actuaries??-whats that (1 Viewer)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
hi guys, im just goin in to yr 12 and i have been interested in the actuarial profession since i was in yr 10. I have been readin the cut offs and maq has much higher cut offs (not heaps) and im jus wondering y u ppl opted for the nsw program.... u can not get full exemptions from parts 1 and/or 2 of the IAA exams (whereas in maq u can ---with the b com/llb (act. stud) )

But the fact is that nsw offers a greater range of double degrees with actuarial...

Which uni offers the better program then in ur opinions?? (maq or nsw)

SoFTuaRiaL

the actl program at macq has a better foundation, given the fact that its been running for a much longer period.
the main reason i chose unsw over macq was because its possible to combine actl with software engg, wheras seng isnt offerd at macq

SoFTuaRiaL

i rekon aye! me n flyin' have been over this topic soooo many times that its not funny anymore
btw, probability of another "discussion" on this topic in the near future = 1

maniacguy

I chose UNSW over Macquarie because I related more to the UNSW program - it seemed more logical, and when I considered that I wanted to do Maths as well, then talking to the UNSW people I decided I'd get a better overall package (I also took into account the broader environment at each uni, though this was a smaller part of the package). I admit to having thought about the $5000 worth of scholarships (and hour less travel) going to MQ would have meant, but I have no regrets.

Supra, you can't get your part I or part II completed at UNSW under Actuarial/Law because there simply aren't enough subjects in 5 years. Even Macquarie has 6 years for the program. Under any other actuarial study plan you can get all your part I exemptions, and under the combined/co-op programs you can get part II as well.

As for which is better - that's entirely relative. If you want to compare difficulty, I'm going to quote a third year Macquarie student, who said that some of our subjects were harder than the corresponding subjects at Macquarie (before the subjects went on WebCT at UNSW they were publicly available, and so he looked up a couple of ours to get a head start on the MQ subjects, which are all password protected. It turns out the UNSW subject had stuff in week 1 that MQ didn't do until week 10...)

On balance, I'd probably say that the UNSW subjects are a little harder (from what I've seen) but I'm not convinced that there's a significant knowledge gap between the two unis.

Note that nobody ever mentions ANU or Melbourne in these discussions - probably because those were started with MQ's assistance, so are usually considered to be pretty close to it :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by SoFTuaRiaL
i rekon aye! me n flyin' have been over this topic soooo many times that its not funny anymore
btw, probability of another "discussion" on this topic in the near future = 1
lol, u were right. :D

SoFTuaRiaL

mainacguy: i've always been in doubt reg this. so, at unsw, with just an actl program, u get all of part I excemptions and all of part II with a combined is it?
does this mean that i would get exemptions from I and II?following are the actl subjects i'll be doin as part of my degree
1. microeco
2. macroeco
3. acct 1a & 1b
4. maths 1a & 1b
5. actl studies and commerce
6. financial maths
7. probability and stats for actuaries
8. stochastic models for actuarial apps
9. actuarial stats
10. life insurance & superannuation models
11. micro 2 OR macro 2
12. insurance risk models
13. financial economics for insurance and super
14. business finance
15. corporate finance reporting and analysis

how many exemptions will those give me? I or II?

cheerio

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
thanks guys, i think the best thing to do is to go to the open day things as well to make a good decision...im prolly leaning more to maq tho coz its closer to me...

btw theres actually a site full of actuarial jokes..
http://www.actuarialjokes.com/
which was amusing.

yes i agree, i believe the toyota supra owns the road..

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
well i didnt c that, i just added that extra bit --- thers no harm done-- and sorry if i have i have pissed off ne1 ....

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Supra
well i didnt c that, i just added that extra bit --- thers no harm done-- and sorry if i have i have pissed off ne1 ....
why wud u piss of anyone?
oh, u mean pissn me off by going to macq .... I'LL GET U FOR THAT !! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)