• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Handwriting or typing notes? (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
It's something I and I'm sure others have wondered, is it better to type or handwrite your notes?.

I've been handwriting them for years ever since year 7, but now I'm beginning to reconsider it.

What are your opinions?

Aysce

HSC
It's all relative - meaning it varies from person to person. Some may find it more effective than others. Personally, I type and write my notes depending on the subject. For example, I write my notes for biology because it stays in my mind for longer, but for business studies I type my notes because it is faster and more convenient, and that I still remember most of the information I typed up - almost as well as when I'm writing them.

Advantages of typing : Faster, looks better, save paper.
Disadvantages of typing : May not sustain information in the mind as effectively as writing.

Try experimenting though.

answermydream

HSC
My teachers have told me to initially type all your notes, that way you go in and quickly alter and change them around to get them perfect, then as revision both write them out by hand and type them out, each time getting shorter and shorter and using less sentences...aim to get each major point as a short one line dot point. That way you're only using small words and phrases and (hopefully) remembering big portions of information. I find that this works for me.

Examine

same
HSC
I am a writer. I remember it more when I am writing, though I sometimes type for some brainstorming of a topic or just retyping notes.

memo15

HSC
i type my notes because i find my handwriting gets messy :p and i tend to bind my notes at the end so that i dont lose em

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
AS I have posted many times before: writing has the very important advantage of helping you remember (i.e. help you memorise) that , I suspect, typing does not. But when you write, you must do so "consciously" - not blindly and mindlessly writing though. Somehow the "connect" helps you remember. Maybe psychologists have an explanation for this (or perhaps disagrees with this idea).

Of course if you just want your notes purely for documentation purposes, typing out is easier and more aesthetically pleasing.

Examine

same
HSC
AS I have posted many times before: writing has the very important advantage of helping you remember (i.e. help you memorise) that , I suspect, typing does not. But when you write, you must do so "consciously" - not blindly and mindlessly writing though. Somehow the "connect" helps you remember. Maybe psychologists have an explanation for this (or perhaps disagrees with this idea).

Of course if you just want your notes purely for documentation purposes, typing out is easier and more aesthetically pleasing.
Yes I feel this too.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
My teachers have told me to initially type all your notes, that way you go in and quickly alter and change them around to get them perfect, then as revision both write them out by hand and type them out, each time getting shorter and shorter and using less sentences...aim to get each major point as a short one line dot point. That way you're only using small words and phrases and (hopefully) remembering big portions of information. I find that this works for me.
+1. I type my notes, perfect them, then write them out for revision. Typing is easier to make the notes cause its much quicker, much neater, and you can have accurate diagrams in there to help with understanding but like everyone has said, its personal preference.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I'm typing mine.

- Leaves me room to make changes
- Easy to send to teachers/friends to check it's all correct
- Can't lose them
- Multiple copies: I can make more cash when I sell them at the end of the year
- Looks more professional (especially in latex): again, more $$

loaves

HSC
Typing for me. Much quicker, neater/better formatting, can print multiple copies (so I had a fresh copy to highlight every assessment).

Different for everyone though.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I handwrite them but I tend to do units which involve diagrams and equations so it isn't too conducive to typing.

delian

HSC
N/A
Although typing has certain advantages(e.g. can easily update), I like handwriting as you can put in diagrams and pictures easily. Plus you absorb the info well.

Dylanamali

HSC
for me - i didnt even formulate my own notes.. grabed them off BOS or a friend then memorised them by continually revising them and vocalising them out loud.

Vocalisation was the most effective method of memorisation for me, however, for you it could be different.

Aysce

HSC
for me - i didnt even formulate my own notes.. grabed them off BOS or a friend then memorised them by continually revising them and vocalising them out loud.

Vocalisation was the most effective method of memorisation for me, however, for you it could be different.
Yes, I use this method when I read over my notes and for me it is quite effective. Better yet, understanding is the better way than trying to memorise.

Dylanamali

HSC
Yes, I use this method when I read over my notes and for me it is quite effective. Better yet, understanding is the better way than trying to memorise.
agreeed, i would vocalise as if I was teaching a class and then on occasions I would actually tutor classmates that asked for help.. it was the best and most effective way of studying for me.

Roy216

HSC
I did the same thing for sor last year memorized the first 2 and last page and got 70% LOL

yoyoyoshi

HSC
N/A
I've tried hand-written and my own writing turns me off studying. I end up ripping the page(s) out and attempting to write decently, it doesn't happen for me. So, I'm typing mine, I absolutely adore colour coding my notes according to relevance and being able re-edit/add on/off.
I save paper too : D

Aysce

HSC
I've tried hand-written and my own writing turns me off studying. I end up ripping the page(s) out and attempting to write decently, it doesn't happen for me. So, I'm typing mine, I absolutely adore colour coding my notes according to relevance and being able re-edit/add on/off.
I save paper too : D

That's kind of like me, except I cut out parts of lined paper, write my notes on it and stick it over the area I didn't like. Plus more paper = more maths.

;) Spiralflex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)