Academia-Employment (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone aspire to be an academic one day? Do your PhD, get a job (if you can), teach and conduct research? Just wondering.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I want to be a PhD in mathematics and go up to girls in bars and conduct this conversation:

Shadowdude: "Hey bby"
Girl: "Hi"
Girl: "So what do you do?"
Shadowdude: "I'm a modeller"
Girl: "Modeller? Don't you mean like... 'model'?"
Shadowdude: "No, no, no... I mean... mathematical modeller. Like I make equations to describe real world phenomena"
*girl walks away*
*Shadowdude's thought: 'wow, cross that off the bucket list'*

But seriously, a doctorate would be nice. Not sure if I'd like the job of an academic... that seems more like a thing we'd do "later" in our careers, not something we'd do straight out of our PhD or degree.

kcqn93

HSC
Asian parents told me to become a doctor.

Get PhD in computer science. trollface.jpg

acemusic415

HSC
I've always wanted to secondary teaching for English because I love the field of English, but I have a greater passion for law. So, I would love to teach law as a lecturer at uni in the future. Seems like a pretty decent job.

Valdek

Premium Member
HSC
I would love to go as far in post-grad study as possible and progress into academia in Political Economy or Sociology, but i'm not too sure how viable such a job would be--just taking the ridiculous academic job cuts that USYD is currently undergoing as an example.

HSC
Uni Grad
I want to be a PhD in mathematics and go up to girls in bars and conduct this conversation:

Shadowdude: "Hey bby"
Girl: "Hi"
Girl: "So what do you do?"
Shadowdude: "I'm a modeller"
Girl: "Modeller? Don't you mean like... 'model'?"
Shadowdude: "No, no, no... I mean... mathematical modeller. Like I make equations to describe real world phenomena"

*girl walks away*
*Shadowdude's thought: 'wow, cross that off the bucket list'*

But seriously, a doctorate would be nice. Not sure if I'd like the job of an academic... that seems more like a thing we'd do "later" in our careers, not something we'd do straight out of our PhD or degree.
bro that was my joke right up there.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I'd love to be an academic, roaming the campus, lecturing the undergrads...sounds like a sweet job. Like teaching but no children and even better holidays :p

izzy88

HSC
Yeah I'd love to be an academic, roaming the campus, lecturing the undergrads...sounds like a sweet job. Like teaching but no children and even better holidays :p
It's a little bit more than that...research and publication tends to be the bigger portion of an academics workload rather than teaching. So although there are lots of time (ie 'holidays') when you are not teaching, you are expected to be working/researching - its a lot more flexible than a 9-5 job, but from the academics I know - they are always thinking/working on one project or another - weekends/holidays etc. you have to have a passion for it.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Phd in aerospace engineering and lecture at uni.

Then when my students are struggling to understand something I can just say "COME ON GUYS! IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!"

izzy88

HSC
ahahahaha

more like no holidays, ever
^ this.

Every family holiday I've ever had has involved stops to take pictures of war memorials and visits to archives :p (mother is a historian). It pervades everything! Although it can include quite of but international travel if you're lucky :)

HSC
Uni Grad
In all honesty though, I would really want to do a PhD in a field of my interest, then work at a university.

Ryan_T90

HSC
It does sound interesting to be an academic. Although, I am only in Year 12 and because of that, I can't really say I want to or don't want to be one because for one, I am not in university and secondly, I don't know what I want to study. Because I don't know what I want to study I cannot really think of anything I would want to research. It is as easy as saying "Yeah, I want to be an Academic and earn a PhD", but really, I think the majority of people overlook the idea that they have to do research and instead rather look at the fact that they get to be called a 'Dr'.

Last edited:

Pfortune35

HSC
I could imagine myself as a high schooll teacher, put probs not a fancy uni proffessor even at a good uni

Apparently you have to teach anyway if you want to do research at certain unis/colleges

bleakarcher

HSC
Phd in aerospace engineering and lecture at uni.

Then when my students are struggling to understand something I can just say "COME ON GUYS! IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!"
It is rocket science isnt it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)