I need a job. (1 Viewer)

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Your academics will not prove as of any advantage to an industry that is completely different (retail/hospo industries) - unless you actually did those HSC subjects or are currently studying something of that level at uni...then don't expect to hear any replies coming soon.

Example: I once had a Mcdonald's interview...brought in all my awards / principle awards ...1st place awards in various subjects and still...They replied with an email saying while my application was good, they have found someone else that fits their criteria better.

Also...I have been to various technology stores applying...and since I'm 1st in three HSC computing subjects..they all go "you know retail is a very different experience" and I'm like bitch I can offer supreme advice to your customers" (lol didn't really say bitch, but I said something along that idea). Aldi want 20 yr olds apparently...Coles I farking applied for them like 2000000 times and still don't hear a reply. Woolworths site ..gosh don't even go there. their site is so shit looks predated before the 21st century. I get offers for jobs in the ACT and farking Bathurst wtf. This world has seriously lost the plot in designing these online job seekers sites. The most friendly job application site I've seen is hungry jacks or Mcdonald's for first time job seekers. I legit handed out over 25 resumes about 2 weeks ago to various stores in my area...I heard back from 2...First one I got a shit underpaid job..and the other one I went for interview and still haven't heard a reply.

I walked into Dicksmith and asked for any jobs...the guy says go online...so I go home..go online and wtf NO JOBS what so ever in NSW and then when there is a job it's something really really far west (4 hour drive anyone?) or some-shit doing night fill like wtf.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We go to school for 13 years and can't even get minimum wage paying jobs wtf is this stupid country doing. Note, GAME and Event cinemas had the same shit...and EB games told me they started hiring in September omfg. So it's really the last straw atm to get a decent paying job. (~$15 an hr).

I have work experience, but as I said it is not relevant to the industries I'm applying for...but these industries are the only industries first time job seekers can get into. I'm starting to think me displaying these previous work experiences is hindering my chance to make an entrance into the retail/hospo industries.
Ha. Exactly what I went through pre-uni.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why is getting a job so hard? =(
Cause there are better qualified people than you. Same as in the future when you'll be better qualified than them for bigger jobs.

Circle of life.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmm, looks like Westpoint Blacktown has an opening for part-time and casual crew members at Hungry Jacks...

Shame their uniform doesn't come in mens. =P

Nah just kidding. I just can't envision myself working there... at the front counter. But I should probably try anyway, right...?

Cause there are better qualified people than you. Same as in the future when you'll be better qualified than them for bigger jobs.

Circle of life.
Hmm. Like pretty, outgoing girls who are more qualified for the front counter than me.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hmm, looks like Westpoint Blacktown has an opening for part-time and casual crew members at Hungry Jacks...

Shame their uniform doesn't come in mens. =P

Nah just kidding. I just can't envision myself working there... at the front counter. But I should probably try anyway, right...?

Hmm. Like pretty, outgoing girls who are more qualified for the front counter than me.
Word of advice, even though you don't have any work experience or any jobs prior to now, I'd still avoid fast food.

Look for retail!

Also, what DO you look like (srs)? Post pic.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hmm, might need help making the resume too. I remember taking a class in school about it... but it was in Year 10. So what makes a resume... 'stellar'?

So I have to make a super first impression, basically. And I have to talk to the manager - which I assume can occur if I just ask to talk to them...
My advice is less so in a big chain, like woolies or kfc etc. they have such a high staff turnover they probably don't give a fuck about who you are.

A good resume for retail jobs imo:

- Is no more than 2 pages
- Does not have a picture of you (i don't get why people do this)
- Has a proper e-mail address (not sexybabeDDslut@hotmail.com)
- Has clear, considered formatting
- Explains skills that would be relevant to the job
- Does not spend half a page on school awards that go back to year 7
- Has perfect spelling and grammar
- Has references
- Does not mention that your hobbies include x-box
- Reads like it was actually written by you and not your parents/a robot
- Includes a short cover letter (this is just something that makes you stand out imo)

And if the manager isn't there when you go in? Ask when they will be in so you can come back, or ask if you can talk to the second in charge or whoever is supervising that day.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Oh btw, for anyone that's interested, this time of the year is when petrol stations start looking for people to fill in on night shifts.

