Requirements of Extension 2 Mathematics (2 Viewers)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately since the sticky threads still don't work, generally you should be averaging 70% or more to do MX2. Rough guide. It's different for everybody.
Supposed to be 80+ for us :L
Pretty much anyone could. No one from my year was rejected, and a person from the 3rd Maths class in Year 10 did 3U at the start of Year 11 (they ended up dropping after the first term though).

Basically if you want to do it you can at my school. The teachers make recommendations to you, but ultimately you pretty much have the final say.
At my school my friend was rejected for mathematics and now he does MX1 very well at another school, he taught himself most of the course.

nae_13

Premium Member
HSC
Pretty much anyone could. No one from my year was rejected, and a person from the 3rd Maths class in Year 10 did 3U at the start of Year 11 (they ended up dropping after the first term though).

Basically if you want to do it you can at my school. The teachers make recommendations to you, but ultimately you pretty much have the final say.
My school is the same. I dont know if its public schools? Cause around my area its only private or selective that have restrictions on who can do a class

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
My school is the same. I dont know if its public schools? Cause around my area its only private or selective that have restrictions on who can do a class
Probably is, mines a public school. We aren't really re-known for our academic achievements so I think they want to give everyone a chance.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
The private/selective schools are more worried about their performance, that is why. I have around 5-10 students in my current Year 12 Physics classes who should not be there, if they were not there, then my percentages of band 4/5/6 would go up and my lower bands would go down.

Say I have 30 students doing Physics, but if I had it my way I would have 20.

Out of the 20 students who I think should be doing Physics, 4 of them get band 6, 10 band 5 and 6 band 4.

Out of the 10 students who I think should not be doing Physics 1 gets a band 4, 3 get band 3, 5 get band 2 and 1 gets band 1.

What gets reported is the 'percentage' of students who achieve in whichever band and schools gets judged whether or not they are on-par/above/below the average.

In the scenario with 20 students I have 20% Band 6, 50% Band 5, 30% Band 4

In the scenario with 30 students I now have 13% Band 6, 33% band 5, 23% Band 4, 10% Band 3, 17% Band 2, 3% Band 1.

With these statistics, the top scenario appears to be better, but in reality they are the same, its just that the bottom scenario allows the students in who perhaps should not be doing the course..

This is where the statistics which 'compare schools' are flawed.

Which teacher has been more successful?
Teacher A: Taught students who all achieved band 6 in School Cert Science and Maths. Achieves HSC marks of 40% Band 6, 50% Band 5 and 10% Band 6
Teacher B: Taught students who all achieved the lowest band in School Cert Science and Maths. HSC marks of 0% Band 6, 0% Band 5, 10% Band 4, 30% Band 3, 60% Band 2.

Although the reported statistics show that Teacher A has been more successful due to the absolute marks, to me it seems like Teacher B has added more value to the education of the students. That is what should be important, how much they improve by. Not what mark they get.

nae_13

Premium Member
HSC
Teacher B: Taught students who all achieved the lowest band in School Cert Science and Maths. HSC marks of 0% Band 6, 0% Band 5, 10% Band 4, 30% Band 3, 60% Band 2.
60% Band 2 is pretty shameful. No matter what they got in the school certificate. Although I agree on the concept :]

mirakon

nigga
HSC
The private/selective schools are more worried about their performance, that is why. I have around 5-10 students in my current Year 12 Physics classes who should not be there, if they were not there, then my percentages of band 4/5/6 would go up and my lower bands would go down.

Say I have 30 students doing Physics, but if I had it my way I would have 20.

Out of the 20 students who I think should be doing Physics, 4 of them get band 6, 10 band 5 and 6 band 4.

Out of the 10 students who I think should not be doing Physics 1 gets a band 4, 3 get band 3, 5 get band 2 and 1 gets band 1.

What gets reported is the 'percentage' of students who achieve in whichever band and schools gets judged whether or not they are on-par/above/below the average.

In the scenario with 20 students I have 20% Band 6, 50% Band 5, 30% Band 4

In the scenario with 30 students I now have 13% Band 6, 33% band 5, 23% Band 4, 10% Band 3, 17% Band 2, 3% Band 1.

With these statistics, the top scenario appears to be better, but in reality they are the same, its just that the bottom scenario allows the students in who perhaps should not be doing the course..

This is where the statistics which 'compare schools' are flawed.

Which teacher has been more successful?
Teacher A: Taught students who all achieved band 6 in School Cert Science and Maths. Achieves HSC marks of 40% Band 6, 50% Band 5 and 10% Band 6

Although the reported statistics show that Teacher A has been more successful due to the absolute marks, to me it seems like Teacher B has added more value to the education of the students. That is what should be important, how much they improve by. Not what mark they get.
something wrong here....

HSC
Uni Grad
We usually get about 15 people each year if the school is kind. Then, half the people drop it. I doubt it will be full next year, our cohorts aren't that brilliant at maths.
Our school can allow up to 20 people doing it, but then again nowadays the cohorts are less than 10; heck my cohort has 8 and the previous cohort had 5.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Our school can allow up to 20 people doing it, but then again nowadays the cohorts are less than 10; heck my cohort has 8 and the previous cohort had 5.
I still don't agree with you on our Year 11 cohort, I still think your year group is better.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
something wrong here....
lol, my bad =)

40% Band 6, 50% Band 5 and 10% Band 4

=)

You know what I mean =)

?

Im qualified to teach all of them. Dont currently teach all of them at my school though. I do tutor students for each subject.

Just dont ask me anything about English, k? =)

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
I still don't agree with you on our Year 11 cohort, I still think your year group is better.
lol how come? I still reckon your cohort has more potential than our cohort because of the rather hardworking nature of the students in your cohort, compared with our cohort... we just chilled in year 11 and we're still chilling in year 12 =_=

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Hey hey hey I...I urm I like it.

Okay, I'll go to my little corner again.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
?

Im qualified to teach all of them. Dont currently teach all of them at my school though. I do tutor students for each subject.

Just dont ask me anything about English, k? =)
High School Physics/Maths/Chemistry/Engineering Studies/Business Studies/Economics/ Teacher
High School Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Engineering Studies, Business Studies, Economics and Teacher?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)