Are all Korean guys chauvinist? (1 Viewer)

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not particularly familiar with why you think Korean males are more likely to hold on to historical Korean cultural values, I've never encountered it, or maybe rarely. Not too sure lol haha.

Ignore Lonelywolf, he's an idiot, he has no idea on how brilliant the Korean culture is. And don't get me wrong, I love the Australian culture much much more.

To your last point. Well from a Korean guy's perspective and also alot of people around me who has experienced both the Banana and Fob culture significantly throughout out lives, mainly guys like the FOB culture because the girls are more well dressed or fashionable (fob fashion like k-pop style), have a more prettier/cuter face (you know that typical Korean-fob look) and there is alot other stuff. This knowledge is from personal experience.

I'm not sure how the banana culture/fob culture has benefits, shouldn't matter regardless of gender, or I don't really understand what point your making. But i find these days, Koreans all in general love the fob culture well from my social experience. Banana culture is pretty dead now or non existent.

Also as an Korean Australian, we should also have some idea of the Korean culture or experience(Meaning knowing the language, eating the food and etc) well that's my belief. However it should always come second. First priority is always the Australian culture which alot of Koreans tend to forget and go around in their own little community.
That's fair enough if you haven't encountered the notion of Korean males being cultural conservative. But I know I'm not alone in thinking it. There's a Korean bestseller-author, Nam In-sook 남인숙 who writes for Korean women in their 20s and 30s and she explains the cultural dynamics pretty well. Possibly you are not so aware of it because you are a Korean male yourself? And that would make plenty of sense.

I'm interested to know why you love the Australian culture still more than the Korean culture? (I hold a similar position, I think.) Hahaha so from your personal experience, fob girls are prettier? I have no riposte, LOL.

Confucian culture is male-centric. And Korean culture is still highly influenced by Confucian ethics. And not that gender equality in Australia or any other part of the West is perfect, but it's still a whole lot better than in Korea. And that is partly to do with the economy, but also partly to do with cultural attitudes.

Banana culture is dead/non-existent? WHERE? (Please do answer this even if you ignore the rest of this post.)

Well yeah. Ideally we would have an awareness of both our heritage and our home culture. And by home culture I mean Australian culture, because this is where Korean Australians live.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Aren't those websites filled with wannabe asians and non-Koreans? Some of the shit I've read on there is an embarrassment.
Yeah I get annoyed with the bad translations. I used to visit such sites in order to get a quick-and-easy idea of the Korean pop culture scene but it was infuriating so I stopped. I remember when Shoo from the former girl group S.E.S released a single titled "자기밖에jagi bakke" and the hallyu-niks immediately translated it as "Self Only". EPIC FAIL

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
ahaha ... like HOW?!
i don't know that many, but yeh, one who's a mate, just loves to troll people, and piss them off, like a lot more than anyone else i know.

others just don't like talking to white people, which i find hilarious. i met a korean guy once, who pretty much ignored the questions i asked him.

i think it's just cultural, because most don't get aussie humour, or gestures etc, hence why i find them weird.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
i don't know that many, but yeh, one who's a mate, just loves to troll people, and piss them off, like a lot more than anyone else i know.

others just don't like talking to white people, which i find hilarious. i met a korean guy once, who pretty much ignored the questions i asked him.

i think it's just cultural, because most don't get aussie humour, or gestures etc, hence why i find them weird.
ㅋㅋㅋㅋhahahaha :lol:

OMG I totally agree that Korean humour and Australian humour are totally different. As far as I'm concerned, Australian humour is often (not always) quite dry (probably due to the British influence) and there is a huge market for political satire. But Korean humour leans toward the slapstick variety, and things that are more visual. Which explains why a lot of English language internet memes get published in Korean online newspapers as big news. And there's hardly any room for political satire in contemporary Korea, even if there was in decades past. So frustrating for me.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Yeah I get annoyed with the bad translations. I used to visit such sites in order to get a quick-and-easy idea of the Korean pop culture scene but it was infuriating so I stopped. I remember when Shoo from the former girl group S.E.S released a single titled "자기밖에jagi bakke" and the hallyu-niks immediately translated it as "Self Only". EPIC FAIL

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
ㅋㅋㅋㅋhahahaha :lol:

OMG I totally agree that Korean humour and Australian humour are totally different. As far as I'm concerned, Australian humour is often (not always) quite dry (probably due to the British influence) and there is a huge market for political satire. But Korean humour leans toward the slapstick variety, and things that are more visual. Which explains why a lot of English language internet memes get published in Korean online newspapers as big news. And there's hardly any room for political satire in contemporary Korea, even if there was in decades past. So frustrating for me.
but korean humour is awesome, who doesn't like Running Man?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
That's fair enough if you haven't encountered the notion of Korean males being cultural conservative. But I know I'm not alone in thinking it. There's a Korean bestseller-author, Nam In-sook 남인숙 who writes for Korean women in their 20s and 30s and she explains the cultural dynamics pretty well. Possibly you are not so aware of it because you are a Korean male yourself? And that would make plenty of sense.

I'm interested to know why you love the Australian culture still more than the Korean culture? (I hold a similar position, I think.) Hahaha so from your personal experience, fob girls are prettier? I have no riposte, LOL.

Confucian culture is male-centric. And Korean culture is still highly influenced by Confucian ethics. And not that gender equality in Australia or any other part of the West is perfect, but it's still a whole lot better than in Korea. And that is partly to do with the economy, but also partly to do with cultural attitudes.

Banana culture is dead/non-existent? WHERE? (Please do answer this even if you ignore the rest of this post.)

Well yeah. Ideally we would have an awareness of both our heritage and our home culture. And by home culture I mean Australian culture, because this is where Korean Australians live.
Of course I like the Australian culture better, I spent my whole life here being a citizen :p. But these days mainly follow Korean fob fashion, trends and etc. Korean culture is more appealing and exciting. And yes. Fob girls are a lot prettier because they dress better, look better o_O and a lot of stuff.

Lol well to Australian Koreans, I don't see the Banana culture being alive anymore. Everything is Fob or pure Korean influenced, well this is from personal experience since I live in a very heavily Korean populated area in Sydney. Strathfield lol... the home of Koreans in Australia

Last edited:

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
so you don't like kpop? :(
Don't get me wrong! I'm listening to K-pop right now! But a most of the artists I listen to made their debuts ten or more years ago. The more recent stuff often sounds the same to me, especially the stuff coming out of SM. I know SM Entertainment basically built the contemporary South Korean pop music industry but it's not the same company it used to be. Under Lee Soo-man and when Yoo Young-jin was at the artistic vanguard, there was a lot of innovation and daring, but I can't help but think that nowadays it is much more about the marketing than it is about the music.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. And conservative.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Don't get me wrong! I'm listening to K-pop right now! But a most of the artists I listen to made their debuts ten or more years ago. The more recent stuff often sounds the same to me, especially the stuff coming out of SM. I know SM Entertainment basically built the contemporary South Korean pop music industry but it's not the same company it used to be. Under Lee Soo-man and when Yoo Young-jin was at the artistic vanguard, there was a lot of innovation and daring, but I can't help but think that nowadays it is much more about the marketing than it is about the music.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. And conservative.
but how can you not like dbsk and shinee oppars? :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)