2010 Philosophy Distinction course (2 Viewers)

jet

Banned
HSC
Lol. I dunno. I learnt a lot from the coordinator.

misspandoraa

Giver of free hugs
HSC
So, I heard that they'll be 2500 pages of Philo notes or sheets or something we have to read.
Is this true? If so, that's ... wow, thats more than the Cambridge 3u textbook.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Just talked to my mate who did Philo who sits next to me in Maths he said that sounds about right.

wendybird

HSC
Oh gosh, honestly - I wish people wouldn't go out there, particularly in a course like Philosophy aiming to "beat the competition". By its nature, Philosophy isn't conducive to that sort of attitude. Combative arguments rarely succeed (in terms of essays) and generally speaking the atmosphere just isn't like that.

I didn't notice much competition, if any, because people were simply enjoying the course for what it was. The people who did the best were the people who simply enjoyed it, and even those who didn't get a state rank for example, felt deeply enriched by it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh gosh, honestly - I wish people wouldn't go out there, particularly in a course like Philosophy aiming to "beat the competition". By its nature, Philosophy isn't conducive to that sort of attitude. Combative arguments rarely succeed (in terms of essays) and generally speaking the atmosphere just isn't like that.

I didn't notice much competition, if any, because people were simply enjoying the course for what it was. The people who did the best were the people who simply enjoyed it, and even those who didn't get a state rank for example, felt deeply enriched by it.
Lol, were you taking me seriously :p

I don't think I have the mindset to compete in such a high level course. I'm in it for the ride (sh*ts and giggles if you may).

misspandoraa

Giver of free hugs
HSC
I'm just wondering how my personality and way of thinking will change after this journey of philosophy. Magic carpet ride anyone?

wendybird

HSC
lol, sikhman.

um...well now I read Paul Davies "Mind of God" and Peter Singer "Practical Ethics" for fun?

it possibly made me a better debater too. maybe.

- aquawhite, i did take you seriously because that's how some people seriously approach it (to the hsc and life in general), a rather stressful approach imo.

haha. your personalities won't change much, you'll just be yourself but smarter ;)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm excited but slightly fearful of the level of intellectualism I will have to raise myself to. I see this in a very optimistic light though.

misspandoraa

Giver of free hugs
HSC
Heh heh, I'll have to improve on my essay and reasoning before then...
I'm slightly fearful since most people there are going to be year 12s next year,
While I'll be only in year 11. But I guess it'll be nice, I guess.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Heh heh, I'll have to improve on my essay and reasoning before then...
I'm slightly fearful since most people there are going to be year 12s next year,
While I'll be only in year 11. But I guess it'll be nice, I guess.
What did you accelerate in + how did you go? Were you glad you accelerated?

jet

Banned
HSC
Whaaaat.. cosmology was horrible.. except for the food at res haha :)

Anyway, I got into philosophy.
So hopefully it'll be more interesting for me :D
Lol, it was mostly all the advice David gave me. I got so much, and I wouldn't have done well without it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)