2014 HSC English Predictions? (1 Viewer)

_s2

HSC
what are the chances of getting a characterisation question for hamlet considering 2012 was the last time they asked for one?

_s2

HSC
As in, do you think it'll be likely that they ask us a question that requires examining the interactions between characters? i really hope they don't because my whole essay is pretty much on Hamlet (the character) only but i guess i'll just need to prepare for it anyways haha

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Throwing some questions to get people thinking more deeply about certain modules and belonging, starting off with belonging:)

1)Personal relationships forms the foundation to one's sense of belonging. Geographical connections merely serves to consolidate such a sense of affinity through the progression of time. Evaluate this statement in relation to your texts.

2)What assumptions about belonging has been challenged through your study of texts this year? Analyse this statement in relation to your texts

3)Textual forms serves as powerful representation vehicles by which composers either alienate/invite responders to the fictional microcosms they create, revealing the ambiguous and complex nature of the quest to belong. Explore this statement in relation to your texts

4)The perspectives that are presented within a text is just as important as the perspectives that are absent from the text in developing a heightened awareness of the pertinent and lifelong quest to belong. Discuss this statement in relation to your texts

These are all created by me-so should be completely new-feel free to discuss and have a go at these questions:) Have fun guys:)

goobypls

HSC
Throwing some questions to get people thinking more deeply about certain modules and belonging, starting off with belonging:)

1)Personal relationships forms the foundation to one's sense of belonging. Geographical connections merely serves to consolidate such a sense of affinity through the progression of time. Evaluate this statement in relation to your texts.

2)What assumptions about belonging has been challenged through your study of texts this year? Analyse this statement in relation to your texts

3)Textual forms serves as powerful representation vehicles by which composers either alienate/invite responders to the fictional microcosms they create, revealing the ambiguous and complex nature of the quest to belong. Explore this statement in relation to your texts

4)The perspectives that are presented within a text is just as important as the perspectives that are absent from the text in developing a heightened awareness of the pertinent and lifelong quest to belong. Discuss this statement in relation to your texts

These are all created by me-so should be completely new-feel free to discuss and have a go at these questions:) Have fun guys:)
I would commit seppuku in the exam hall if I got 3) or 4), 1) and 2) aren't that bad though...

SuchSmallHands

HSC
can someone explain this?
I just posted that and left, didn't think anyone would really notice it sorry. I don't know if anyone has explained it the way I interpret it yet, but I cbf looking through two pages of stuff so I'll apologise if I'm just repeating. I take it to mean, a text can be constructed in a way which can isolate a responder or cause the responder to feel a sense of belonging to the world of the text. Strong focus on imagery and evocation of place, for example, can cause the reader to feel connected to rather than apart from the world created by the composer. That's just how I'd respond to a question like that though :)

Edit: if they were to give a question like that I'd say they'd give us a two sentence question which explained what it was asking a bit better and in simpler terms (ie, something like what I just gave then). AOS papers have to be phrased in a way that pretty much everyone can understand and respond to (which is why I have a little doubt over whether or not they'd ever actually use this part of the rubric. I guess they put it in knowing it was for the AOS paper, but I think the implications of throwing a question like this at the kids at the bottom of standard would be massive; there would be a lot of blank/rambling brain-dump essays). So yeah, I'd definitely be calling this question if we were talking about Adv Paper II or EE1, but I'm a little ambivalent over whether I can see the BOSTES (since we're being so technical on this thread) actually setting this as a question that has to be done by every single ATAR candidate in the state. I can see why it would appeal to them, markers always complain about the use of planned responses and this would throw nearly every planned response out the window, since a normal essay doesn't have the scope to talk about how you as a responder feel you belong in your text. Even so, it just seems too mean. Especially since this is everyone's first exam. Not to mention it's one that many people are already especially nervous about sitting, since English isn't everyone's forte but we all have to do it regardless.

Last edited:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
For those whose prescribed texts are a series of poems or say short stories, are you guys going into the exam with knowledge on all of them or just a few?
I'm doing Yeats mod B (I think it's mod b, that's critical study right?) and the only one I'll be completely unfamiliar with is the one they specified in 2012 (because they specified it already and I really hate it). I won't know some to great depth though, any Yeats question will be phrased in a way that doesn't force you to write the whole essay on one poem. It will be like 'how does this poem enrich your understanding of the themes x and y in Yeats' poetry'. For EE1 I'm doing poetry too, but they wouldn't specify one there I'm pretty sure, (they wouldn't make us talk about 5 texts and throw in a specified poem, especially since not all the people doing my module have my prescribed texts) so I'm not going to bother learning them all

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
For those whose prescribed texts are a series of poems or say short stories, are you guys going into the exam with knowledge on all of them or just a few?
I'm going to learn all of my poems except for one because it's actually a joke of a poem. For mod b, I'm just going to know my summaries well and which poems link together and how I can manipulate that to support my thesis. I've written up basic theses that cover a lot of the questions that have been asked before and poetic links I can draw. (I do Yeats btw!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm going to learn all of my poems except for one because it's actually a joke of a poem. For mod b, I'm just going to know my summaries well and which poems link together and how I can manipulate that to support my thesis. I've written up basic theses that cover a lot of the questions that have been asked before and poetic links I can draw. (I do Yeats btw!)

That's cool, I don't know anyone else doing it! I'm hoping they don't specify anything, but if they do I really hope it's Wild Swans at Coole or Easter 1916. If it's Leda or When You are Old I'll be so annoyed, and I don't really want to get into the Second Coming because it's such a different poem to his nationalist/romantic/pensive poetry. Leda is just a hideous poem, and a lot of the material on it deals with it so inappropriately. Not to mention 'is it really rape? It is at first but then she's seduced' is an actual quote from my English teacher.

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah 'when you are old' was idiotic in my eyes, it frustrated me reading about "boohoo one day you'll love me ;A;"

Anyone have any predictions for module B? My class is thinking it might be on relationships with (something) through (insert technique), or maybe perspectives.

ps. reading this thread just made me nervous. I was really calm up until a few minutes ago. Thanks guys.

GOsie

HSC
I've got Skrzynecki for belonging. I've learnt 3 poems well, and two related texts well. I know about 2 quotes for each of the other poems.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yeah 'when you are old' was idiotic in my eyes, it frustrated me reading about "boohoo one day you'll love me ;A;"

Anyone have any predictions for module B? My class is thinking it might be on relationships with (something) through (insert technique), or maybe perspectives.

ps. reading this thread just made me nervous. I was really calm up until a few minutes ago. Thanks guys.
Yeah I'm hoping the question angles itself more toward politics than the whole 'I can't get a girl to like me she'll probably die alone. Bitch'.

bitchslapper69

HSC
In saying that, has anyone got any good questions on the 'possibilities' of belonging?

Last edited:

britaker

HSC
I call something on minor characters. That or some kind of horrible contextual question.

britaker

HSC
I know 2 Dickinson poems well, but have a 3rd as back up should it work better with the question. xD So, just a few.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)