3 hours a night is not enough! (1 Viewer)

bogdanovs

HSC
Anyone who bases their study on time length and not results is a complete moron and is wasting their time.

3 Hours is plenty in my opinion if you work productively (trust me 95% people don't work productively). I know people who spend like 5 hours studying everynight before HSC but get no where.

Working productively includes removing mobile, turning off the computer, planning beforehand what you want to get done etc.

It also depends on what uai your after. Work consistently, throughout the year (including holidays) and take notes as you progress.

P.S Exercising > stress. There are going to be periods when you feel like complete shit and over stressed. It happens to everyone (term 3 for me) so get over it and move on. Also take comfort in knowing that 95% treat the first term as an initiation in year 12, so any work you do atm is actually setting you in front.

Last edited:

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
breathe... nice deep breaths. nah it'll all settle down once you get into a routine, then it'll be under control and you'll find you have more spare time after all

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Sarah182 said:
I've been thinking this over and I have decided to head more for doing questions rather than making notes.
I have noticed that just about everyone in my year is in a simlar boat as me, as in they have found the workload difficult so far.

I was a crammer Year 7-11 Im trying to change that.
Do you think a UAI of 96 is possible with 2-3 hours?
depends on your skills at cramming and your memorising capability.

Allan vB said:
What, exactly, does 'ex libris' mean? I know that 'ex' means from, so does libris have anything to do with liberty/liberalism? That doesn't seem to be very bookish, though...

Wrong place to ask but oh well...
libris steps from the word liber which literally means book or inner bark of a tree.

regarding the word 'free', that's also from the base word liber, but this liber is an abjective as opposed to a noun.
the latin word for freedom/liberty is 'libertas'.

HSC
i agree making notes is pointless
i spent stuvac procrastinating by making notes while watching tv
and in the end i learnt nothing

for the hsc i've crammed the day or two before the exam
and so far it's worked out well

but i'd agree with the others that have said that for maths you should probably keep practising... humanities/english cramming is easy

:::a:::

Un******
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:

but i'd agree with the others that have said that for maths you should probably keep practising... humanities/english cramming is easy
word.

mathematics and maybe chemistry is practice, but the rest is a memory test. which (despite previous contentions) can be remembered within 3 days.

fuck 4 hours of study this morning for Studies of Religion 1 and i killed it lol.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nirvanafreak02 said:

That may have applied to you but that will not necessarily work on others.

I suggest the OP to have a hard look on herself before she makes a decision about her own study routine. Outsiders like us cannot really come up with decent recommendation without knowing her own body type/study routine/study capacity/subjects and other factors such as environment. Best thing to do is to try as many study routines as possible to see what SUITS HER BEST.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i really doubt you are studying EFFECTIVELY if you are putting in that many hours and still not up to date. i am doing like 1-2 hours a night sometimes a bit more but really not as much as you and i am completely up to date with everything and made progressive notes on the syllabus. just try and be more targeted with your work. really you shouldnt be struggling if your going hard like that. try and target all your efforts so like decide in advance everything your going to do for that night and then you'll hopefully be able to be more efficient.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
you just need to keep up to date, just do the homework you are given and review class lessons, ie for bio just read over notes made for specific dot points etc, but 5 hours is over doing it, 3 sounds good, i did 0-2 a night and felt slight off before the trials but got through it easy

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Sarah182 said:
I am getting overwhelmed already!
3 hours a night isnt enongh to keep notes from the syllabus and for homework aswell. Im driving myself mad by doing up to 5 hours a night at the moment just to stay on top of everything.
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and study guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!
Has anyone else found this?
The first week was fine but now I have assessments and homework to do.

Any tips for more effective study?

Cheers :)

wth.
i don't even do 1 hour

erm

HSC
here's a tip: don't do the homework if you don't have time. Just make sure you keep up with your summaries and are ahead.

Homework i found was a waste of time - you benefit more by targeting areas that you know are weak for you rather than doing what the teacher says. Sure it pissed them off a little (some were really anal), but they can't complain since i pwned most of my classmates in the assessments.

having said that i didn't realise that for a while and as a result am cram-cram-cramming for the HSC as we speak!

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
That may have applied to you but that will not necessarily work on others.

I suggest the OP to have a hard look on herself before she makes a decision about her own study routine. Outsiders like us cannot really come up with decent recommendation without knowing her own body type/study routine/study capacity/subjects and other factors such as environment. Best thing to do is to try as many study routines as possible to see what SUITS HER BEST.
Thanks Namu, Ive found some of the stuff everyone has said really helpful and Im starting to realise that Im just going to damage myself more than help my HSC.

2 hours effective study a night looks like it will be the best option.

2008Premiers!

HSC
i didnt do more than an hour a night during this year for study. I found it hard concentrating for more than an hour. Get your work done in class and u should be fine.

3 hours is fine but anymore than 3 hours is just ridiculous. There is more important things than the hsc!

Last edited:

SimonLee13

HSC
3 hours is my max time. 4 - 45 min blocks, hard to find time to do more than that. Last 2 weeks before assessment probably up to 5 hrs for cramming.

Sangfroid

HSC
erm said:
here's a tip: don't do the homework if you don't have time. Just make sure you keep up with your summaries and are ahead.

Homework i found was a waste of time - you benefit more by targeting areas that you know are weak for you rather than doing what the teacher says. Sure it pissed them off a little (some were really anal), but they can't complain since i pwned most of my classmates in the assessments.

having said that i didn't realise that for a while and as a result am cram-cram-cramming for the HSC as we speak!
Yeah, exactly the case for me. Except with my distance education in Ancient History, I found that even though I did the homework, I just forgot it all when I slacked off. >_>

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
any homework i try to finish within an hour, then ~3-4 hours revising class work, notes, etc.
been working for me so far :]

shaon0

HSC
electrolysis said:
any homework i try to finish within an hour, then ~3-4 hours revising class work, notes, etc.
been working for me so far :]
wow you've been doing a lot. I haven't been doing anything but i hope to start studying for at least 4 hours a day next week.but i'm doubtful.

@who

HSC
if you do more than 3-4hrs then you will burn out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)