Was this person selfish or not (2 Viewers)

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
A mate and i were discussing about whether this person was an asshole or not
He is an ex year 12 from last year who came 1st in chem, a very smart guy who could easily get 99.xx, in the externals he bombed out and got below what he was expected, i don't talk to this guy and nor does my friend but it is very likely that he could of done better but he just wasn't trying 100%, because the hsc system relies on ranks and scaling, him bombing out on the externals affected those under him so alot of peoples marks shifted down, not much but maybe 1 mark, there has been alot of shittalk about him from his grade saying it was selfish of him to do this.
tldr; is he an asshole or not
personally i think hes not cause its his hsc he can do w/e the fuck he wants.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends how much he bombed and how well those close to him performed, if they did decently well. Not much of an influence.

Also, your perception of him may not be the reality. Ofc, other externalities could have come into play that may have affected him.

I guess an issue like this isn't really worth getting hung over by.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Yeah I agree, not really selfish of him. From your description, the dude seems like he wasn't utilising his full potential. But he wasn't doing this to pull down other people's marks. Like if other people think he's an asshole, they should have tried better, rather than relying on him, right?

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Yeah I agree, not really selfish of him. From your description, the dude seems like he wasn't utilising his full potential. But he wasn't doing this to pull down other people's marks. Like if other people think he's an asshole, they should have tried better, rather than relying on him, right?
yeah i said the exact same thing, your hsc your responsibility

its not a big issue but just talking about it for arguments sake, my mate and i always talk about this kind of crap.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
yeah i said the exact same thing, your hsc your responsibility

its not a big issue but just talking about it for arguments sake, my mate and i always talk about this kind of crap.
Ahahhah fair enough.

D94

HSC
N/A
If he didn't get the lowest mark then his poor performance had very minimal to no influence on your marks.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
imo, it wasn't selfish. if the other students tried harder then they would be 1st

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
A mate and i were discussing about whether this person was an asshole or not
He is an ex year 12 from last year who came 1st in chem, a very smart guy who could easily get 99.xx, in the externals he bombed out and got below what he was expected, i don't talk to this guy and nor does my friend but it is very likely that he could of done better but he just wasn't trying 100%, because the hsc system relies on ranks and scaling, him bombing out on the externals affected those under him so alot of peoples marks shifted down, not much but maybe 1 mark, there has been alot of shittalk about him from his grade saying it was selfish of him to do this.
tldr; is he an asshole or not
personally i think hes not cause its his hsc he can do w/e the fuck he wants.
I have no idea how you guys assumed he bombed out deliberately?

Sometimes people do poorly in an assessment task due to external factors, does not mean they did it deliberately in some hsc conspiracy or they did not try hard enough

ebbygoo

HSC
Amount of time put into subject ≠ results.

Although I do agree that you can't get good marks unless you put the time and effort into it, and study smart, you can't get the top marks.
However, I don't think the marks always truly reflect the time a student spends studying. Not to get personal and all, but for example, I did 30 past papers for my Maths 2U HSC last year, and while I did get a band 6, my raw was only 76 (from memory); however, that 30 past papers + the chapter reviews I did, etc, would've been close to 100 hrs, and I wasn't satisfied with the score I got for the effort I put into it.

This is just my opinion, however; I can understand where you're coming from, I just don't think you've considered all situations in your statement.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Without knowing the person directly and for an extended period of time, it is impossible to make an accurate judgment whether the person deliberately didn't try as hard as he could have-I am sure it is extremely rare individuals voluntarily don't give something their best shot...

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I didnt give my best shot. was gaming inbetween exams. i reckon i coulda got 98-99.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
I didnt give my best shot. was gaming inbetween exams. i reckon i coulda got 98-99.
Same here, completed pokemon b and b2 during trials.

You can't expect consistency all the time - he may have had personal issues which nobody knows. Anyway, if the same thing happened to someone coming second instead, no one would really bat an eye. Depending on cohort size and quality, youd usually have late sprouters that peak in the externals anyway

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Amount of time put into subject ≠ results.

Although I do agree that you can't get good marks unless you put the time and effort into it, and study smart, you can't get the top marks.
However, I don't think the marks always truly reflect the time a student spends studying. Not to get personal and all, but for example, I did 30 past papers for my Maths 2U HSC last year, and while I did get a band 6, my raw was only 76 (from memory); however, that 30 past papers + the chapter reviews I did, etc, would've been close to 100 hrs, and I wasn't satisfied with the score I got for the effort I put into it.

This is just my opinion, however; I can understand where you're coming from, I just don't think you've considered all situations in your statement.
yes, sorry i was generalising

but overall, if one puts the work in throughout the year then they should see the results, aside from the people who do genuinely put in the work but unfortunately their marks don't reflect it

yes studying smart is also a good idea - its up to the individual on how they do this.

congratz on the band 6 btw :) - Don't be disheartened, you still did better than most people in our school and you're in year 11! [My personal example - I also did HSC 2U maths in year 11 and got 88 - but this was done with minimum study and natural talent. when it came to the HSC, i really had to put the hard yards in to get the marks]

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
It isn't his role to carry the rest of the cohort, I wouldn't say selfish but just an inefficient use of his resources (potential).

The cohort shouldn't be angry at him when ultimately their individual performances could've been higher with personal improvement, rather than relying on a strong outlier to pull up their internal mark.

Reactions: D94

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
It isn't his role to carry the rest of the cohort, I wouldn't say selfish but just an inefficient use of his resources (potential).

The cohort shouldn't be angry at him when ultimately their individual performances could've been higher with personal improvement, rather than relying on a strong outlier to pull up their internal mark.
this is what i was trying to say earlier

Hopp

HSC
I wouldn't say that's a selfish act, it's not that guys responsibility to regulate his cohort's marks, and everyone is responsible for their own.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

nailed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)