• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Science and Math vs Humanities and the Arts (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I love maths and science, well the actual sciences AKA physics and chem. They're logical and explain how the world works and you can use them to make new things.

I detest english, but more specifically HSC english. Hate the analysis BS but i don't mind writing stories.

I love history - specifically Modern history which is actually my favourite subject. Learning about politics and the stupid decisions leaders make as well as the effects of war is just too awesome. The essays are great too as they are based on FACTS and not random implications that english wants us to make up.

I detested art theory but loved art prac work - twas good at the theory for some reason anyway. Looking at art is cool too ^^

In conclusion: Science, maths, the humanities and arts rule! English sucks.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Humanities is easier to do well in coz all you need is to study
That is the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

All subjects have their merits, regardless of your personal preference to say that either side is worthless or dumb is silly. Personally, i like humanities. Fuck yeah.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I guess i would have to pick humanities, though it really does depend on the subject..

I find science really fascinating but I'm just terrible at it, worst thing ever liking a subject and being bad at it.

spammy679

MLIA
HSC
Science & Maths FTW - although they do get dull sometimes
Humanities are fun too but marking is too subjective

Mehae

HSC
Math and Science 4 life!!! both areas are so interesting to learn and are key to advancements. some of the humanities are pretty interesting like history and eco, but the arts are pointless. especially ENGLISH!!!!! what a waste of time analyzing stupid texts which have nothing to do with anything and will help us with absolutely nothing in our lives. i guess my main point is that english is the worst subject and i hate it. but thats just me.

Math+Sciences>Humanities>Arts>poop>more poop>english

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Math and Science 4 life!!! both areas are so interesting to learn and are key to advancements. some of the humanities are pretty interesting like history and eco, but the arts are pointless. especially ENGLISH!!!!! what a waste of time analyzing stupid texts which have nothing to do with anything and will help us with absolutely nothing in our lives. i guess my main point is that english is the worst subject and i hate it. but thats just me.

Math+Sciences>Humanities>Arts>poop>more poop>english
the arts are pointless? oh my, you must be one of the most boring, lonely and dull souls on the face of the earth.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
  • Humanities are generally more enjoyable and easy.
  • Sciences are still enjoyable but have the element of challenge in them as well.
  • You have to work hard in humanities to avoid being pulled down.
  • Whereas in Sciences, you have to work at a normal rate in order to receive decent marks.
ohh yes... totally.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
i dont think it is lol
english is so damn subjective. It purely based on the individual perception. Someone may like an article, some don't. For example, i wrote a narrative got Participation :cry:, and the next year i wrote another narrative of the same standard and got HD.
If your lucky you may get a marker who likes your style of writing.

Last edited:
HSC
I'm a Math and Science sorta person but I do enjoy Humanities as well just the teacher we have sucks ass. Arts are pretty good but its the sorta thing I do at home to relax rather than do in a classroom. Maths and Science is where my career is heading :)

Mehae

HSC
the arts are pointless? oh my, you must be one of the most boring, lonely and dull souls on the face of the earth.
by the arts i predominately mean english and painting art. and yes, they are useless. but please tell me what they are good for. also im pretty sure that the arts are not going to cure me my boring, lonely and dull soul.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
by the arts i predominately mean english and painting art. and yes, they are useless. but please tell me what they are good for. also im pretty sure that the arts are not going to cure me my boring, lonely and dull soul.
Your telling me literature and art are pointless? They're an essential part of humanity you idiot. The arts are the life blood, if our race has any fucking soul left its communicated through art, whatever medium. The HSC provides a limited taste of both 'pointless' art forms you mentioned, and if you had a shred of intelligence you would realize that art and english transcend this narrow sample. Expression through art is one of the most amazing things that humans have ever achieved. What would life be without music, literature, poetry, history? Art gives people a voice. Forgive me if i sound like a pretentious wanker but your statement is completely ignorant.

Mehae

HSC
Your telling me literature and art are pointless? They're an essential part of humanity you idiot. The arts are the life blood, if our race has any fucking soul left its communicated through art, whatever medium. The HSC provides a limited taste of both 'pointless' art forms you mentioned, and if you had a shred of intelligence you would realize that art and english transcend this narrow sample. Expression through art is one of the most amazing things that humans have ever achieved. What would life be without music, literature, poetry, history? Art gives people a voice. Forgive me if i sound like a pretentious wanker but your statement is completely ignorant.
nah ure alright, you have your opinion, i have mine. you are right music is good, but personally literature and poetry are really boring and really stupid. literature should be a hobby for the people who enjoy it. it should not be forced upon everybody as a stupid subject. i know i am being slightly ignorant as you said but i still stand by my statement.

saberbladexx

HSC
I like drawing in my spare time.
The only humanities subject i'm interested in is Modern history.
Physics is good.