If you think you're capable (really good pay as well for the night shifts, but sometimes unsafe) of working there then go apply at their stations. I got offered a position earlier this year at BP, pay was around $18. Rejected it cause I got the admin job at $23 an hour.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
- Has references
- Includes a short cover letter (this is just something that makes you stand out imo)
I'd also add your qualifications, such as School certificate, Higher School certificate, [current] Bachelor's degree in Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Commerce @ UNSW. Don't add anymore than that.

Also, for hobbies, make them interesting. A few friends of mine who are managers at certain stores SPECIFICALLY look for hobbies so they can get a brief overlook of the applicant. Don't make the hobbies stupid. Add interesting things like, "Playing classical instruments, Painting, tutoring, etc etc etc". Don't add shit like "playing games, talking on online forums, masturbating, etc".

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
I get to the office at 9ish and I'm not in the mood to work. In walks this hard street nigger and he asks for a job.

Nigger: Yo, ya hire? Me: Say what? Nigger: Ma, I nee a jo Me: You speekee engrish? Nigger: I say I nee a jo,

I knew what he was saying. He was one of those niggers that like to leave the last letter off of every word. Five bucks = Fie buck, Old school = O schoo, etc. The conversation went on for a few minutes until I was finished fucking with him.

Me: I pa fo dolla Nigger: Fo dolla! Shee Me: Aight, aight, fodolla twenny fi cen Nigger: Minima way sicsevenfi muthafucka Me: Fi dolla no mo, no mo fi dolla Nigger: (speaking clearly for the first time) FUCK YOU!

I nearly pissed myself. Yet I am not racist, I'm a sterotypist. Yes, there's a difference. Go ahead and /b/ yourself.
tl;dr, looked at the 2nd line and decided cbf.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Word of advice, even though you don't have any work experience or any jobs prior to now, I'd still avoid fast food.

Look for retail!

Also, what DO you look like (srs)? Post pic.
Retail? But like... where? I'm not a young, blonde attractive female so... I don't really fit the bill for 'retail'.

Also, I'll just re-post the picture Lolsmith took of me:

My advice is less so in a big chain, like woolies or kfc etc. they have such a high staff turnover they probably don't give a fuck about who you are.

- Has references

And if the manager isn't there when you go in? Ask when they will be in so you can come back, or ask if you can talk to the second in charge or whoever is supervising that day.
So if it's like a small-time shop it applies more... okay. Thanks -may-cat-! I'll see what I can do right now... might spend tomorrow figuring out what to write.

Oh btw, for anyone that's interested, this time of the year is when petrol stations start looking for people to fill in on night shifts.

If you think you're capable (really good pay as well for the night shifts, but sometimes unsafe) of working there then go apply at their stations. I got offered a position earlier this year at BP, pay was around $18. Rejected it cause I got the admin job at $23 an hour.
Night... shifts? I don't think my parents would allow that.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Of course, your edication is given. BUT unless it is relevant to the job for some reason, don't put your HSC subjects up, no one cares and it just takes up space you could be using to describe your skills.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd also add your qualifications, such as School certificate, Higher School certificate, [current] Bachelor's degree in Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Commerce @ UNSW. Don't add anymore than that.

Also, for hobbies, make them interesting. A few friends of mine who are managers at certain stores SPECIFICALLY look for hobbies so they can get a brief overlook of the applicant. Don't make the hobbies stupid. Add interesting things like, "Playing classical instruments, Painting, tutoring, etc etc etc". Don't add shit like "playing games, talking on online forums, masturbating, etc".
So I don't look like a pretentious wanker... okay.

But my hobbies include long walks on the beach, etc. =P

But seriously, stuff like... piano playing, reading, writing stories, etc.?

