What should I do? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Okay, so I really want to do 3U Maths, and all my friends think I'm crazy and I won't be able to cope, but I really believe I can do it, and perhaps even do 4U in Year 12. The problems is that no one else thinks I can do it, because I'm not in the "advanced" class in my school, just the "intermediate" class. My marks in intermediate are pretty good, in my opinion. I got an C on my report but it's only because if you're not in the advanced class you can't get an A and only the top 2 people in Intermediate get a B. These are my marks in tests so far.

Trig (30/31)

Congruence (20/24)

Simultaneous Equations (36/40)

Half Yearly (48/60)

Non Calculator Half Yearly (18/24)

Curve Sketching (34/35)

Is this not good enough for Ext 1? I don't know what to do. I really want to do it but everyone keeps telling me it will be too hard:( And I will probably be the only person in the whole intermediate cohort to do it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, you go put down 'Maths Extension 1' as one of your choices for Year 11 and you take the subject. If a teacher or someone else questions you, say you want to try it first - and tell them that if it gets too hard, you can always drop the subject.

If you want to do it, do it. Who cares what other people think. Your marks are seemingly good enough - so why not have a try?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just give it a go, and if you can cope, continue with it, who cares what anyone else thinks? and those marks seem pretty decent...

Just give it a shot, no one's stopping you.

muzeikchun852

HSC
to tell you the truth - you are actually in the border line of doing extension. but why not? just choose extension for now and see how you cope with it. if its too much for you, you can drop it anytime.

on a side note: you aren't allow to "go up to" extension once you chosen 2u.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ummm yes that is good enough for mx1
just do it it scales brilliantly

HSC
How bad is the course? Isn't it just harder algebra, harder integral calculus, and more work? It's more advanced 2U concepts? I haven't learnt calculus but we never learn that in Year 10 or any year before, so I don't see why I should be scared of something I haven't learnt.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
How bad is the course? Isn't it just harder algebra, harder integral calculus, and more work? It's more advanced 2U concepts? I haven't learnt calculus but we never learn that in Year 10 or any year before, so I don't see why I should be scared of something I haven't learnt.
JUST DO IT if you arent any good at it you can drop it after year 11 anyway which is what most of my class did when i was in year 11. better just do it, because you cant pick it up for year 12, yet you can drop it. soyeah

there is also a few new concepts you dont do in 2U.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah its not that bad. It's just work. Your makes make you seem like you understand maths somewhat :). So if you do your homework and stuff, you'll be fine.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Look at the syllabus, or flick through a 3u textbook - your school should have a few lying around.

It's more work, obviously - but as we said, see how you go. Give it a shot.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
My school rank is 58
my school rank was 350 or something and I still did ext with 2 other smart ppl
just do it, you wont regret it

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
just man up and do it seriously alright. i was doing freakin 5.2 maths in year 9 in a crappy skool, then i moved to a good skool where im first for mx1 and third for mx2. i only realised i was good at maths late in year 11 bcuz i had lost confidence in previous years just like u seem to have, so DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU U CANT DO MATHS IF YOU REALLY THINK U CAN.

If you think your srsly struggling halfway through next year just drop it. but im telling u right now, one assessment is all it takes for someone like you to get the confidence to own maths.

Gigacube

HSC
How does my school rank matter?
If it's high which is top 150, it means that the standard in your school is probably higher than other schools.

You may feel that you aren't smart enough to do it but in comparison with the state you are smart enough.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Go up to your maths head teacher and look him/her in the eye. Say Sir/Madam, let me do 3 Unit Mathematics. Follow him/her around. Don't stop following until he/she abides.

In all seriousness, plead with him/her. The qualities you need to have in order to do 3 Unit are: Passion, consistency and a good foundation of algebra. It seems to me like you have all of them.

Good luck.

Edit: Just thought of this quote:

"There are two types of people in the world. Those whose doors are opened by other people, and those whose doors are opened by themselves." SpiralFlex

Point is, take action now. Don't wait until it is too late. Don't listen to what other people think. It's about yourself. People can think that you are fat, skinny, no life, whatever. Do it if you think you can do it. Unless you have a person that follows you 24/7. They have no right in saying that you cannot do it.

bleakarcher

HSC
yeh, u will do fine. my friendz brother, also a friend of mine failed maths in his junior yrz. he begged the shit out my head teacher, she let him do it. he got a band e3, while je still wasnt srs. the course, in my opinion, is way too hyped

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
yeh, u will do fine. my friendz brother, also a friend of mine failed maths in his junior yrz. he begged the shit out my head teacher, she let him do it. he got a band e3, while je still wasnt srs. the course, in my opinion, is way too hyped
Agreed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)