Aboriginals Recognised in Constitution (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Hey guys
I just heard on the radio today, a referendum will be held for integrating the Aboriginals of Australia into our constitution, to give them recognition as the first owners of the land, and extra benefits etc. I am wondering two things, what does this mean for Australia if this referendum is passed and what do you guys think about it?

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...nous-australians/story-fn59niix-1226248255803

Full Report: http://www.youmeunity.org.au/upload... ICR report_text_Bookmarked PDF 12 Jan v4.pdf

The proposals of the panel are:

3 Amendment of the Constitution
The Constitution is altered in the ways set out in the Schedule to this Act.

Schedule
Item 1
Repeal section 25 and section 51(xxvi) of the Constitution.

Item 2
Insert after section 51:
Section 51A Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
Recognising that the continent and its islands now known as Australia were first occupied by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
Acknowledging the continuing relationship of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples with their traditional lands and waters;
Respecting the continuing cultures, languages and heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
Acknowledging the need to secure the advancement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples;
the Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Item 3
Insert after section 116:
Section 116A Prohibition of racial discrimination
(1) The Commonwealth, a State or a Territory shall not discriminate on the grounds of race, colour or ethnic or national origin.
(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude the making of laws or measures for the purpose of overcoming disadvantage, ameliorating the effects of past discrimination, or protecting the cultures, languages or heritage of any group.

Item 4
Insert as section 127A:
Section 127A Recognition of languages
(1) The national language of the Commonwealth of Australia is English.
(2) The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages are the original Australian languages, a part of our national heritage.
The two sections of the constitution proposed for repeal are:

25 Provision as to races disqualified from voting
For the purposes of the last section, if by the law of any State all persons of any race are disqualified from voting at elections for the more numerous House of the Parliament of the State, then, in reckoning the number of the people of the State or of the Commonwealth, persons of that race resident in that State shall not be counted.

51 Legislative powers of the Parliament
The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to:
(xxvi) the people of any race for whom it is deemed necessary to make special laws;

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It doesn't really matter if they get recognised and they already get a whole heap of benefits so they shouldn't get more.

Acknowledging the need to secure the advancement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
What does this entail?

hayabusaboston

HSC
If they get extra benefits, then I think it's stupid.
Wait, they're treated as equals now to us, right? So if they're on equal political and socioeconomic status as us, then will they still be getting the other benefits? I thought its meant to be an encouragement of equality, so they have the freedom to advance their culture, without being bound to laws and regulations.

IamBread

HSC
Wait, they're treated as equals now to us, right? So if they're on equal political and socioeconomic status as us, then will they still be getting the other benefits? I thought its meant to be an encouragement of equality, so they have the freedom to advance their culture, without being bound to laws and regulations.
Right now they get so many benefits from the government it's stupid. They get a lot of free money, and for what? Being Aboriginal?
I'm all for equality, but giving them benefits is not equality.

Galladrim

HSC
Beyond the vague intangibility of lawyer vernacular, could some please explain in layman terms what physical changes this is making? What on earth does acknowledgement do? Wasn't that the whole point of Kevin Rudd's official apology?

hayabusaboston

HSC
Right now they get so many benefits from the government it's stupid. They get a lot of free money, and for what? Being Aboriginal?
I'm all for equality, but giving them benefits is not equality.
Yea what im saying is that I gather, now that they're equal with us, they dont get anything extra anymore, and just in general if someone, whether white or black or asian, wants something, they have to work for it. No more freebies. Or at least thats the message im getting from the radio.

So this new recognition is a good thing I guess? we're all put on the same level, with no unfair advantages/disadvantages.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
this is a recognition of a fundamental inequality

aboriginals were here first

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
I think recognition of them is good and it's one less thing for them/the UN to whine about. But how is the bit about "advancing" appropriate for a constitution?

IamBread

HSC
Yea what im saying is that I gather, now that they're equal with us, they dont get anything extra anymore, and just in general if someone, whether white or black or asian, wants something, they have to work for it. No more freebies. Or at least thats the message im getting from the radio.

So this new recognition is a good thing I guess? we're all put on the same level, with no unfair advantages/disadvantages.
So this new thing will remove the benefits they are currently getting?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Perhaps, like Chem Ali said (sorta), it might entitle them to ongoing benefits indefinitely if it can be construed that their lot in life is in need of "advancing"

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
No.

"(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude the making of laws or measures for the purpose of overcoming disadvantage, ameliorating the effects of past discrimination, or protecting the cultures, languages or heritage of any group."

itsMoeyy

HSC
lol this is bs. abo's should just gather all the abos out there and kill the white devils and take back their land.

not srs

delian

HSC
N/A
Which radio show you listen to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)