I figure the writing stories while doing maths will make people go "lolwtf"

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Of course, your edication is given. BUT unless it is relevant to the job for some reason, don't put your HSC subjects up, no one cares and it just takes up space you culd be using to describe your skills.
So just put "Higher School Certificate"? Don't put the year?

twistedrebel

HSC
ITT: people who will never get employed.

ok get a job anywhere, maccas pays $1 extra per hour then big w for casuals (look at the EBA's if you dont believe me)
apply a shitload and look any many different channels, local newspapers are a good start aswell
-experience is the key for getting a job, jobs arent hard, i can easily get 3 jobs, why cant you? (and i only started working after the HSC,)
-tweak your resume to the job you apply for very important, look to answer few questions in advert
-tbh you all should have applied around stemempher or august for xmas casuals
-without TFN you can still get a job you just get taxed at 45%, and once you have TFN they will give the money back. NEVER write TFN on resume. but do not worry if you dont have TFN.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
So just put "Higher School Certificate"? Don't put the year?
No. Put date on each of your educational achievements (SC + HSC + Uni degree)

e.g.

Higher School Certificate (Penrith High School) - 2010.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
No, put the year you did your HSC of course, just don't be like i took maffs and engrish and blah blah blah.

Pick hobbies/interests that have skills behind them relevant to the job. For example, i really like cooking, but if i was going for an academic job i probably would want to mention my interest in languages instead. Similarly, I really like reading, but if i was going for a job in fast food i would probably want to mention my interest in things like team sports.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Why is getting a job so hard? =(

FFFF... I might just say "Stuff it" and just go into maths tutoring or something... for like general and 2u maths. But that doesn't bode well for post-university when my only job experience is 'maths tutoring at home'.

I think I might just ask my friends who work at like KFC or something else if they have any job openings. They can put in a good word for my personality or at least who I am, which -may-cat- says is important...
Yeah, I'm thinking just fuck the retail industry since they don't want me lol man they started taking people in in September!!! I was farking studying for my trials at that time grrrr. I'm not going to stop, just going to seriously spam more resumes all over the place. My resume is very neat and professional - ahaha thanks word templates :)

Thing is they will hire people that have actually DONE RETAIL work experience as either their HSC course or through another job. They are not going to hire someone like me that's had no experience in that area, although I do have a substantial amount of knowledge in the technological side..but still RETAIL piece of shit experience prevails that too, so therefore you get dumb cunts who no nothing about the details of a technological product or just try and sell you the oldest piece of hardware / software just to get rid of it.

-IKEA - I filled out a 84 question quiz (which was repeated questions to the max and made hardly no sense) and was notified that i was unsuccessful like 2 days later.
-JB hi fi had so many staff members it's not funny..I don';t even know why they need so many staff members on duty..they had more than enough.
Fuck the JB site for jobs is bad....there's no way to make an account and simple just click apply for that job. You have to fill in your details every single time.
-Coles - You need to be like some fucking student leader/ captain to make it in..My local coles has about 4 people I know from school and primary school so I reckon it would be pretty awkward working there..even though I applied there heaps of times.
-An ad in the paper for a casual junior shop assistant- i rang them up and they said that all positions were already filled - this was just after 4 days the paper came out..like wtf It takes some companies 4 days to send me an email bitch.

-Once I got a under paying job *at a local market*...I was like yeah I finally got a job...but then I was like hmmm, shit this is sure hella a lot of work for $x per hour. Some say something is better than nothing. No I would drop it go apply at maccas again, or another fast food chain instead, at least they pay the minimum wage. Still I dunno how these employers can get away with it...my employer said since i was unskilled and starting out I'm gona pay you $x, which is a load of shit...what skill do you need in packing fucking tomatoes into a bag, a fucking B degree in fruit marketing? I was like, I loved life better when I was searching for a job. lol
-I reckon some good jobs for 18 yr old + would be at bars / waiter etc with RSA and the gambling cert. But even then you might still need exp and motivation which I don't have for that industry. - I would love training, but most places require experience because they cbf training newbies.
-I have even worked at Coca Cola as part of my work experience, - still that doesn't satisfy employers - I'm available any time now, since I finished my HSC.
-EB games said they already hired in Sept, but they said one guy might be thinking of dropping it cause he's failing and they might put me in :D - I haven't heard back since :(

As time goes on younger people say 14 yr olds - 17 yr olds will get the job over me because they are cheaper to employ.

