• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Chem exam tomorrow. Freaking out. GAH
Good luck, you'll be fine :D

Assuming that you're doing Production of Materials and Acidic Environment:

1) Make sure that you're all good with calculations (Especially with titration, try to avoid silly mistakes like adding the first titration to the titration volume average)

2) Make sure that you've mastered all the equations necessary, such as with the effects of acid rain in which you could mention the damage it does to limestone structures, and back it up with an equation in which an insoluble calcium sulphate precipitate is formed (assuming that it's sulphuric acid)

3) Make sure you know you're practicals really well, such as the molar heat of combustion practical, in which they could ask how you could improve the accuracy of your results, etc. and be able to explain why certain things happened in your experiment; such as why is the experimental value different to that of the accepted value of the molar heat of combustion of 1 - Propanol? Then you say that it may be due to incomplete combustion as indicated by the yellow flame given off by the spirit burner and the formation of soot at the bottom of the beaker/aluminium can (since carbon is a product of incomplete combustion. Also know why certain things are used, such as the specific alkanol mentioned above in which you could say that it is a short-chain alkanol, meaning that it is more likely to undergo complete combustion, etc.

Sorry for blabbering on, but these are the main things you should be able to do before the exam

On another note I've finished my half-yearlies!

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
eco is really interesting; a lot of the content you learn relates to real life situations since the concepts are logical to understand, which is great. have you ever wondered what happens when australia's economy is in a recession? or why investors are confident to purchasing housing property here because of the lowered interest rate? that's why eco is so useful imo even if you don't pursue a uni degree
Yeah all day erryday m9

rawrliongirl

HSC
Good luck, you'll be fine :D

Assuming that you're doing Production of Materials and Acidic Environment:

1) Make sure that you're all good with calculations (Especially with titration, try to avoid silly mistakes like adding the first titration to the titration volume average)

2) Make sure that you've mastered all the equations necessary, such as with the effects of acid rain in which you could mention the damage it does to limestone structures, and back it up with an equation in which an insoluble calcium sulphate precipitate is formed (assuming that it's sulphuric acid)

3) Make sure you know you're practicals really well, such as the molar heat of combustion practical, in which they could ask how you could improve the accuracy of your results, etc. and be able to explain why certain things happened in your experiment; such as why is the experimental value different to that of the accepted value of the molar heat of combustion of 1 - Propanol? Then you say that it may be due to incomplete combustion as indicated by the yellow flame given off by the spirit burner and the formation of soot at the bottom of the beaker/aluminium can (since carbon is a product of incomplete combustion. Also know why certain things are used, such as the specific alkanol mentioned above in which you could say that it is a short-chain alkanol, meaning that it is more likely to undergo complete combustion, etc.

Sorry for blabbering on, but these are the main things you should be able to do before the exam

On another note I've finished my half-yearlies!
Thanks this is really helpful! ^^

StudyToDeath

HSC
I've got my textiles exam tomorrow.

What's your opinion? Do you do the multiple choice first or last in an exam?

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Just finished my half-yearly exams today, I can't wait to get my marks and ranks back so I can get an ATAR estimate.

Ekman

HSC
Just finished my half-yearly exams today, I can't wait to get my marks and ranks back so I can get an ATAR estimate.
It's been 3 weeks since we did our half yearly's and we still haven't got our estim's yet. The year level coordinator keeps on saying that he will give them out the next day, but we never receive them at all... :(

Ekman

HSC
i've got all my ranks from my previous assessments thus far, except for english and modern

i went up to my department for my respective subjects and they said they'll pass them on in the half yearly report (wtf)

lyk it's been 3 assessments for english and no one in the advanced cohort knows their ranks

am i allowed to contact BOSTES on somethin' LOL. cos i wanna make a rant (notsrs)
That's rough, do you know your marks at least, because you can compare your averages and have a rough estimate as to what your rank is for both modern and English.

matchalolz

HSC
is it worth staying up late to do practice questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)