Heeeey guys ^ ^ help? (1 Viewer)

BrianJD

HSC
Yeah.. this'll be my first thread on a forum ever xD
but yeah id like your opinions :p
and if no one replys im gonna be so cut x"D

Right now im in year 11, and my subjects are:
- Maths 3 unit accelerator (um 2 unit maths done in a year and other unit next year..i think x'D)
- Chemistry
- Studies of Religion 1 unit
- Economics
- English Standard
- Visual Arts ^ ^

okay heres my problem
i thought id be okay with dropping economics cause im kinda bad at it with all the writing, next year and keeping my awesome visual arts, but apparently my sources tell me (friends) that since i do english standard and visual arts..id basically suck at the uai ranking or hsc through this bad ranking combo :S cause well it is a given that i know visual arts and especially english standard get pretty low.. but i thought that if i did really well theres still a possibility i could get high :S:S?? oh and also since i finish maths 2 unit this year id take up maths extension 2 or 1 next year ?? hehe ^ ^"
if that helps :p
i did search through the forum but could only find 1 thread about art :(
90+ uai ftw..

cheers guys (Y)

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
if you finish 2unit maths this year i.e sit hsc. Next year your 2 unit mark wont count, no matter what you get in HSC for ext1 and ext 2.

Its quite possible to get 90+, depending on how your other subjects are. If your final mark is all your subjects is 80+, your pretty much guranteed 90+.

btw: 100 UAI is possible with any subject combination.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah, they're low scaling, but if u do really well that doesn't matter,
and yeah if u shud 4unit if u can

undalay

HSC
Yeah.. this'll be my first thread on a forum ever xD
but yeah id like your opinions :p
and if no one replys im gonna be so cut x"D

Right now im in year 11, and my subjects are:
- Maths 3 unit accelerator (um 2 unit maths done in a year and other unit next year..i think x'D)
- Chemistry
- Studies of Religion 1 unit
- Economics
- English Standard
- Visual Arts ^ ^

okay heres my problem
i thought id be okay with dropping economics cause im kinda bad at it with all the writing, next year and keeping my awesome visual arts, but apparently my sources tell me (friends) that since i do english standard and visual arts..id basically suck at the uai ranking or hsc through this bad ranking combo :S cause well it is a given that i know visual arts and especially english standard get pretty low.. but i thought that if i did really well theres still a possibility i could get high :S:S?? oh and also since i finish maths 2 unit this year id take up maths extension 2 or 1 next year ?? hehe ^ ^"
if that helps :p
i did search through the forum but could only find 1 thread about art :(
90+ uai ftw..

cheers guys (Y)
90+ Is very achievable.
Do MX2 if you're good at math and like it.
Don't do eco if u don't like it, scaling won't help if u don't do well.
Do arts since you like it : )

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
English standard scales alrite... standard and advanced are scaled the same way.... but SAM shows the lets say 95 in Standard english being scaled higher then Advance.. but anywho.. visual arts is pretty low scaling... so maybe get 90+ in visual arts? also MX2!! go for it.. maths is awesome!!!!!!

studentcheese

HSC
Stick with Visual Arts and English Standard, then pick up MX2 in Yr 12. I don't think you'll be affected much in the scaling if you do well in English Standard. I'm pretty sure you'll do well in art since you seem to really like it. Pull a Band 5 in English and you should be fine. :D

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Stick with visual arts!!! :music::music::music:

Low scaling only affects you if you go badly in the subject. If you do well then it won't affect you. And the good scaling of economics will not help you if you go badly, if you get a bad mark you will still be scaled down.
Thus: Better to do really well at art than badly/even average in eco.
Plus you should do subjects you enjoy.. and you like art better right?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
English standard scales alrite... standard and advanced are scaled the same way.... but SAM shows the lets say 95 in Standard english being scaled higher then Advance.. but anywho.. visual arts is pretty low scaling... so maybe get 90+ in visual arts? also MX2!! go for it.. maths is awesome!!!!!!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but standard is one of the worst scaling subjects (barring those random subjects like aboriginal studies or whatever :spzz:)

Anyways, the sad truth is that scaling does affect your UAI a lot. If you're confident you can do very well in Visual Arts, then by all means keep it.
If you're not, but you reckon you can do decent in Economics, then you'll actually get a better UAI with Economics.
But yeah, usually if you like a subject you'll do better in it. In this case, you'll have to do a LOT better in it.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry to burst your bubble, but standard is one of the worst scaling subjects (barring those random subjects like aboriginal studies or whatever :spzz:)
lol alrite..

But, Since I have no clue on the scaling of English.. doesnt bother me.. I'm just going from what SAM indicated.. I'm guessing because 95 is an extremely high mark for Standard? no idea.. also English Standard & Advance are scaled the same (from what the UAC says, unless they lie?)

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
lol alrite..

But, Since I have no clue on the scaling of English.. doesnt bother me.. I'm just going from what SAM indicated.. I'm guessing because 95 is an extremely high mark for Standard? no idea.. also English Standard & Advance are scaled the same (from what the UAC says, unless they lie?)
95 in std is impossible, only like 1 or 2 people get 90+ in std, sometimes none. But some english teachers dont know what there on about, and compare english to maths. E.g my engliosh head teacher wouldn t let me do avd, and i m stuck with std english :burn:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Pretty sure they have the same scaling. lol.

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
btw: std and avd do have same scaling, its just median scale of avd is higher than std

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
95 in std is impossible, only like 1 or 2 people get 90+ in std, sometimes none. But some english teachers dont know what there on about, and compare english to maths. E.g my engliosh head teacher wouldn t let me do avd, and i m stuck with std english :burn:
Highest mark in Standard English, first in state, last year (2008) was 96 :) , Anything is possible if you put your mind to it... even counting stars :rofl:

I think there were about 5 or so people who got 90+ last year

BrianJD

HSC
hurrah thanks for the info guys >:]
it clears my head so i suppose ill just continue with my plan to drop economics next year :)

thanks againn

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Economics does not scale very nicely. Take up MX2 (if you can handle it... they are tempermental questions).

Good luck!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
^^^

I disagree, economics is a high scaling subject, not as good as MX2 but good, also depends on how well you perform

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)