Are all Korean guys chauvinist? (1 Viewer)

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
To OP:

I think you've pretty much explained the reason in your post. Gender roles in Korea are quite defined and that's cultivated itself in attitudes between men and women. Personally, I see that dying out as 2nd gens+ have their own kids. Remember that the Korean community in Australia only started to really bloom into what it is during the '90s.
Yup!

As I guy, I didn't notice it when I go to Korea nor have I really noticed it here in Sydney (I've grown up in quite a Korean area). Mind you, I don't really hang out with many Koreans in the first place so this could be why. Regardless, I know that quite a few Koreans dislike the traditional stance of our culture so they shy away from those attitudes. I suppose keep trying as there are always well-balanced people out there.
Cool cool. I've never lived in the Sydney Korean community but every time I visit, I always meet much more progressive(?) types than I've ever seen in Melbourne. And that's easily explained by the fact that Sydney's Korean community is much older (which could mean there are more older people who are conservative, but it also means there are more younger people of later generations who think much differently), and Melbourne is a pretty conservative place in broader historical terms.

Ta.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Oi guys, stop with the Korean and tell us what that stuff means.
Ok so the Usyd boys' t-shirts said "You can call me Oppa", where Oppa (오빠) is a term of address which strictly translates to "brother". It's used by girls when they address an older guyfriend or a brother, since the Korean Confucian culture strictly dictates deference to anyone older than you.

It's a simple enough concept, but in the past decade or so, the term has taken on a whole lot of extra connotations which are more or less sexual in nature.

You can see the popular K-pop group Super Junior milking the term here:

Super Junior Donghae & Eunhyuk_Oppa, Oppa_Music Video
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LloLMZlnLXQ[/video]

I want a t-shirt that says "Nobody gets called Oppa by me."

PS. As far as I am aware, the Super Junior song is pretty much ironic. That's why I can bear it. It's quite hilarious, actually.

But still.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
슈슈 난 skype에 있습니다

I'm corian bby

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hahahahahaha … are you serious? Wow, what a turn-off. Call me anal retentive, but it's not even funny. I mean, anyone else is of course free to find it funny, but I reserve the right to find it creepy. LoL yeah I've never joined an on-campus Korean society. But don't unis in Sydney have Korean societies for 1.5 and 2nd+ generation Koreans? Maybe at UNSW?
Hmm I'm not sure because since then, I just neglected all Korean societies (since also from what I hear, they're just all about 1.hierarchy and 2.drinking). I like drinking but I've heard that they are pretty much the ONLY sort of events they have. I might be wrong on this though. Btw I'm actually a fob Korean myself lol (still doesn't help that 오빠라불러줘 is kinda disgusting to have on a society shirt).

SO true.

I thnk it relates to the whole girls calling their boyfriends "오빠" thing. I'm pretty sure that even just ten years ago, people didn't do that. And if they did, it didn't hold the same connotations and nuances that it does now. WTF happened. Anyway yeah, I'd probably be a whole lot less uptight about calling guys "오빠" if the contemporary culture was different.

I want a t-shirt that says ⋆나에게는 오빠가 없다‼
LOL, make one! I can't wait to see how people saying "오빠라불러줘" will respond to that, but then it may also sound like you just don't have an older brother (which is not the intended meaning!).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I would never join a society which is essentially defined by race.

Whether or not they accept people of different races, I think it's an absurd way to define an organisation. Thinks like this can remain as informal networks.

LonelyWolf

HSC
Personally I would never join a society which is essentially defined by race.

Whether or not they accept people of different races, I think it's an absurd way to define an organisation. Thinks like this can remain as informal networks.
Disgusting

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a Korean girl, and it seems that almost all the Korean guys I meet are chauvinist to some extent. Especially if they're older than me, they always, ALWAYS do the whole "I'm your Oppa" charade. Which really annoys me because they think that having been born an hour or two before you means they have to be respected, and they never seem to think about how they can merit deep and lasting respect.

Whether they were born in Korea and how long they've lived outside of Korea doesn't really seem to have an effect on this male arrogance. The roots of this arrogance are clearly traceable to Korea's Confucian history, and it seems that it just keeps getting passed on down the generations. I've met more than a few guys who can't even speak Korean, but their mannerisms and their attitudes are so clearly influenced by Korean Confucian culture.

Do I just need to meet more Korean guys? By the way, don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to hate on Korean guys; most of them are lots of fun, and hardly any of them are trying to offend anyone. It's just that my personal experience with them and with the Korean culture both in the Republic of Korea and in the South Korean diaspora has led me to a few conclusions, and I wanted to hear some other opinions. I'm particularly interested in what other Korean girls (especially 1.5, 2nd generation girls) have to say, but of course anyone is welcome to pitch in. Including Korean guys.

And if you think that a Korean guy is not a good match for an Korean girl living in Australia (banana, not fob), then which other cultural backgrounds would you recommend?
This is why Korean-Australian girls are unattractive :(...

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a Korean girl, and it seems that almost all the Korean guys I meet are chauvinist to some extent. Especially if they're older than me, they always, ALWAYS do the whole "I'm your Oppa" charade. Which really annoys me because they think that having been born an hour or two before you means they have to be respected, and they never seem to think about how they can merit deep and lasting respect.

Whether they were born in Korea and how long they've lived outside of Korea doesn't really seem to have an effect on this male arrogance. The roots of this arrogance are clearly traceable to Korea's Confucian history, and it seems that it just keeps getting passed on down the generations. I've met more than a few guys who can't even speak Korean, but their mannerisms and their attitudes are so clearly influenced by Korean Confucian culture.

Do I just need to meet more Korean guys? By the way, don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to hate on Korean guys; most of them are lots of fun, and hardly any of them are trying to offend anyone. It's just that my personal experience with them and with the Korean culture both in the Republic of Korea and in the South Korean diaspora has led me to a few conclusions, and I wanted to hear some other opinions. I'm particularly interested in what other Korean girls (especially 1.5, 2nd generation girls) have to say, but of course anyone is welcome to pitch in. Including Korean guys.

And if you think that a Korean guy is not a good match for an Korean girl living in Australia (banana, not fob), then which other cultural backgrounds would you recommend?
@OP, okay being serious now.

Oppa is favoured by alot of Korean guys (especially if the female is younger), they think it's cute or attractive when females say it, only reason I can think of in my head. I find it pretty ridiculous but that's Korean culture for you.

Also Koreans are very proud of themselves, nationalism is heavily instilled in every one of them(Just look at the world cup and sporting events 'Red Devils' and etc, Dokdo and alot of scenarios). Korean ego-ism is also very heavy... this is not exaggerated it's pretty true.

Finding more Korean friends is a great way to start and to resolve your troubles ( I use to be in the same scenario as you). Also any cultural background is recommended, why should race/culture matter in relationships? But these days alot of Korean guys are into fob girls... pretty hilarious haha... that's where my joke came from above ^^^ Korean guys (Australian born or not) have an commonality of not being too attracted to bananas.

Also questions like this shouldn't be asked on BOS :)... not your best resource.

Pfortune35

HSC
If you dont like your friends get some new ones, who gives a fuck if theyre korean

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
There is a rare breed of white Australians that are good for boyfriend. They are very nice, respectful, funny and intelligent. Except you probably have to make a move on them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)