Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

studyhappy

HSC
metamorphosis by franz kafka. it's sophisticated, it's short (only about 40 or so pages) and it's full of different sub sections of belonging ~~

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Which one of these related text are easier to understand and annotate to find techniques and themes?

CommunityFan

HSC
if you go to my link above, all the techniques, themes and other info's are already listed :)

so its the most convenient one. I'm really passionate about the show as it fits perfectly to belonging context from board of studies and its my favourite show of all time (Doctor Who came close second and it is spoofed within my favourite show of all time!!!)

Examine

same
HSC
What do you guys think about using, "The Perks of being a Wallflower" as my related text?

Spedly_Edwards

HSC
I'm actually using perks as my related text for "into the world". I used it in an essay in my trials and got decent marks, good book btw ;)
I would have used it in belonging but my prescribed text is also a novel :(

HSC
N/A
Shaun Tan Picture books are good for belonging related . I used it as a related for my AOS essay, and i got pree good marks relating it to the red tree by Shaun Tan
Hi there xDarkSilent,

The Red Tree is definitely a good choice for a belonging related, not only due to the sheer intimacy of the text's conceptual links to belonging, but also the simplicity of the analysis that has do be done in synthesising an appropriate, evidence-backed response. tl;dr: it links well to belonging, and is easy to analyise.

However, although many of our English students have used the Red Tree with succes in internal assessments from the state's top selective schools, we've noticed that it's getting a little overused. The general rule is; if you hear about a related text being talked about at large repeatedly, you should avoid doing it.

Just to qualify: theoretically, it doesn't matter which related text you choose, the rubric promises you that you'll only be judged on the quality of your analysis and not choice of text. However, in order to give yourself the best chance of success, we recommend choosing something that's both sophisticated (i.e. please don't analyise the song 'YOLO' by Drake) and not widely used (not 'Happy Feet', please!) - as the marker will not have encountered it before, increasing your chances of capturing their attention ('Oh look, a danish foreign film, lets give it a read - It sounds sophisticated and interesting!') and avoiding comparison between your work and many other people's ('Gah, this guy's Happy feet analysis wasn't as good as the other 54 I've marked today!'). Yes, it could work in your favour if ALL the other analyses SUCKED, but probability wise, the expected value isn't favourable. Perhaps most importantly, it doesn't come off well that a Year 12 student is analysing 'YOLO' or 'Happy Feet' =P.

These are subtle issues, yes, but you need to consider everything - if you can take an action to tip the odds 51-49 in your favour, it's worth the work. At the end of the day, however, it's all about how convincing and pleasing your analysis is to read. It has to be succinct, your thesis clear, backed by plenty of integrated and flowing evidence, all culminating in your ultimate argument about belonging. The marker should sigh with satisfaction as he/she finishes reading your concluding sentence. That's what you all should be aiming for!

Kind Regards,
Delta Education

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
Hi there xDarkSilent,

The Red Tree is definitely a good choice for a belonging related, not only due to the sheer intimacy of the text's conceptual links to belonging, but also the simplicity of the analysis that has do be done in synthesising an appropriate, evidence-backed response. tl;dr: it links well to belonging, and is easy to analyise.

However, although many of our English students have used the Red Tree with succes in internal assessments from the state's top selective schools, we've noticed that it's getting a little overused. The general rule is; if you hear about a related text being talked about at large repeatedly, you should avoid doing it.

Just to qualify: theoretically, it doesn't matter which related text you choose, the rubric promises you that you'll only be judged on the quality of your analysis and not choice of text. However, in order to give yourself the best chance of success, we recommend choosing something that's both sophisticated (i.e. please don't analyise the song 'YOLO' by Drake) and not widely used (not 'Happy Feet', please!) - as the marker will not have encountered it before, increasing your chances of capturing their attention ('Oh look, a danish foreign film, lets give it a read - It sounds sophisticated and interesting!') and avoiding comparison between your work and many other people's ('Gah, this guy's Happy feet analysis wasn't as good as the other 54 I've marked today!'). Yes, it could work in your favour if ALL the other analyses SUCKED, but probability wise, the expected value isn't favourable. Perhaps most importantly, it doesn't come off well that a Year 12 student is analysing 'YOLO' or 'Happy Feet' =P.

These are subtle issues, yes, but you need to consider everything - if you can take an action to tip the odds 51-49 in your favour, it's worth the work. At the end of the day, however, it's all about how convincing and pleasing your analysis is to read. It has to be succinct, your thesis clear, backed by plenty of integrated and flowing evidence, all culminating in your ultimate argument about belonging. The marker should sigh with satisfaction as he/she finishes reading your concluding sentence. That's what you all should be aiming for!

