HSC
i'm going into year 11 next year (2020) and so far these are my subjects:
advanced english
advanced maths
textiles
biology
chemistry
physics

so in total this adds up to 12 units, but i also want to do a tafe course worth 4 units, so all in all I'd be studying 16 units!

is that absolutely crazy and am i putting myself under too much pressure????
any advice?

andrew12678

HSC
Agree with Sida, I felt like 12 units in Year 11 was already a trek (hence I dropped to 10)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What is the tafe course you are considering?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
im thinking of doing a Certificate II in animal studies!
Do you have a careers advisor/ know people in the year above?

Unless you think you will need it for your future career then probably would not suggest doing the TAFE course. Can you try it for a bit or will the full cost have to be paid upfront?

popjin

HSC
I think you'd be fine. I'm currently doing a Cert III in Live Production so although I can't speak for your specific course, Category B courses generally have a much less intensive workload than the courses you'd be doing at school.

However, one consideration you'd have to make is if your Cert II will count towards your ATAR. I did a quick search, and that specific course doesn't seem to count, so I'd highly recommend you are absolutely certain you can still get an ATAR if you drop anything.

Also, what is your pattern of study for this course? According to the NESA site, the 4 unit course is only over one year, so that might be another factor to consider.

ruby.d

HSC
Do you have a careers advisor/ know people in the year above?

Unless you think you will need it for your future career then probably would not suggest doing the TAFE course. Can you try it for a bit or will the full cost have to be paid upfront?
yeah I want to be a zookeeper, so thats part of my qualifications, and I'm pretty sure the full amount needs to be paid upfront :(

vinlatte

HSC
I have a friend that took a TAFE course during yr 11 but dropped it when yr 12 started. They were able to drop 2 units during yr 11, so they still had 12 units total including TAFE. From what I heard, there is a lot of effort you have to put it travelling and studying at two different schools. And with 12 other units, you would have to drop at least one subject to keep up with your workload.

16 units means you could potentially drop 3 subjects. But if you like your subjects too much, then drop a subject you're not doing so well in. I'm also doing a Category B subject in hosp, and there is much less workload than heavy content subjects, so it is good to have a mix of subjects so it's not overwhelming.

Amazing luck on your subjects next year!

MONONYMOUS

HSC
i'm going into year 11 next year (2020) and so far these are my subjects:
advanced english
advanced maths
textiles
biology
chemistry
physics

so in total this adds up to 12 units, but i also want to do a tafe course worth 4 units, so all in all I'd be studying 16 units!

is that absolutely crazy and am i putting myself under too much pressure????
any advice?
Bruh. I'd try and get rid 2-4 units that you don't necessarily need because that sounds like a sht ton of work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)