CSSA chemistry (8 Viewers)

_deloso

HSC
i think it's right. it doesnt have to be neutral.

i putted H+ are stronger oxidant.

if i remember it right, the cathode produces the hydrogen gas. so the hydrogen has must be a stronger oxidant than the solution's ion (i forgot what is it).

cathode produces hydrogen gas but hydrogen gas is made through 2H+ and 2e- and those electrons came from Zinc thus zinc acting as a reductant to initialise the reaction

muzeikchun852

HSC
cathode produces hydrogen gas but hydrogen gas is made through 2H+ and 2e- and those electrons came from Zinc thus zinc acting as a reductant to initialise the reaction
but in order to choose the answer that zinc is a stronger reductant, shouldnt there be some changes in the anode (i.e. loss of zinc metal)? but i dont think there was any change in the zinc anode (please someone confirm that. im not really sure). so we can only conclude that hydrogen ion are the stronger oxidant (?)

ps. i dont think there is different between where it initalise the reaction, because it is a galvanic cell (?) or electrochemical (?)

edit : it should galvanic as zinc has a lower standard potential.

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
but in order to choose the answer that zinc is a stronger reductant, shouldnt there be some changes in the anode (i.e. loss of zinc metal)? but i dont think there was any change in the zinc anode (please someone confirm that. im not really sure). so we can only conclude that hydrogen ion are the stronger oxidant (?)

ps. i dont think there is different between where it initalise the reaction, because it is a galvanic cell (?) or electrochemical (?)

edit : it should galvanic as zinc has a lower standard potential.
Hmm, do you remember the exact question?

E

Effekt

Any tips/focus topics? I'm doing this exam tomorrow and from what i've read i should focus on equilibrium, acids & bases, Haber process and galvanic cells?

E

Effekt

you sitting the CSSA paper?
I'm not 100% sure but the teacher said the paper was purchased and told us we should know our experiments/equilibrium. He tends to remove questions he considers stupid and replaces them but i can only assume it's the CSSA paper.

Edit: I don't think it's the CSSA paper since i don't go to a catholic school, religion isn't even considered. However i guess there is a possibility of the catholic paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dylanamali

HSC
I'm not 100% sure but the teacher said the paper was purchased and told us we should know our experiments/equilibrium. He tends to remove questions he considers stupid and replaces them but i can only assume it's the CSSA paper.

Edit: I don't think it's the CSSA paper since i don't go to a catholic school, religion isn't even considered. However i guess there is a possibility of the catholic paper.
most likely independent paper.. schools don't sit CSSA papers after the security date.. because student's can cheat.

E

Effekt

most likely independent paper.. schools don't sit CSSA papers after the security date.. because student's can cheat.
Yeah you're right but i guess tomorrow i will know, i am leaning more towards independent now.

E

Effekt

I've always been told CSSA ones were harder. But then again i am prepared to get hammered knowing my teacher, he is evil on purpose.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, there is that little thing called the HSC - but it's pretty late to be up study (but I think that's just me being adjusted to early morning and early nights).

K

khorne

doing the indie chem tomorrow br8s, I know all da shit, just have to memorise some random things like a scientist and dry cell vs something else. Also, fat dan, you'd be pleased to know your notes seem to be popular in my school.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
doing the indie chem tomorrow br8s, I know all da shit, just have to memorise some random things like a scientist and dry cell vs something else. Also, fat dan, you'd be pleased to know your notes seem to be popular in my school.
You mean today?
Go to fuckin' sleep!!!
Dan made chem notes? Are they the ones with orange dotpoints? Worst colour scheme ever. No offence Dan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)