• I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters
X

xeuyrawp

Re: Laptop Vs Paper

Indeed, it is subjective, but in asking for subjective answers, you get many points of view. Subjective points of view allow the O.P to see the points of both and decide what would most likely suit them before doing either. Usually this decision is the right one.
The point is that other people's points of views are almost completely irrelevant in this case. How you do your study is best figured out by yourself - in one of my classes where we work through a textbook on a language, there is someone who uses an iPad and doodles/types on-top of the pdf in like sticky note things, another person who types on a laptop, someone who writes extra notes in a notepad, and someone (me) who writes *everything* on the blank page opposite the text.

I'm not sure how everyone then revises, but I go home and then re-write the book and my notes in succinct points into a smaller notebook.

Literally 4 different ways of taking notes and revising for 4 people in the class.

And that's just that one class.

I really subscribe to the view that the key to doing well academically is to find a way that works for you. You just need to think about what you need to do for the subject - what you need to remember, what you need to keep (and if so, at what level of accessibility), and what you can discard.

X

xeuyrawp

And yet, it's an extraordinarily valid point.

It's been shown that some students benefit from learning the same way that they're expected to be assessed - ie by writing (by hand).

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

It's been shown that some students benefit from learning the same way that they're expected to be assessed - ie by writing (by hand).
Well, I suppose there would some sort of level of comfort and compatibility with the way they're going to be assessed?

X

xeuyrawp

Well, I suppose there would some sort of level of comfort and compatibility with the way they're going to be assessed?
Yes - but also there's a type of recognition (I forget what it's called) involved. It's basically the same as writing out -- as opposed to sounding out -- how a word's spelt; that's how you 'know' the word.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

Yes - but also there's a type of recognition (I forget what it's called) involved. It's basically the same as writing out -- as opposed to sounding out -- how a word's spelt; that's how you 'know' the word.
That's actually quite interesting. Well, I've noticed I tend to pick up words almost instantly once I'm able to spell it out on a piece of paper.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

Interesting

Guess thats why my computer science/stats exams are so poor

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

I think pen and paper should do the trick nicely!

However, laptops are unbeatable because you can store heaps of PDFs, take things down quickly and have a plethora of uses. I think I'll be using a combination of both!

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

Pen and paper. That way you'll make your notes very concise and cut unnecessary stuff.

horseluver29

HSC

If you do type your notes onto a laptop, make sure you back up your files cos if it crashes you will be up the creek without a paddle!

Lou283

HSC

It's worth thinking about how you best study too. For me, I find it insanely difficult to revise electronic documents on my laptop - I found out quickly to be able to revise and retain anything I need to have something printed out and physically in front of me so I can highlight, write notes etc. But that is just me and it's best to try and work that out. That's why I mostly use pen and paper during lectures, I actually just print the lecture slides out and write next to them so that I know what notes go with what.

I do take my laptop to uni most days though because I did have one lecturer last year who was so enthusiastic they talked at a million miles an hour. A part from being exhausting to listen to it was much easy and quicker to type and then write it up later. Also I find when I have gaps the laptop comes in very useful for doing asignments etc and that's why I bring my laptop. On a nother note I have lecturers that ask you not to use your laptop, but they are few and far between. I did find having my laptop was sometimes distracting and some people just browse facebook the entire lecture.

Perhaps the first day I would suggest just taking a pad and pen and seeing how you go. See how many people in the lecture are using laptops and whether you think it would be easier to type. Then the next lecture take you laptop (have a pad in your pen for drawing diagrams etc) and see what feels better. It's all personal preference and you will really only know what works best for you by trying both. I agree though for things like Statistics and maths based units that a laptop would be useless as its easier just to do equations and things on a pad and paper.

P

pinkcupcakes

my iPad of course!
- i can easily hand write and type.

X

xeuyrawp

It's worth thinking about how you best study too. For me, I find it insanely difficult to revise electronic documents on my laptop - I found out quickly to be able to revise and retain anything I need to have something printed out and physically in front of me so I can highlight, write notes etc. But that is just me and it's best to try and work that out. That's why I mostly use pen and paper during lectures, I actually just print the lecture slides out and write next to them so that I know what notes go with what.

I do take my laptop to uni most days though because I did have one lecturer last year who was so enthusiastic they talked at a million miles an hour. A part from being exhausting to listen to it was much easy and quicker to type and then write it up later. Also I find when I have gaps the laptop comes in very useful for doing asignments etc and that's why I bring my laptop. On a nother note I have lecturers that ask you not to use your laptop, but they are few and far between. I did find having my laptop was sometimes distracting and some people just browse facebook the entire lecture.

Perhaps the first day I would suggest just taking a pad and pen and seeing how you go. See how many people in the lecture are using laptops and whether you think it would be easier to type. Then the next lecture take you laptop (have a pad in your pen for drawing diagrams etc) and see what feels better. It's all personal preference and you will really only know what works best for you by trying both. I agree though for things like Statistics and maths based units that a laptop would be useless as its easier just to do equations and things on a pad and paper.
Completely agree; start low-tech and then move up from there if you think that it'll work out.

Also remember that what works for one subject might not work for another - you should just do what works imo.

sinophile

HSC
N/A

Paper all the way bro. When I write on laptop nothing sinks in.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Re: Is there any use bringing a laptop to uni?

Definitely. You can use it to take notes (if you prefer that to writing, which I do) and you'll need access to online resources to do assignments and things like that - whilst of course you could use uni computers to do that, having your own machine can be useful. I almost always have my laptop with me, I find it indispensable.

soporific

HSC

Yes, I think it'd be very useful for taking down notes in case you have messy handwriting and type faster than you do writing by hand (like myself).

I think those mini laptops/notebooks people seem to have these days seem pretty convenient. They'd be *obviously* very lightweight and portable too =)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

There'd also be powerpoints around in say - the library - to keep it on wall power, right?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah I was wondering whether to bring mine. I'd rather type out my notes because I'm faster at it than writing. Do many people use laptops for notemaking in lectures?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)