Kind Regards,
Delta Education
Any views on Perks Of Being a Wallflower?

HSC
N/A
Any views on Perks Of Being a Wallflower?
Hi Examine,

Yes, we recommend 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' as a belonging related text. It allows you to present the marker with a more multifaceted and sophisticated take on belonging, as you could perhaps use the protagonist's situation to argue that belonging is a dichotomous concept that can lead to angst and existential conflict (research required here!) when it's not attained. Keep in mind that your related text has to synergise with your core, so have a think about what you're going to argue in each of your texts such that your streams of arguments culminate in a holistic and satisfying read about belonging. Also, whilst we like 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower', it does seem a bit cliched with its plot in relation to belonging, so make sure your analysis is super!

However, please keep in mind that whilst your choice in text may tip the odds slightly in your favour, at the end of the day it's your thesis and analysis that'll get you the marks. You can technically use Pokemon Sapphire as a related and still top the state. But why bother?

Kind Regards,
Delta Education

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
However, please keep in mind that whilst your choice in text may tip the odds slightly in your favour, at the end of the day it's your thesis and analysis that'll get you the marks. You can technically use Pokemon Sapphire as a related and still top the state. But why bother?
Exactly, everyone knows that Pokemon Yellow is the better one to use.

medicore

HSC
Are music videos allowed? I'd use one if the question asks for two. haha.

Maddi295

HSC
Is it absolutely essential to have 2 related texts prepared? I have one that works really well for every aspect of belonging and am freaking out in case they ask for two on Monday. :/

THE_WIV

HSC
All of my teachers are saying it's 2 related texts for everything that requires related material. Hopefully not for Mod A Lawson though because that's 2 short stories prescribed and writing about 4 texts in 40 mins would be a bitch.

Anyway, these are the texts that I'm using with The Simple Gift and have many approaches and aspects of belonging. They basically cover all of these aspects: belonging (a general question), not belonging, positive and negative experiences, group/others/family, place (was last years so it probably wont be this years), self, choice, complications/struggles/challenges, individual vs group, and probably some more I can't quite think of at the moment.

Film(documentary) - Joe Berlinger - Metallica: Some Kind of Monster --> If you are not a fan of Metallica and/or don't know much about them, you could still use this as it brings all of the back story and context you need to know. If you buy the DVD it also has about 20000 hours of deleted scenes that didn't make the final cut of which some of it is quite useful for belonging. This also relates to these aspects: uncertainty, over-reliance on group, anger, fake identity
Song - Avenged Sevenfold - Save Me --> Better off knowing context but just reading lyrics you can find isolation and uncertainty from it. You could use almost the entire album from which this is from (Nightmare) as it is a dedication to their drummer who passed away.

Other texts I know of which could be useful:
Songs:
Metallica - Mama Said, Until It Sleeps, The Unnamed Feeling (from the doco), Fade to Black, The Unforgiven 1 2 & 3, Hero of the Day, Nothing Else Matters, Turn the Page (Bob Seger cover)
Machinae Supremacy - The Greatest Show on Earth, Persona, Remnant (March of the Undead IV)
Machine Head - Darkness Within
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare (album), Dear God, Gunslinger, I Won't See You Tonight Part 1
Alter Bridge - Coeur d'Alene, Ghosts of Days Gone By, In Loving Memory, Open Your Eyes, Watch Over You, Wonderful Life
Killswitch Engage - The Element of One
Novels:
Dalton Trumbo - Johnny Got His Gun (Very Good for Dist. Visual but is quite good for AOS and Into The World)
TV Shows:
Breaking Bad (Very Good for Into The World but is also quite good for AOS and Dist. Visual)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah thanks, I'm doing standard, if that makes any difference?
The idea of a related text is based around the idea that students will go out and build up their own independent piece of analysis from the ground up. While it is idealistic to think that this happens in most cases (e.g. finding a solid piece of analysis in our Resources), using a text which has been thoroughly analysed in schools as a prescribed text is a no go zone. It is rightly presumed that students do this as the easy way out and markers will pick up on this.

oliverfront

HSC
The idea of a related text is based around the idea that students will go out and build up their own independent piece of analysis from the ground up. While it is idealistic to think that this happens in most cases (e.g. finding a solid piece of analysis in our Resources), using a text which has been thoroughly analysed in schools as a prescribed text is a no go zone. It is rightly presumed that students do this as the easy way out and markers will pick up on this.
Brilliant explanation, thanks. Yeah I'll keep looking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)