2007 co-op (1 Viewer)

cruzer

HSC
Yeh, i'm beginning to think the shortlist isn't very short. God that sucks for the shortlisted.

However someone said 16 gets offered and 16 gets shortlisted. But I recall during the briefing day someone asked how long the shortlist was, and the reply given was something along the lines of "who knows, we might even shortlist 10 people who we like". I don't know about anyone else but that gives me the impression that they wouldn't shortlist as many as offered, because there's no point, as if even more than 3 people are going to reject their offers.

But I think I'm just trying to make myself feel better lol.

But yeh, good work on the people gaining offers, clearly the rest of us weren't good enough.

sunny

meh.
HSC
2sense said:
Then how many you reckon will make the shortlist. For accounting , there are 40 interviewees and 11 spots so according to that , how many do you think would make a shortlist?
cruzer said:
But I recall during the briefing day someone asked how long the shortlist was, and the reply given was something along the lines of "who knows, we might even shortlist 10 people who we like"
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for the size of the shortlist. When I did mine we guessed it was equal to the number of places there are too, but it makes more sense for them to put anyone they think is a candidate on the shortlist, with a "reasonable" number being the number of places available, in the extremely remote case everyone offered a position rejects it.

2sense

The disorderly drunk
HSC
who would reject co-op 13 grand each year and the first year you don't even work.

milton

HSC
2sense said:
who would reject co-op 13 grand each year and the first year you don't even work.
for actuarial, we start working in exactly a year from now during the summer holidays...
who would reject a $13k scholarship? quite a few ppl actually, especially really good ppl who get offered better scholarships like malcolm chaikin ($!5k), scientia ($10k), or usyd ones or they want to do medicine or law
i know some that have rejected coops on the basis that coops dont allow you to do combined degrees.. the only bad thing :(

sunny

meh.
HSC
2sense said:
- People who apply for coop usually apply for more than one. If you get accepted for both obviously you can only take one
- Already mentioned, people who get better scholarships
- People who end up going to another university for whatever reason
- People who decide they don't want the scholarship because they don't want to do that degree

cruzer

HSC
Having read the last few posts, I have to ask - so shortlisted for acturial, actually have a chance at getting an offer? Wow. As much as say 3 people will get offered from the shortlist from say a shortlist of 6-9? Lol, or am I hoping for too much?

So people would go for combined law, instead of actuarial co-op, I always thought that didn't happen with actuarial, only like ism, bit etc

haque

HSC
milton said:
2 (including me) got offers, 2 shortlisted... haven't heard from the other 4 yet who were also interviewd)
last yr ruse got 4 actuarial offers... maybe we can break that record

do the maths... (for actuarial) 61 were interviewed... 16 places... the shortlist will also be around 16... so about half would be unsuccessful
Ur grade will probably breaK last year's record(aren't u guys academically much better?)

And to those who got shortlisted-good luck guys
I applied for Malcolm Chaikin as well but even if i do get it, i'll probably stick to co-op(i only need to maintain 65% for scholarship while for the others i'll need 80% or more)-i dunno maybe other people would take malcolm chaiking but it seems a bit risky to me-i mean uni is completely different to hsc lol(isn't it?)

cruzer

HSC
Lol, Haque, take the MC, it's more leet! But definitely congrats on the co-op.

Man, i thought my un-named school would do a lot better, 5 were interviewed, but 1 shortlisted, 1 other not sure, 3 not well off.

haque

HSC
Thanks Cruzer-the choice for the MC is made easier for me as i'm probably unlikely to get it at this stage-my hsc didn't go as planned. Yeah I'm a bit surprised by ur school's performance seeing as how it is a great school and u guys r one of their better yr12 groups

sunny

meh.
HSC
Nah, you should hope comp sci will come through :p

2sense

The disorderly drunk
HSC
sunny said:
- People who apply for coop usually apply for more than one. If you get accepted for both obviously you can only take one
- Already mentioned, people who get better scholarships
- People who end up going to another university for whatever reason
- People who decide they don't want the scholarship because they don't want to do that degree
its free money. maybe 1 or 2 in shortlist so you have to be at the top.

sunny

meh.
HSC
2sense said:
its free money. maybe 1 or 2 in shortlist so you have to be at the top.
I wouldn't call it "free" money...you do spend time working full time to get that money over the course of your degree.

The idea of that kind of money does appeal to the year 12 student coming out of high school, who's probably never gotten income in the 5 digit range before, but after doing it for a couple of years myself I know people who've gotten into coop and realising its not for them, even if there is money involved.

haque

HSC
But for actuarial studies that "work" incorporates part 2( a lot of it) of the program so in that sense isn't that like studying and completing the course for money-cos u have to do that industrial training for part 2 separately if u don't have co-op. i don't know about the other courses but i think that's the case for actuarial studies from my readings anyway. Btw Sunny would u have taken co-op if offerred(i dunno u might have been offerred and rejected it) and what school did ya used to go to?

cruzer

HSC
Sooo, 2-3 make it from the shortlist for actuarial right. How long would the damn shortlist this year for actuarial be anyway? Does Haque or anyone know?

haque

HSC
I'm not too sure but i would think a maximum of 14 cos some of my friends got rejected and they r pretty talented so the shortlist selection would have been strict bin itself(but i reckon round 10)

sunny

meh.
HSC
haque said:
Btw Sunny would u have taken co-op if offerred(i dunno u might have been offerred and rejected it) and what school did ya used to go to?
I got offered computer science and I took it, otherwise I would've graduated already :p I went to Sydney Tech, graduated 2002.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)