10...11...12...13 (1 Viewer)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Thanks Adrita for your responses.

Why do you recommend 11 units? What does it really serve you?

Also, why did you enjoy HIX?
Why I recommend 11 units:

1. You will waste an entire year doing a subject that will not count (unnecessary pressure, time and effort wasted). I know the idea of a "safety net" sounds nice, but in the end you will be like, "Why did I drag that subject on the whole time? I could have done better in the rest of my subjects"
2. Doing 10 units is too risky, unless you are confident in your abilities of all 10
3. 11 is the best safety net. All your effort will not go to waste, you will be pulled up by 0.5 of a unit if you do not as well in the other. This has saved many, many people.

And I did not do history extension. However, it is not studying history at a harder level and does not have to do with how well you do in your Modern History course. They are completely unrelated. History Extension is very flexible, you get to study what you like and it has a major.

Anyway, do what you enjoy most, it's what counts. You are much more likely to do well.

emilios

HSC
As a student with still 5 HSC exams to go (i do 12 units), here's my insight.

If you have a 'bad' subject, it's a no-brainer. Drop straight away. I'm guessing you don't thought so let's continue.

If you're truly confident with your subjects (excluding English coz lelz) then I think 10 units is better. The idea of a 'safety net' will just (1) probably give you a false sense of security and (2) detract time from your other subjects.

The only reason I did 12 units was because I was coming first in all my subjects and it felt weird to drop. Plus the only thing that I would've dropped was Economics and I liked that subject too much (one can't possibly fathom dropping Chem or Physics). Plus, I thought having 12 units would keep me productive and ensure my work ethic was at a max. Which it kind of did, I haven't really slacked off all year, but sometimes I just think of how much better I could've done in say, English or Physics if I had dedicated more time to those instead of Eco. On the flip-side, I know people with 6-8 units (accelerants) that got complacent and ended up playing Dota all year.

Final verdict: 10 but don't slack off. Smash all your subs and trust me there will be no ragretz.

EDIT: Didn't read you were considering HX. You should pick it up. 11 units is still good.

mreditor16

HSC
As a student with still 5 HSC exams to go (i do 12 units), here's my insight.

If you have a 'bad' subject, it's a no-brainer. Drop straight away. I'm guessing you don't thought so let's continue.

If you're truly confident with your subjects (excluding English coz lelz) then I think 10 units is better. The idea of a 'safety net' will just (1) probably give you a false sense of security and (2) detract time from your other subjects.

The only reason I did 12 units was because I was coming first in all my subjects and it felt weird to drop. Plus the only thing that I would've dropped was Economics and I liked that subject too much (one can't possibly fathom dropping Chem or Physics). Plus, I thought having 12 units would keep me productive and ensure my work ethic was at a max. Which it kind of did, I haven't really slacked off all year, but sometimes I just think of how much better I could've done in say, English or Physics if I had dedicated more time to those instead of Eco. On the flip-side, I know people with 6-8 units (accelerants) that got complacent and ended up playing Dota all year.

Final verdict: 10 but don't slack off. Smash all your subs and trust me there will be no ragretz.

EDIT: Didn't read you were considering HX. You should pick it up. 11 units is still good.
+1

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to emilios again." :lol:

anguyenh

HSC
On the flip-side, I know people with 6-8 units (accelerants) that got complacent and ended up playing Dota all year.
Story of my life, except i don't play Dota (I did 8 units at school this year)

Consider this: Your biggest dilemma right now is whether you want to drop eco and pick up history ext. so I recommend:
1. Pick up your Economics textbook, flip through future content and visualise whether you'll be bothered to study this content for months on end, all the way to the HSC and prepare at least 10+ essay plans to a range of topics. It'll be really worth it if you maintain an interest in the subject all year as it really helps with your ATAR/scaling if you do well
2. English Extension 2 major project: consistent work throughout the year. Are you 100% sure you'll be keen to work on this all year round, no chances of dropping it? (You just started but who knows)
3. Most importantly: Consider whether you have a slight, just a slight disinterest in any of your other subjects - because if you drop down to 11 you're deadset stuck with all your subjects and you can't budge ALL THE WAY THROUGH TRIALS AND UNTIL OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2015.

Honestly if I were you I'd pick up History Extension and bear with Economics until the end of Term 4 (but if leading up to your first round of exams you realise you are completely disinterested in the subject/whatnot just flunk/drop that subject and focus your efforts on your other subjects - no worries)

The only person who knows when it's "right" whether to drop a subject or not is yourself - whether that's during Term 4, Term 2 or after Trials. We can only give you advice. :) (P.S. It took me only until Term 1 Wk 1 to figure out I wanted to drop Legal so that was ok)

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Insurance is kind of a dumb idea, it's better just to focus on all your best units TBH
11 is a decent number, less workload than 12 but "safer" than 10. (I do 11!! Best life :D)

matchalolz

HSC
I do 11 units because my timetable didn't work out OTL (was going to do 12) but then now I realise how much easier it is with only 11 and that there was legit no point of me having a safety net that would fk up all my other subjects lol

will probably cri after my first assessment block though

Simran-

HSC
Im doing 14 units. 2 of those units were supposed to be completed in yr 11 but it didn't work out plus I have also dropped maths (i was on 16 units for prelim). But now when I see all my subs...I don't wanna drop anything :p I like all of them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)