Who thinks the HSC is unfair? (2 Viewers)

noelknows

HSC
LOL that's not a very good argument considering some think he is asleep on the job but then again those comments should be reserved for NCAP section :p.
Yeah sorry suling, jelly belly's right, rudd does actually sleep on the job. He just catches up on the other 4 hours - every single day- during question time, while he gives speeches, or makes diplomatic visits. Seriously, watch him doing a press conference. You can see the sleeping head lolling and dribbling behind the awake, talking one that the left-leaning ABC news has pasted over it.

philphie

Banned
HSC
ok, i just thought of something, get uac out of the picture. do the hsc as it is and at the end of it we have a report card with our marks on it. that way there isn't any of this scaling business. then we personally approach whatever uni we want, it works for the Americans. if your marks aren't enough, an essay, extracurriculars, an interview. the education system in America is way larger than ours and they can manage this system, why can't we? so there isn't any of this complaining about scaling because different kinds of subjects won't be compared.

the system is too uniform, and quite unnecessarily as well.

G4_SuperTeam

HSC
Because English is fucking gay.
lol. yeah, ppl tend to despise subjects that they dont see as useful.

i, for example, have an intense hatred of general maths and society & culture. Two subjects that i find UTTERLY useless. they have no practical purpose. General maths = repeating yr 9 and 10 maths, soc & cult = useless analysis of societies in the world. (some people i know are doing majors about the origins of last names)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Because English is fucking gay.
Thats different since you are forced to take it, i mean subjects that you do not take.

EDIT: to the above, but why waste energy over something like that, so you don't see it as relevant- why does that bother you so much?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I never got why people 'despise' other subjects, you can not be good at them or not be interested in them but why does that have to manifest itself into hostility?
Well, it's not really 'hostility', it's more that those people would hate to be stuck doing it. I 'despise' Visual Arts, but that's because I wouldn't want to do it myself, and I personally don't consider it valuable for my situation, but I don't mind if someone else does it.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Well thats fine, but so many people really do get fired up and seem to enjoy making others feel bad about their interests be it science or humanities or creative arts or whatever. I just don't understand the point to it all, it doesn't achieve anything.

noelknows

HSC
ok, i just thought of something, get uac out of the picture. do the hsc as it is and at the end of it we have a report card with our marks on it. that way there isn't any of this scaling business. then we personally approach whatever uni we want, it works for the Americans. if your marks aren't enough, an essay, extracurriculars, an interview. the education system in America is way larger than ours and they can manage this system, why can't we? so there isn't any of this complaining about scaling because different kinds of subjects won't be compared.

That system would only result in the wealthier applicants getting priority.

ajdlinux

HSC

The US system developed mostly as a consequence of their non-uniform secondary school system, with more state and local government bodies setting different educational standards, and many different types of high school diplomas. I don't know if there's any evidence to suggest whether that sort of decentralised system is on the whole better or worse than the more uniform system we have here.

ajdlinux

HSC
Well thats fine, but so many people really do get fired up and seem to enjoy making others feel bad about their interests be it science or humanities or creative arts or whatever. I just don't understand the point to it all, it doesn't achieve anything.
Nor does it achieve anything debating the merits of a university admission scheme that we can't change, as we have been doing for most of this thread. It doesn't need to have a point - people like to share opinions and discuss things even without a practical consequence.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Nor does it achieve anything debating the merits of a university admission scheme that we can't change, as we have been doing for most of this thread. It doesn't need to have a point - people like to share opinions and discuss things even without a practical consequence.
Theres a difference between debating the merits of the HSC and making people feel like shit about their career choices. The HSC affects you, the life choices of others do not.

philphie

Banned
HSC
That system would only result in the wealthier applicants getting priority.
i didn't suggest their entire system, i never said anything about getting rid of hecs. unlike the US the majority of our tertiary education is public so that part would remain the same, only different methods of admission, it has nothing to do with those who can pay upfront have preference and the system would still be heavily reliant on marks but the universities will actually see where these marks came from rather then just an index number

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)