AMEB Exams? (1 Viewer)

turtle window

HSC
hey guys, inda new to this forum it's my first post O: I do realise this is for NSW and I'm SA so I don't know if it'll be different.

just wondering if anyone here knows how to become an AMEB examiner. I have googled and asked my piano teacher but nothing. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

And I just took my grade 7 piano exam the other week and I got an A for it! :)

Angelyte

HSC
wow! well done :) i know how much work it takes!

no more AMEB ever for me! forever and ever! MUHAHAHAHA! Die AMEB, Die!
:lol: It feeeels soooo good!

HSC
Uni Grad
whew... glad i did my 8th grade last year... got an A..
apparently three of the four pieces i played were of an A+ standard, according to the examiner... =D
my aural lowered my result but i'm still satisfied..

just gotta work on my aural more...
need tips for detecting and singing lower notes...
that's so hard for me :/

anyhow hopefully i'll try to either retain my A standard or work on the aural bit on my cert. of performance :L

Lina3

HSC
Hi :)

Lina here, I am new to this forum. This is my first post.

I do exams for classical piano and music theory. Doing 6th grade piano this year, so far I got a b+ for all my practical exams. As for theory I got 99.5%for grade 3 theory last year :D, doubt I will go that well this year though, the material is much harder.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Music boards on BoS need more activity I think :)

Well just to kick things off again, I sat my L.Mus.A just this week, and got it with distinction!! :D

I'm so over the moon!!!!

yy-d

HSC
8th grade piano exam tomorrow...followed by the 3rd HSC assessment next week. yay!
how am I coping? I'm not, really

I heard that you have to get at least a B to continue one with amus, any confirmation on that?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
8th grade piano exam tomorrow...followed by the 3rd HSC assessment next week. yay!
how am I coping? I'm not, really

I heard that you have to get at least a B to continue one with amus, any confirmation on that?
Doesn't really have any effect. AMusA and LMusA requires that you complete certain levels of Theory/Musicianship exams. That's the main requirement :D

Stevemotto

HSC
Umm, it went ok... I did 8th grade piano and I got a B+ which is more than I deserved for the amount of work I put in this year! The examiner was so nice, which was good.
Good luck for your exam!
I got an A on grade 8 when I was in year 8 XD. Happy days

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Are u serious.................. Damn im not waiting that freaking long.......
Well most people take it in year 12 with their HSC (since the pieces are already there), but there's no harm in trying now and keeping it along the side :)

Swirlymist

HSC
Wow. I never realised you had to do Amus in Year 12 to get the extra marks. I've just started Amus and I'm in year nine, I can't imagine doing it for 3 years :( or the stress of doing amus and the hsc in the same year, and I thought the last couple of months of 8th grade were stressful. I just did my 8th grade exam last week and got better than I deserved, a B+. I was really surprised because I only practise 4 times a week at most. My general knowledge REALLY let me down, it was so embarassing sitting there and getting the modulations all wrong. Even the examiner was smiling because for each signature that was minor I'd say major instead, even though I got the key right. And when I started saying each was minor, turns out it changed into major. General knowledge was a nightmare. My memory was really bad too, I stuffed up the last bar and the time signatures. But the examiner was nice, I played a few scales wrong but she gave me 100% for scales and aural and sightreading other than memory. She was probably excited to go home because I was the second last person she was examining for the day. Scared of amus, it sounds so hard :(

Stevemotto

HSC
Wow. I never realised you had to do Amus in Year 12 to get the extra marks. I've just started Amus and I'm in year nine, I can't imagine doing it for 3 years :( or the stress of doing amus and the hsc in the same year, and I thought the last couple of months of 8th grade were stressful. I just did my 8th grade exam last week and got better than I deserved, a B+. I was really surprised because I only practise 4 times a week at most. My general knowledge REALLY let me down, it was so embarassing sitting there and getting the modulations all wrong. Even the examiner was smiling because for each signature that was minor I'd say major instead, even though I got the key right. And when I started saying each was minor, turns out it changed into major. General knowledge was a nightmare. My memory was really bad too, I stuffed up the last bar and the time signatures. But the examiner was nice, I played a few scales wrong but she gave me 100% for scales and aural and sightreading other than memory. She was probably excited to go home because I was the second last person she was examining for the day. Scared of amus, it sounds so hard :(
Lol
wtf, how can you get B+ when you screwed up the scales and general knowledge? You must be pretty damn lucky imo. Anyways in Amus you dont have general knowledge or scales so that must put a lot of worry of your shoulders XD

Stevemotto

HSC
Lol
wtf, how can you get B+ when you screwed up the scales and general knowledge? You must be pretty damn lucky imo. Anyways in Amus you dont have general knowledge or scales so that must put a lot of worry of your shoulders XD
By the way, found out that you can actually get extra 4 marks in Amus if you passed it.
Got it from this link - www.unsw.edu.au/images/ced/UNSWEliteUG09_2.pdf

Tell me if im wrong.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Lol
AMusA and LMusA general knowledge is NOTHING like Preliminary-8th Grade.

From personal experience, it tends to be based more around the context of your composers and each piece will usually be asked about.

For example your examiners may start off by asking you "why do you play the piano" just to break the ice. And then they will proceed to any piece (say your second piece for convenience sake; and it is by Beethoven) and ask "what was the context of this composition in the life of Beethoven, and could you explain any influences which are apparent within it".

Basically it's more of a conversation/interview styled thing and it usually lasts anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Most important thing is not to stutter, go "ummmm", say "sorry, I'm just nervous" and the like. AMusA of course won't be as demanding, but LMusA requires a more rounded response. Some examiners may ask you about the key changes but they won't ask "name this key in this bar". It's very unlikely.

With regards to your application for bonus marks in the HSC, go out on a limb and finish it now (distinguish yourself :D) and have it as a back up just in case you do need the extra marks. No harm in trying out anyway.

elephantshoes

HSC
N/A
Hi turtle window. I haven't got a clue on what the requirements are to become an examiner, hopefully you've found out by now (2 years after you posted the question)... My guess is that you'd need to at least have finished all of the exams they offer and then also have a tertiary music education but you can always contact AMEB with an email and ask.

I have a question of my own seeing as there are so many people in here around grade 7. What speed do they expect scales to be played at for grade 7? I don't have access to a syllabus as I'm overseas at the moment and can't find any useful information online.

Thanks for any help :)

planino

HSC
i just had my 4th grade exam, but haven't received my results yet cos they mail it to your teacher now :( Anyway I'm hoping for an A, but expecting a B+ :(((((

(I know this is an old thread), but how do you guys play scales quietly? The rest of my technical work went fine (minus the Bb major contrary) but I'm just curious.
Also, during my Bb chromatic (my favourite type of scale), I accented all the Bbs. I have no idea why I did that, but it was fun :LL but will they mark me down on it? My examiner was super nice so I hope she didn't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)