I like the popular fast food stores because their sites a VERY user friendly to FIRST time job seekers. And this is why heaps of people end of starting their first job here. - The hungry jacks application form is literally HALF a page. I applied there too, but they never called me for a SECOND interview.

And yes you definitely need to see the manager of each store. (while I tried doing this for all stores, sometimes the store manager wasn't there and they said they would check up on my resume once they read it). This one ice cream shop had one female and one male employee, both were clueless about what a resume was..I was like o_O are you serious, HOW THE UFCK WERE YOU PEOPLE HIRED. Any ways I managed to tell them to pass it onto the manager. Still no word and not counting on it.

atm I feel like dropping all this, and just developing my programming skills - even though I'm a pure beginner at that too, at least I have experience in it and may one day lead to something potentially big.

There is a large competition we are versing to secure jobs..think about it ...We are up against all the 14 yr olds - 18 yr olds and all the HSC students who finished + some uni students. Even If I was to go in programming that's hard to get a job as well..since most jobs are outsourced to India for cheap labour. That's why I have to start something big / innovative on my own, from the ground up. - There will also be many people with this mind frame set as well, so you're competing with them as well.

It has now come to the point were I'm seeking work outside my normal local area and going to sub local areas.

Man this period in our lives sucks, but persistence is important and make sure you make a good first impression to the manager. I guess If you missed out this year, just try again in dec / jan. and keep trying throughout the year, sometimes bound to pop up to match ur skill level. I have been a job seeker for ~4 years now and still have yet to secure a first job. I'm pretty fed up and will work at fast food stores, because this is what's come to, and besides it's a way more social experience communicating with your peers to achieve certain tasks on schedule rather than standing by yourself at coles scanning endless amounts of groceries. And at least if you're working for a big well known fast food chain, they will surely pay you at least the minimum wage if you're an adult + causal loading. Not like dodgy little stores which pay cash and underpay employees. And to you employers out there if you want employees then pay them the respective wage for their age. NO EXCUSES. This is Australia we need wages to be kept up in accordance to inflation.

err long post...all this typing is making me hungry and giving my hands a work out. Worth the read..don't say tl dr..if you say that then you shouldn't be in this thread.

All the best to finding a job people! :) peace out

HSC
Uni Grad

- Has references
Forever unemployed : ((((

How can you talk about skills if you just want to stack shelves or do something super menial though?
My resume would be like 1/2 page if it didn't have my subjects and awards from year 11 and 12, even though I agree they serve little-no purpose it's all I have to include lol.
Ugghhhh references are the fucking worst :( if only I knew people : (((((((
Cover letter for all positions or only for specialised ones?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
No, put the year you did your HSC of course, just don't be like i took maffs and engrish and blah blah blah.

Pick hobbies/interests that have skills behind them relevant to the job. For example, i really like cooking, but if i was going for an academic job i probably would want to mention my interest in languages instead. Similarly, I really like reading, but if i was going for a job in fast food i would probably want to mention my interest in things like team sports.
I really just make one generic resume - really nice layout that presents my education (1st in so and so - this can demonstrate my efforts, work experiences, future prospects, and work availability. I say my hobbies / talents etc and I sign all of them.)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think -may-cat- is a bit harsh with regards to school awards.

If you're short on things to say, there's no harm in having school awards that date back to Year 10-ish. Even further if it was something noteworthy [The Prime Minister's Award for Whatever].

For a retail job for school leavers, or even end of first year uni, there's no harm in this. But make sure your resume is no longer than 2 pages. Obviously, as you're applying for vacationer positions and internships related to your uni course, then you start culling back on your high school stuff.

-may-cat- is right about everything else though. I'm also generally against putting address/homephone/sex/age etc on a resume as well, but that's just me. If you have a school reference, put it in - if your reference is half decent, you're about half way there to getting a retail job.

If you're really desperate for templates and whatnot, have a look on whirlpool. :)

And don't go crazy with the formatting. Black and white is fine. A little bit of colour is fine. Going overboard is not.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Mate just be hardcore unemployed. (eco joke right there)

Just apply in as many places as possible. As someone said in this thread when i skimmed through it, your first job is your hardest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)