actuaries??-whats that (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Da Monstar
so far, i know of 3 ppl who are droppn out of actl n doing acct instead ... at unsw ....
Well in theory we have a 10-20% disappearin' rate per semester. Beat that! =D
Originally posted by ~Dreamer
actuaries may go on to be succefull with good income, only if theyre doing the course because its their interest, not cause of the oppurtunitites, which is also competitive. in the end they'll be boring buisness managers
not true mary ... atleast not for actuaries from unsw, they got personality :p
Is that what your UNSW ACLT lecturer told you? Cos that sure ain't true! =D
Originally posted by freaking_out
oh man, not the maquarie uni vs unsw debate again.:rolleyes:
ROFL! No debate. MQ owns UNSW in Actuarial Dept. =)
*points at flyin'* he started it :D
Did you know pointin' is rude? =p (But then so is tongue pokin'. *Stops*)
hey, he was just presenting "the facts"...ur the one who's been complaining.:p
That's absolutely right! =)=D

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by flyin'
Well in theory we have a 10-20% disappearin' rate per semester. Beat that! =D
well, it just shows how lazy macq students are ... while unsw students work hard (dedication) :p

no, head of actl dept at macq told me that when i went to the open day :D
ROFL! No debate. MQ owns UNSW in Actuarial Dept. =)
true. we sold it due to macq uni's lack of funds ....

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
well, it just shows how lazy macq students are ... while unsw students work hard (dedication) :p
Well, it more likely shows that MQ students are hard-workin' because they know there is a high possibility of failure. Whereas at UNSW there isn't a need to work because they don't fail you people (as much). :D
no, head of actl dept at macq told me that when i went to the open day :D
Do you even know who the Head of the Actuarial Dept at MQ is?
Stop makin' up stories. :p
true. we sold it due to macq uni's lack of funds ....
What exactly was your point?
Ha ha! We own UNSW ACTL! We'll it sell it to UWS, someday then. :D

SoFTuaRiaL

Ha ha! We own UNSW ACTL! We'll it sell it to UWS, someday then. :D
dont tell me ur gonna allow a uni like UWS to rise above macq in the actuarial rankings :p its embarrasing enough for u ppl to be second already .... u heard me flyin'? SECOND!! :D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
dont tell me ur gonna allow a uni like UWS to rise above macq in the actuarial rankings :p its embarrasing enough for u ppl to be second already .... u heard me flyin'? SECOND!! :D
:rofl:....yep one all! :D

maniacguy

maniacguy, people don't get all their exemptions at UNSW? And they still stay on?
[\quote]

Yes - usually it'll be because it's the first subject they've done that requires an exemption and they weren't expecting the step up, so that they're confident of getting their other exemptions from that point on if they do the institute exam.

Can you repeat subjects at MQ? At UNSW if you've passed the subject you can't do it again to try and get a better mark - you'd have to do the IAAust subject.

Disappearing rate? We're going to have to have a 30%+ disappearing rate by next year, because there's usually less than 100 people in third year and there are 150 doing the second year subject now...

[\quote]

I agree with flyin' - UNSW hasn't got anyone who would cry over getting a credit in one subject :rolleyes: (I mean, seriously. I would probably be disappointed with myself but I wouldn't cry over it - there are more important things in life)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SoFTuaRiaL
Eh... NO! :)
:rofl:....yep one all! :D
flyin' 0, freaking_out -1 :D
Originally posted by maniacguy
maniacguy, people don't get all their exemptions at UNSW? And they still stay on?
[\quote]

Yes - usually it'll be because it's the first subject they've done that requires an exemption and they weren't expecting the step up, so that they're confident of getting their other exemptions from that point on if they do the institute exam.

Can you repeat subjects at MQ? At UNSW if you've passed the subject you can't do it again to try and get a better mark - you'd have to do the IAAust subject.

Disappearing rate? We're going to have to have a 30%+ disappearing rate by next year, because there's usually less than 100 people in third year and there are 150 doing the second year subject now...
So if you Pass and need a Credit, you have to it externally. Good system. :)

At MQ, you can redo those subjects you've Passed (but needed a Credit for). However, here's the catch, they only offer the subjects (specific ACST subjects) once a year, and they are prereqs for the ACST subjects (for exemptions) next year. This essentially means you're one year behind. And that's just for one subject you fail. And to make matters worse, if you fail the first round (or fail to get a Credit) there is a great probability the same thing will happen.

For example, we have a (relatively Advanced :p) Statistics subject called STAT171 (as opposed to the easier STAT170). And startin' from next year, Actuarial Students need a Credit in it, before they can do ACST211 (in the followin' semester, which is now). And ACST211 isn't even an exemption subject. However, it's a prereq for ACST243 (which is an exemption), which is in 2nd year Second Semester.
Originally posted by maniacguy
[\quote]

I agree with flyin' - UNSW hasn't got anyone who would cry over getting a credit in one subject :rolleyes: (I mean, seriously. I would probably be disappointed with myself but I wouldn't cry over it - there are more important things in life)
I heard people cried for not gettin' enough Distinctions or High Distinctions. And it doesn't effect our GPA, since D = HD = 4 pts.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
so this is wat u meant by havn better things to do than goto actuarial ball
I didn't say that... they did. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)