I LOVE Biology and enjoy Chemistry.

English is alright, you get used to it, and my teacher is good, she let us watch Scrubs on the last day of term 3 XD.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
but personally literature and poetry are really boring and really stupid. literature should be a hobby for the people who enjoy it. it should not be forced upon everybody as a stupid subject
Assuming English stays mandatory (in order to compare marks), what would you suggest as an alternative to studying texts? I can assure you, you'd soon regret doing a years worth of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and meta-language.

klaris

HSC
I have ALWAYS been a humanities/literature person. Even when I was 5.

I remember in primary school writing like two pages of a story and then being like 'pft.' at HSIE and maths. Even back then I would've prefered to poke my eyes out with extremely sharp pencils than do maths and science.

I love English because it has passion. It has love and hate and war and peace and indifference and sympathy and it has life. It questions society and our roles, our methods of living...our everything. It is the essence of us. Sure, maths and science - woohhoo. but who cares if you can't articulate yourself properly and you stutter and can't say half the Greek words they have?

Passion. It's inside all of us. I've seen few passionate people.
Most are bored or whinging or whatever.
But I have, on the rare occasion, seen someone bursting with life and so zealous they could be on top of the world. They have that natural charm and that look in their eyes that kind of challenges everything you believe in and say. They bounce of the balls of their feet and their hair is a bit ruffled from being so excited that they don't care what the cynics or anyone else thinks. Their dimples accentuate their happiness and their smile isn't the car-saleperson kind it is the real, genuine thing and for a second you wonder, you have that natural curiosity slowly eating away inside your gut and you think, for that one second, 'Why are they so happy? How come I'm not like that?' It isn't a person's looks or their weight or their hair that brings them to life. It's what they do with those features. Some of the most passionate, happy, content and just generally cheery and zealous people don't all have supermodel looks and only eat a scrap of lettuce to keep them going.
It's their passion that brings them to life.

I wouldn't be able to put such a vivid picture in your head if it wasn't for the arts and humanities.

HSC
klaris, perhaps it's my mood, but you didn't capture my attention much. You seem lost in a HSC-style verbosity.

The creative arts are communicative, as well as evocative of higher thought processes. Meanwhile, the sciences and mathematics are also very interesting. Some areas of humanities are a bit of a wank, in my opinion.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I have ALWAYS been a humanities/literature person. Even when I was 5.

I remember in primary school writing like two pages of a story and then being like 'pft.' at HSIE and maths. Even back then I would've prefered to poke my eyes out with extremely sharp pencils than do maths and science.

I love English because it has passion. It has love and hate and war and peace and indifference and sympathy and it has life. It questions society and our roles, our methods of living...our everything. It is the essence of us. Sure, maths and science - woohhoo. but who cares if you can't articulate yourself properly and you stutter and can't say half the Greek words they have?

Passion. It's inside all of us. I've seen few passionate people.
Most are bored or whinging or whatever.
But I have, on the rare occasion, seen someone bursting with life and so zealous they could be on top of the world. They have that natural charm and that look in their eyes that kind of challenges everything you believe in and say. They bounce of the balls of their feet and their hair is a bit ruffled from being so excited that they don't care what the cynics or anyone else thinks. Their dimples accentuate their happiness and their smile isn't the car-saleperson kind it is the real, genuine thing and for a second you wonder, you have that natural curiosity slowly eating away inside your gut and you think, for that one second, 'Why are they so happy? How come I'm not like that?' It isn't a person's looks or their weight or their hair that brings them to life. It's what they do with those features. Some of the most passionate, happy, content and just generally cheery and zealous people don't all have supermodel looks and only eat a scrap of lettuce to keep them going.
It's their passion that brings them to life.

I wouldn't be able to put such a vivid picture in your head if it wasn't for the arts and humanities.

I....I have dimples!

klaris

HSC
maths may be a 'universal' language but its cold, hard and lifeless. It has that ONE right answer and everything else is completely useless to you.

your quote didn't work either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)