Let's Agree to Disagree (1 Viewer)

Debauchee

HSC
My guess is that your lack of knowledge isn't restricted to Somalia.

I have a thorough understanding of Somalia's politics and recent history, and it is for this reason I know that "If you don't like the state go to Somalia" is a stupid thing to say and the person who said it is more likely than not a moron.

It's funny how this is you: "omg he doesn't share my hard-on for government he must be dumb"

Debauchee

HSC
I don't understand this thread
basically what I'm saying is:

Statists (those who believe in the legitimacy/necessity of the state) will say to me "Let's agree to disagree".

This would imply that they're saying "oh you have differebnt views that's okay let's stop arguing and live and let live"

Except, at the end of the day, my beliefs don't affect them, BUT, their beliefs do affect me because they're enforced at gunpoint, and I can't escape this unless I leave the country*: hardly "live and let live"

*: over which they have no legitimate authority, other than they have the biggest guns.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
basically what I'm saying is:

Statists (those who believe in the legitimacy/necessity of the state) will say to me "Let's agree to disagree".

This would imply that they're saying "oh you have differebnt views that's okay let's stop arguing and live and let live"

Except, at the end of the day, my beliefs don't affect them, BUT, their beliefs do affect me because they're enforced at gunpoint, and I can't escape this unless I leave the country*: hardly "live and let live"

*: over which they have no legitimate authority, other than they have the biggest guns.
there is no other type of authority

Debauchee

HSC
there is no other type of authority
whilst the workings of a justice/law enforcement system in a stateless society, based on inter-subjective consensus etc are complex, you're essentially right to some degree.

I said it not to distinguish from legitimate authority so much, but rather because most people just presuppose the state's authority as legitimate

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It's funny how this is you: "omg he doesn't share my hard-on for government he must be dumb"
I'm a civil libertarian. I have anything but a hard-on for the government.

You, on the other hand, ARE dumb.

Debauchee

HSC
I'm a civil libertarian.
civil libertarian: "Government shouldn't be able to initiate force against its citizens to tell them what they can and can't do. Oh but if they want to use force to take money from said citizens who gives a fuck."

I have anything but a hard-on for the government.
and yet you support government owned everything, government interventions everywhere, government regulations everywhere....

badquinton304

HSC
civil libertarian: "Government shouldn't be able to initiate force against its citizens to tell them what they can and can't do. Oh but if they want to use force to take money from said citizens who gives a fuck."

and yet you support government owned everything, government interventions everywhere, government regulations everywhere....
AC or else we are all oppressed slaves living in utter misery.

Lentern

HSC
fuck off you dolt. ACism is ANTI utopian.

The real fantasy is this fucking "lala land" you call the state.
Go ahead, fiddle whilst Rome burns, why should I care if your precious market doesn't put out the fire.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
Go ahead, fiddle whilst Rome burns, why should I care if your precious market doesn't put out the fire.
why do you keep saying while Rome burned? one of the main reasons the Roman empire collapsed was Government inefficiency?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
No. A lot of civil libertarians are also economic libertarians, or straight-out anarchists or varying flavours. Your stupidity ever amuses me. I'd suggest you start with a basic education on set theory if you want to improve your currently piss-poor record on rational thought.

Do I? That's good to know - here I thought I was an economic utilitarian with a growing soft spot for less - and more evidence-based - regulation. But I guess you'd know better, considering how uninformed you are. Oh wait.

Lentern

HSC
well then stop using a phrase that has nothing to do with anything and is just making you the victim of tragic irony
Now I know what its like for an agnostic discussing religion with a fundamentalist.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
Now I know what its like for an agnostic discussing religion with a fundamentalist.
capitalism works, it allocates resources as efficiently as possible, government intervention and regulation fucks up capitalism what is your problem with that statement?

Debauchee

HSC
No. A lot of civil libertarians are also economic libertarians, or straight-out anarchists or varying flavours. Your stupidity ever amuses me. I'd suggest you start with a basic education on set theory if you want to improve your currently piss-poor record on rational thought.

why the fuck would those libertarians call themselves "civil libertarians" when they're just libertarians full stop?

Lentern

HSC
capitalism works, it allocates resources as efficiently as possible, government intervention and regulation fucks up capitalism what is your problem with that statement?
God exists, he created everything that we know to be bound by the laws of science yet preceded them therefore is not bound by the laws of science and cannot be validated by scientific testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)