why english is compulsary (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"why english is compulsary"

It's so people won't spell and punctuate like you do...

technicolour

HSC
this is why it's compulsory.
I'm with you 100%. I know people that have left school that get mocked because of their inability to write a coherent and structured formal letter. English teaches you to thing about things in a variety of ways and write so you don't sound like a douchebag. If you don't like it, deal with it. English isn't going anywhere.

I'm also with may cat. Do you know how fucking bored you'd get talking about punctuation for an entire year? Spare me the pain.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Then again, people who would even make formal letters would take the Extension or Advanced English classes anyway. The majority of Standard English people would rather send garbled text messages or emails with punctuation and the swear word or two, or three, or four, or forty.

spence

HSC
i dont know why english is compulsary, its not like you and me are going to use it after the hsc, like is simile really going to help me find a job, you may say that english helps with elocution but seriously that could be learnt later on in life.
It's not meant to be a vocational course, and the HSC is not a vocational qualification. I don't know why every argument against English is that it won't get you a job, that's not the point of education. If vocational education is what you need, go to tafe.

speedofsound

HSC
sorry, but it's so frustratingly ironic when people post threads all like OMG Y WE HAZ 2 DO ENRISH IT'Z SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UNFAIR!!1111 and can't even spell the title of the thread properly.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I for one am encouraged by people like them. It's people like them who bump up our ATARS from 90 to 95.

technicolour

HSC
Well, I for one am encouraged by people like them. It's people like them who bump up our ATARS from 90 to 95.
LOL. True.

Ask anyone who finished school if they still use the majority of things they learnt. They'll say no, but it's still necessary for people to get an education. Unless you'd like to be a dole bludger for the rest of your life.

hosay

HSC
N/A
English is 'supposed' to help you build all these skills, but in reality it just develops hate and prevents many extremely intelligent people achieving 99.95 atar. English was good before 2001, when all the science subjects were maths based. But when Physics and Chemistry asks your to write two pages evaluating the impact of something on society, its pretty much given that you have literary skills. What im saying is, that getting a Band 6 in anything except maths (of course) means that you have higher order communication skills as you not only know your work, but can express it quite well. All i have learnt from english is ways to get around reading a book, and how to use other peoples information to get my own ideas(not plagerism btw), and write essays which i memorise.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah, I heard my teachers whinging about how "Physics wasn't fun anymore after the BoS decided that everyone should have the ability to do Physics, so they cut out all the good stuff". I agree, basic trigonometry and applying equations isn't exactly awe-inspiring, although the general society has not caught up and exposed HSC Physics to be well... elementary Physics.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
yeh dont you know useful a good knowledge of shakespeare is in these modern times?
Never said it was useful. [Never said it wasn't useful either.] All I said is that no amount of students bitching about it is gonna change anything.
lol, you have obviously never studied complex grammar, 90% of students would be gnawing their arms off after the first month.
Hahahahaha. Just out of curiosity, how complex can grammar get? My naive self had thought that most students that could get Band 6 have generally mastered most aspects of grammar.

HSC
Uni Grad
It shouldnt be compulsary and needs a serious board of studies review imo. You dont 'learn' anything, it's merely linking random crap with random crap and no meaning or fact behind it. The ridiculous over analysis of potentially decent texts ruins them and we draw inferences and implications that are highly unlikely to have been intended by the author. It's sad that it has to be compulsory and worse that it contributes to uai.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
When I was in year 6, I thought when we got to secondary school, I was going to learn on the use of semi colons, hyphens, tildes, reverse slashes and all that jazz. But no. What did I get launched into? Read this book, and what does this say about this and this? How does this book relate to this and this? What does this book suggest and how does it reflect society or this or this, in this, this and this?

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
you may say that english helps with elocution but seriously that could be learnt later on in life.

Lol, bcoz u ttlly wnt 2 b tlkn lyk dis 4 da rest of ur lyf, rite?

please...the only thing they really need to fix in english is stop making teachers so damn subjective in marking.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My maths teacher summed that up as: "In maths, there is one definitive set of answers. English loves that cloudy gray area..."

Which is true.

thomas477

HSC
I reckon there should be a compulsory subject in the HSC - but make it any 2 units English OR Maths. That way there is still a compulsay subject, but it offers a shitload more choice

Rage01

HSC

please...the only thing they really need to fix in english is stop making teachers so damn subjective in marking.
they try to do that by having two teachers mark something and taking the average

HSC
Uni Grad
When I was in year 6, I thought when we got to secondary school, I was going to learn on the use of semi colons, hyphens, tildes, reverse slashes and all that jazz. But no. What did I get launched into? Read this book, and what does this say about this and this? How does this book relate to this and this? What does this book suggest and how does it reflect society or this or this, in this, this and this?
I know aye haha. I still dont know which is semi colon and which is colon, or the difference in their uses. One is a list or something...

That's prolly more primary school but yeh, I cant stand people who talk like that, even in text messages. Whenever I see it i think, even if you are a dumbass why do you have to display it so openly.

I reckon there should be a compulsory subject in the HSC - but make it any 2 units English OR Maths. That way there is still a compulsay subject, but it offers a shitload more choice
Sounds good.

0bs3n3

HSC
It shouldnt be compulsary and needs a serious board of studies review imo. You dont 'learn' anything, it's merely linking random crap with random crap and no meaning or fact behind it. The ridiculous over analysis of potentially decent texts ruins them and we draw inferences and implications that are highly unlikely to have been intended by the author. It's sad that it has to be compulsory and worse that it contributes to uai.
On this topic, how many of you actually believe the thesis that you draw from your texts? I sure as hell don't lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)