2009 UMAT - How did it go? (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
hey everyone
first off id like to say congrats for just completing the UMAT.
it is OVER!! :)

im from WA, where a lot of people are still sitting their test, so try not to say too much about the actual content...

I agree overall with what most people have said, you have all made some valid points. I sat the umat last year, and in my opinion it was waaay easier in section 1 then last year.
the biggest thing with this section, is just getting through all the questions and finishing on time, as most people dont. So well done if you actually finished!

i think the reason a lot of people found section 2 so difficult was- yes the passages were a lot longer then previous questions suggested, but the real reason was most of the questions were very open to interpretation.

If you had done something like English Literature or had read very widely, you would have probably blitzed this section, as most people sitting the umat have very maths/science orientated brains and would struggle to get through all the information and then see the underlying or suggested meaning from what they just read was , which imo was what a lot of this section was about.

It wasnt just about reading on a superficial level, it was about understanding what characters implied or felt and your ability to empathise with them.

Section 3 is where maths/science brains flourish, and overall i think this section tested a lot of people. unfortunately i didnt do meddentry prep that some people suggested was helpful, but i definitely found this section the most difficult time wise, but generally the level of questions werent too bad.

Tbh, this umat test was easier then last year for those who did it, and dont feel disheartened if you didnt do well- there are lots of people in your position, but none of them would probably admit it on this forum.

Best of luck to everyone applying to the respective health science schools!
+1
That's exactly what happened to me... Took too long to read and ended up not doing the last 7 questions coz I didn't have time in section 2.

I'm expecting the most horrible mark ever in that section.

FlameFromBeyond

HSC
section 1 was ok... a couple of tricky ones, but pretty much the standard of the ACER past papers...

section 2 was way too ambiguous. you could basically eliminate two obviously wrong answers, but of the remaining two, both seemed very right and possible. just hope i chose the right ones

section 3 i found very very hard. it was incredibly different to the ACER practice ones, with new patterns and very few 3-2, or other common ones....

i would be interested in seeing how this UMAT test is scaled and ranked in terms of difficulty...

brain-dead now anyway, so lets wait until september/october

FlameFromBeyond

HSC
Oh, I think they split it depending on when you paid/registered, is this true?
Fuck me dead for applying a week before the deadline. If I started at 1:30PM I could have studied all morning. =.=
/sigh.
i don't know how they split it, but it must not have been like that... i applied about two and a half months before the exam, and i was in the morning session...

btw, how many people do you reckon were in our session?

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
My thoughts on the 2009 umat

AHAHA HIS MICROPHONE STOPPED WORKING WHAT A TOOL HAHA.

Stupid hag, theres 11 minutes left let me go to the damn toilet ffs.

1. got owned
2. got owned a little less
3. got owned a little less than that.

brunx

HSC
section 1- easy, finished about 15 minutes early
section2- pretty easy aswell. only a few ambiguous answers.
section3- well this was really no different to what we have to do to join mensa. Most of the patterns were pretty easy to see, especially when you apply Cavendish's Process of Elimination. Finished this section with about 10 minutes left so just sat back and chilled, thinking of how much stress everyone else was under. Can't get over the looks on their faces going into the test centre lol:):):):headbang::headbang:

ATAR aim: 99.25+

kwokie

HSC
Lol i didnt finsih any of the sections, i left 10 questions out in each questions.

kwokie

HSC
section 1 - shit
section 2 - shit
section 3 - shit

But hey, at least i was consistent :)

Did anyone else run out of time for each section or was it just me?
'
I ran out of time for every section lol, left about 10 each secction. And its scary to go back to the ones u left out and guess them, always feels like someones looking. Don't want to be disqualified.

dolbinau

HSC
'
I ran out of time for every section lol, left about 10 each secction. And its scary to go back to the ones u left out and guess them, always feels like someones looking. Don't want to be disqualified.
Can you be?

I thought you just couldn't refer back to the booklet..

kwokie

HSC
Can you be?

I thought you just couldn't refer back to the booklet..

Well the statement made was any students found to be working in wrong sections would have penalty imposed such as disqualified and future cannot sit umat. SOmething similar to that.

I suppose any sort of answering in wrong section would be counted as working in wrong section.

Dimplez

HSC
Really disappointed with my 40 minute brainfart in section 3...guessed more than half...completely screwed it up. :( Hope some of my guesses were right.

I found section 1 and 2 okay though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Meh. Don't care about it that much. What was annoying was the guy at the microphone, telling us there were 10 minutes left. Just tell us that there are ten minutes left and shut the fuck up. No need to launch into a 60 second diatribe about not going back to past sections, or looking forward, or reminding us to check our work. 10 minutes turned into 9 minutes...by listening to him, and then 8 minutes, having to gain the rhythm of the passage again. :p

dolbinau

HSC
Meh. Don't care about it that much. What was annoying was the guy at the microphone, telling us there were 10 minutes left. Just tell us that there are ten minutes left and shut the fuck up. No need to launch into a 60 second diatribe about not going back to past sections, or looking forward, or reminding us to check our work. 10 minutes turned into 9 minutes...by listening to him, and then 8 minutes, having to gain the rhythm of the passage again. :p

Word.

shantu1992

HSC
bahaha and when he was reading the instructions he kept fucking up lol

astroe

HSC
i don't know how they split it, but it must not have been like that... i applied about two and a half months before the exam, and i was in the morning session...

btw, how many people do you reckon were in our session?
LOOL.
Damn.

Well it can't be by surname either. :/

Hm number of people... on average I think each letter (i.e, A, M, AA) was like.. 5 rows x 12 people per row? LOL. I'm purely guessing here =.=; anyway so thats 60 per letter, and the letters went up to like.. DD? Argh, seriously can't remember.

So thats like 30 x 60 = 1800? LOL.

What day do we find out our results?
Results in the mail around late September!

I KNOOOOWWW.
Faaaarrr..

I thought he was going to tell me time was up and I had like a few question to go then I'd have like a mini-panic attack. Really throws you off course when some guy tells you theres no time left whilst taking up time to do so. =.=

When he said to turn to the next section, I was assuming we had to wait for him to say 'start' or something. :S

Did anyone's parents get fined?
LOLL. My dad was complaining about the parking officers being dicks or something.

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
lol my thoughts exactly, that asshole wouldnt shut up with his monotonous rubbish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)