• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

STUDY HOURS - 99 (1 Viewer)

hscwav2012

HSC
How many hours a day have you guys been doing?

My teachers tell us 8hrs a day is a solid amount for a high ATAR.

Do you think you need to do more than 8hrs do get a high ATAR eg. 97,98,99.

They have said you will 'burn out' if you do more, maybe they are talking about these holidays and then do 10hrs a day before HSC?

This is for HOLIDAYS study NOT during the TERM

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
How many hours a day have you guys been doing?

My teachers tell us 8hrs a day is a solid amount for a high ATAR.

Do you think you need to do more than 8hrs do get a high ATAR eg. 97,98,99.

They have said you will 'burn out' if you do more, maybe they are talking about these holidays and then do 10hrs a day before HSC?
Nowhere close to that. Studying should be goal-orientated (i.e about achieving specific tasks such as a certain number of questions or finishing a topic) rather than hours based.

I got a 99+ ATAR from consistently studying about 2-3 hours on weekdays and 4 hours on weekends (again could be more or less depending on whether i acheived my goals in these hours)

bleakarcher

HSC
Nowhere close to that. Studying should be goal-orientated (i.e about achieving specific tasks such as a certain number of questions or finishing a topic) rather than hours based.

I got a 99+ ATAR from consistently studying about 2-3 hours on weekdays and 4 hours on weekends (again could be more or less depending on whether i acheived my goals in these hours)
This, this and this.

qwerty44

HSC
How can you even study for 8-10 hours on a school day?

When would you eat?
He/she said holidays.

The hours you do won't determine your ATAR. Everyone is different, that's why goals based on your own ATAR aim and academic potential are better. Time will take care of itself.

enoilgam

HSC

Agreed 100%, this is how study should be. Studying to a time doesnt really help much - its all about goals. Also, 8 hours a day consistently is ridiculous - most people who get super high ATAR's would probably only reach this amount during exam period.

SanjoyM

HSC
I study until I have completed the tasks on my checklist - so from 5-6:50am and then from 5:30pm to 12:30am or even 1-2am

SanjoyM

HSC
That's a big checklist
Sure is! Extension English takes a lot of time! You have to read theorists, philosophers, texts, articles, compose essays and creatives, edit them, refine them further, read more books... answer exam questions!! - you need to be genuinely passionate and interested in English to do well:)
Chemistry takes quite a bit of time as well
Biology - just making notes
Ancient History - OMG!! Takes a LOT of time!! My source sheets for each topic is 30 pages long !! - memorising them

See, enjoy Year 11. Once you are in 12, sleep becomes optional!!

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I study until I have completed the tasks on my checklist - so from 5-6:50am and then from 5:30pm to 12:30am or even 1-2am
Hmm... don't you think that ~8 hours is overkill? I would think that the content can be covered in less time.

deswa1

HSC
Hmm... don't you think that ~8 hours is overkill? I would think that the content can be covered in less time.
I agree with this. Especially in year 11, that much time is not needed. Try to work more efficiently, take regular breaks to maximise concentration etc.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I agree with this. Especially in year 11, that much time is not needed. Try to work more efficiently, take regular breaks to maximise concentration etc.
Yeah, I think with Year 11, my allocation, which I'm going to stick with throughout (it's goal, not time oriented), however:

Maths homework + a bit of the next exercise = 75-90 mins total
Chem + Eco + Legal + English schoolwork revision/ look through what we did in class today/ homework: 60-75 mins total

SanjoyM

HSC
Guys, I do take breaks..
Trust me, you will not be able to cover all that work...
On top of that, research tasks, assessments and practicals....
Just enjoy year 11 whilst you can..

deswa1

HSC
I'm in year 12 btw lol
The time is really getting to me. I'm sorry, I've been failing everywhere :(. I still recommend taking more breaks but if it works for you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)