• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do they give decimal marks in HSC (1 Viewer)

jonolad69

HSC
That’s actually false, I saw a 23 students mark distribution and he actually got 2 19.5 (he bought his marks from NESA). But I believe since it’s double marked they take the average if the discrepancy isn’t too large between the marks awarded.
no. not true. 19.5 goes up to 20. i have sources. and you're all wrong. 19.5 ----> up to 20.

19.5, 0.50 rounds up. its just simple math.

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
it's common sense kiddo. You're just pulling stuff out of your ass, who told you they round 19.5 to 20? who told you they average the marks of two markers? The markers aren't allowed to give different marks.
IMG_0595.jpeg
it says if they differ considerably not if they simply differ. this means you could in fact get an average of two marks that are close but not the same.

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
That’s actually false, I saw a 23 students mark distribution and he actually got 2 19.5 (he bought his marks from NESA). But I believe since it’s double marked they take the average if the discrepancy isn’t too large between the marks awarded, eg one marker gave 19 the other gave 20 the student will get a 19.5 and no it won’t be rounded. However if u only get 1 .5 mark and your overall is in the .5 it will get rounded up to the nearest whole.
i think that’s what he meant, or at least that’s how i was interpreting it

PCNQQn2

HSC
N/A
eg one marker gave 19 the other gave 20 the student will get a 19.5 and no it won’t be rounded
This. The rounding happens later.

The raw marks are added up (including the 0.5s) to form a raw total. Marks are then aligned based on the band cut-offs (see https://www.nsw.gov.au/education-an...-aligning-exam-marks-to-achievement-standards).

Decimals can also be introduced due to option question scaling.

Aligned HSC examination marks are at least one decimal place (schools have access to them as 1dp). Students receive the marks after rounding. UAC get the unrounded unaligned marks for calculating ATARs also.

For those saying the marks are rounded (e.g. 19.5 to 20), this wouldn't make sense if there are two essays with 1/2 marks. A student with a 19.5/20 and an 18.5/20 wouldn't get a total of 39/40 - they'd get 38/40 across both.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)