HSC
My English teacher is great, knows her stuff, and would go out of the way to help us. On the other hand, one of my art teachers is clueless, hardly helpful with any questions, and the other art teacher is getting frustrated because none of us know exactly where we are headed with our B.O.W.

gurusson

HSC
if u need help, get tutoring and ignore the homework the teacher sets

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Where to start..

My Maths class is mixed with 3u students AND 4u students, so half our time is wasted by 2u stuff. The teacher is also completely incompetent, doesn't realise that I (first in the class) know what's better for me than what the teacher is spoon feeding us. She doesn't know what's in the Syllabus properly, pretty much repeats what the Cambridge book says, in a worse and illogical manner, and she became a teacher after quitting her previous job that earned more than double her current pay (something to do with actuary). Wtf?
My Physics teacher is so stupid that when I got caught truanting heaps in Year 10, she moved me up to Selective (my school is part-selective) for 'motivation' instead of giving it to the braniac. I went on to fail Year 10 and Year 11. She's so stupid that she made 60% of our internal assessments are all based on First hand/Second hand data (ie. experiments), and our ONLY theory exam with proper fucking question is our Trials. All she does in class is get a projector to show everyone previous student's notes and she just talks through them. The only thing good about this teacher is that she actually explains the practicals pretty well :)
My Modern History teacher is really, really nice but has absolutely no brains. I feel guilty saying this crap about her 'cause she's really nice but all she does is photocopy notes and she spends weeks on the first Syllabus dotpoint and rushes through the rest. That said, she's really nice :D

The only teacher that I'm thankful to have is my English teacher. She's an absolute goldmine. Without her I'd be failing English for sure.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
I have some awesome teachers who go out of their way to help you anytime. Most of them are great but i hate my chemistry teacher she's an incompetent fool. I'm sure that she is very good and chem but her inability to do this thing called teaching means that no one in our class ever will be. Often she gives us calculation questions (i'm terrible at them) and for ages I sit there feeling completely stupid as I have no idea what is going on. And THEN she writes a completely new formula on the board. Why does she expect that I already know the information she is supposed to be teaching us. My english teacher pisses me off when he goes on strange tangents. Today he ranted on about feminism, bra burning and asked the guys in out class if they prefer 'good girls' or 'bad girls'. He has also told us weird stuff about he day as a rebel and about his IVF children and his views on stem cell research. My whole class hates him.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
try and spend as little time doing the work they tell you and a lot of time doing your own study. you might get in trouble now and then for it, but its for your own good. its harder to do this with english, cos its one of those subjects that mostly needs to be taught, but if you teachers that bad then its probably time for some drastic measures.
Any advice? Like I have no clue how to self study for english, i've tried tutoring before, they just went over the crap we did in school, so I quit.... (back in year 9 i think)

What can I do to improve with english? I would love to get a 93-95 for english in the HSC.. but at this rate, I doubt i'll even get 85 :(

As for business studies, I'm dropping it to pick up on 4unit maths, should be interesting

thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)