Australian Politics (2 Viewers)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
I don't think its enough to make him lose his leadership, but it just might be the signal for some in the Liberal party to take a chance at it. Costello must be kicking himself.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
However, the real shock is that Turnbull’s personal ratings have suffered what Shanahan calls “the single biggest fall in the survey’s 25-year history”: his approval rating has plunged from 44 per cent to 25 per cent, while his disapproval is up from 37 per cent to 58 per cent. Fifty-two per cent do not believe that John Grant received preferential treatment from the Prime Minister against only 24 per cent who do. Kevin Rudd’s lead as preferred prime minister is up from 57-25 to 65-18.
- Pollbludger on the latest Newspoll

I'm just going to put this out there and if you don't like it just throw it right back to me: Turnbull made a slight mistake.

Lentern

HSC
I don't think its enough to make him lose his leadership, but it just might be the signal for some in the Liberal party to take a chance at it. Costello must be kicking himself.
Oh but Costello wasn't pursuing the leadership remember? Anyone who suggested that he wanted to be leading were just kids who watched too much yes minister and west wing.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Oh but Costello wasn't pursuing the leadership remember? Anyone who suggested that he wanted to be leading were just kids who watched too much yes minister and west wing.
...and?

Has something changed?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
How overly generous of Howard to let people keep their own money.
I know, right? I wish we could all live in Libertopia where the poor starve and savvy entrepreuners rich off the sweat of their own brow make said poor produce luxury goods for $1 an hour in sweat shops until they have cardiac arrests because there's no minimum wage laws, OH&S regulations, or wastes of taxpayer money like universal healthcare, public schooling, public hospitals, police force, fire brigades, etc.

The fact is, there's an optimal taxation level, it's not constant, and Hockey has the balls to admit both those things by suggesting it's time to stop lowering it, even citing a pretty solid reason - deficit issues. That takes guts when you're a member of the Liberal party gunning for leadership, but it's a move likely to resonate with independents and moderates of both parties, which is what the Liberal party needs.

volition

arr.
HSC
I know, right? I wish we could all live in Libertopia where the poor starve and savvy entrepreuners rich off the sweat of their own brow make said poor produce luxury goods for $1 an hour in sweat shops until they have cardiac arrests because there's no minimum wage laws, OH&S regulations, or wastes of taxpayer money like universal healthcare, public schooling, public hospitals, police force, fire brigades, etc.
You're misrepresenting the libertarian position, stop lying

It's not that libertarians want the poor to starve, its that the poor are better off without the harmful influence of the government and it's policies + taxation. Government against the poor

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
Hockey recommends pragmatism on tax cuts: Howard tax breaks 'too generous': Hockey - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

That man is a fucking champion and if I could ignore for a second that a vote for him is a vote for all the other Liberal stooges (especially the social conservatives), I would feel eminently comfortable voting for him as PM.
How does a so called deficit hawk advocate greater tax cuts at this time? Silly old bugger as a sillier older bugger would say.

Lentern

HSC
Anyone see the herald article about the two Tony leadership? What an appaling suggestion. Never mind the 101 reasons why Abbott should not lead but what would Smith reall add to the ticket as deputy?

I think there are three types of deputy leaders and Smith doesn't really fit any of them. Theres the older figure, more gravitas, sturdies the party, deeply respect etc etc which would be best served by Robb. The second but different leader kind of deputy like Costello, Gillard and Bishop. The younger, energetic, exciting but lacking gravitas, good heir apparent, Paul Keating style deputy of which the libs best choice would surely be Pyne.

How Smith fits into any of these I do not know. I realise he is young but he's hardly someone who you think will serve under a leader for eight years or so then when they decide to give it away he will inherit it.

If there is any truth to the story than it is a desperate attempt by the conservative wing of the party to stop yet another progressive(hockey) taking the leadership and distancing themselves from the Howard glory days.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I gave my views in the morgan poll.

Aside from 'who is your preferred leader'- federal, party level etc..., they were very interested in how much I would be influenced to buy a product over a competitor because it was 'made in Australia'.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
excerpt said:
Narrated by Robert Menzies. The 1996-2007 Howard government made the most determined attempt to change Australian society since the brief and revolutionary Whitlam era of the early 1970s. Was it successful?

SBS presents a provocative consideration of how this country changed as a result of one man's determination to make his mark. This first episode explores the political evolution of John Howard. His longest-serving Chief of Staff, Arthur Sinodinos speaks of the hurdles Howard had to overcome, including a lack of both elite connections and natural charisma, offset by patience, tenacity and ferocious ambition.

As we watch Howard's punishing 20-year journey towards the Prime Ministership in 1996, we see the lessons he's learning and can then watch the strategies he adopts to maintain power and maximise success.

The episode also examines the Howard record of economic management: the arena he prioritises as most crucial to power. By exploring the government's policies of choice, we better understand not just John Howard but the impact of his vision on Australia.
Liberal Rule, 8.30pm Tonight on SBS ONE.

Three-part series that should be interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)