Teachers on Strike (7 Viewers)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Another strike by teachers. Always striking.

I hope you all express your disapproval to them (especially HSC students).

They have ignored the very independent umpire that they are claiming to defend which ordered them to get back to work.

taeyang

HSC
What I find funny is that: we had the London Riots and the Libya thing, and they protest until the problem gets solved.

Not Australia, we just do it for one day, she'll be right.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
What I don't get is that they are already well remunerated for their services and they still bitch and moan like they work in a fucking coal mine or something.

Deadset I hate teachers.

themanman

HSC
N/A
What I don't get is that they are already well remunerated for their services and they still bitch and moan like they work in a fucking coal mine or something.

Deadset I hate teachers.
i have to agree...

if we didnt need teachers to mark our work i honestly would be studying at home and never turning up to class

teachers make so many ignorant mistakes and are as stubborn as hell when u try to REASONABLY rectify the issue

they get paid for making life difficult

hate!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Also they whinge about their workload, but technically if you even it out theyre still only working the same amount of hours as everybody else who works an 8 hour day with only 4 weeks annual leave. And this is really only of those rare hardcore teachers that actually do shit out of school.

Like say they get to school at 8am and school finishes at 3-3:30 but they stay back until idk, 4:30-5:00pm, then theyre still only working an average day and I think the 12 fricken weeks of holidays more than makes up for this.

Teachers are people who never grew up enough to leave school, and is why they will continue to whinge about *everything* forever.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Illegal strikes by public servants

at least they have better signs than the carbon rally ppl

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sure that if you were a teacher, your response would be very different. Besides, this strike involves not only teachers but also police, nurses, firefighters, transport workers, and so on.

This has been a direct attack on them from the government to slash their pay rise to 2.5%. So yeah you say "It's a pay rise, what more do those ungrateful bastards want?". But inflation is also rising at 3.6% which basically means they got a pretty massive pay cut which will increase every year. They have families and homes to pay off just like all people.

More importantly, this new government has attempted to change the laws at their own whim, to steal away from all public workers the right to appeal to the Industrial Relations Commission against any grossly unfair working conditions, which now they must take or else lose the job. In a democratic society we all have this right to appeal and these public servants who teach your children, save your home and entire communities in giant summer bushfires, and respond to your every call for help when your life is in danger have just had theirs taken away.

And yeah the IRC told them to go back to work big whoop. If an oppressive aggressor was smashing you up, and some friend of yours chanted in soothing tones "don't fight back, just take it" would you be listening to them and passively stand there? It's not like you can just walk away from this fight because that means quitting your job and having no way of supporting your family. And after so many years working as a teacher, with many in their fifties, do you think they can just go out there and find any job they fancy?

Honestly it's not easy dealing with 30 odd kids every period of every day, especially if you go to a school where kids try to pummel each other over minor disagreements or simply have no respect for anyone. The least you can do is not kick them when they're down and criticise their attempt to preserve their current working conditions (or as you say "bitch and moan"). I wish you guys and the narrow minded, foolish radio hosts who bitterly spit out hostility towards them would stop.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
I'm sure that if you were a teacher, your response would be very different. Besides, this strike involves not only teachers but also police, nurses, firefighters, transport workers, and so on.

This has been a direct attack on them from the government to slash their pay rise to 2.5%. So yeah you say "It's a pay rise, what more do those ungrateful bastards want?". But inflation is also rising at 3.6% which basically means they got a pretty massive pay cut which will increase every year. They have families and homes to pay off just like all people.
This.
The government is treating teachers unfairly, it still wants a good quality education system but doesn't want to pay for it. And this is affecting many public sector employees, not just teachers. I know that there are masses of teachers whom of which don't provide a good quality education to students, but there are those currently (and in the future) who are reaping this punishments, when they don't deserve it.

It is extremely inconvenient for us HSCers, but it's one day - we'll survive I'm sure.

Last edited:
HSC
i work in the public sector

no one is being treated unfairly, teachers union are a bunch of unreasonable thugs

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
All public sector workers will still get a 2.5% rise. The policy applies to all PS workers, including MPs themselves.

Public sector workers are lucky to get a pay rise at all. The private sector has been terrible in recent years due to economic pressures. Many private workers aren't getting any rise. Why should the public sector be immune to economic realities. They can't live in a bubble isolated from reality. There are significant pressures on the government budget that need to be dealt with.

Most PS workers already receive quite generous pay and entitlements. Certainly well above average. Teachers also get significant holidays.

Really they can't complain.

themanman

HSC
N/A
Also they whinge about their workload, but technically if you even it out theyre still only working the same amount of hours as everybody else who works an 8 hour day with only 4 weeks annual leave. And this is really only of those rare hardcore teachers that actually do shit out of school.

Like say they get to school at 8am and school finishes at 3-3:30 but they stay back until idk, 4:30-5:00pm, then theyre still only working an average day and I think the 12 fricken weeks of holidays more than makes up for this.

Teachers are people who never grew up enough to leave school, and is why they will continue to whinge about *everything* forever.
they have lost their childhood to school

they have lost their adulthood to school

teachers are odd creatures.. they are all mentally retarded in some way or another

and most are sexually oppressed

there shud be a subject studying the psychosis of a teacher

inshort: they are fucked people

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Re: Illegal strikes by public servants

how dare they oppose Barry O'Farrell glorious leader of Liberty

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I work in the public sector, thus I too am only entitled to a 2.5% pay rise per year. Boo hoo, you don't see me crying a river about it.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

More importantly, this new government has attempted to change the laws at their own whim, to steal away from all public workers the right to appeal to the Industrial Relations Commission against any grossly unfair working conditions, which now they must take or else lose the job. In a democratic society we all have this right to appeal and these public servants who teach your children, save your home and entire communities in giant summer bushfires, and respond to your every call for help when your life is in danger have just had theirs taken away.

And yeah the IRC told them to go back to work big whoop. If an oppressive aggressor was smashing you up, and some friend of yours chanted in soothing tones "don't fight back, just take it" would you be listening to them and passively stand there? It's not like you can just walk away from this fight because that means quitting your job and having no way of supporting your family. And after so many years working as a teacher, with many in their fifties, do you think they can just go out there and find any job they fancy?

Honestly it's not easy dealing with 30 odd kids every period of every day, especially if you go to a school where kids try to pummel each other over minor disagreements or simply have no respect for anyone. The least you can do is not kick them when they're down and criticise their attempt to preserve their current working conditions (or as you say "bitch and moan"). I wish you guys and the narrow minded, foolish radio hosts who bitterly spit out hostility towards them would stop.
Whiniest thread I have seen in a while, confirmed teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)