Announcement from BOSTES/NESA - 2019 Syllabus Changes for Calculus courses (2 Viewers)

Wolf97

HSC
I'd be really happy with the syllabus if they didn't remove circle geo from 3u :(

Besides that I really like it.

leehuan

HSC
Has there been any word from MANSW regarding the new syllabuses?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
The syllabuses have now been updated today.

New versions are available here:

Standard: http://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/ass...athematics-standard-stage-6-syllabus-2017.pdf

Advanced: http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.a.../stage-6-mathematics/mathematics-advanced-new

Extension 1: http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.a...hematics/mathematics-extension-1-new-syllabus

Extension 2: http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.a...hematics/mathematics-extension-2-new-syllabus

In particular the Standard one replaces

"Students of the Mathematics Standard 1 and Mathematics Standard 2 courses study a common Year 11 course, Mathematics Standard Year 11, leading to the Mathematics Standard 1 Year 12 and Mathematics Standard 2 Year 12 courses. Schools have flexibility in providing alternate approaches to Mathematics Standard in Year 11 to address material essential for Mathematics Standard 1 in Year 12. This material is denoted by the symbol ◊. Students who follow the ◊ pathway in Year 11 Mathematics Standard will only be eligible for Mathematics Standard 1 in Year 12."

with

"Students studying the Mathematics Standard syllabus undertake a common course in Year 11. For the Year 12 course students can elect to study either Mathematics Standard 1 or Mathematics Standard 2. Students who intend to study the Mathematics Standard 2 course in Year 12 must study all Mathematics Standard Year 11 course content. Students who intend to study the Mathematics Standard 1 course in Year 12 must have studied the content identified by the symbol ◊ which forms the foundation of course. This content is important for the development and consolidation of numeracy skills."

In Advanced, the formula for variance which was in the Glossary has now been relocated in the body of the syllabus.

In Extension 1, The t-formulae in the recently published version of new Stage 6 Mathematics Extension 1 syllabus for implementation in 2019 that were presented in terms of θ will be changed to be expressed in terms of A

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
This is a bit dumb but are areas w.r.t. the y-axis still in the maths advanced syllabus? I can't find it.

(Can find appropriate volumes in ext 1)

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
This is a bit dumb but are areas w.r.t. the y-axis still in the maths advanced syllabus? I can't find it.

(Can find appropriate volumes in ext 1)
C4.2: Areas and the definite integral (page 59).

leehuan

HSC
C4.2: Areas and the definite integral (page 59).
Looks like it says "area under curve" which implied just x-axis to me?

Unless "under" actually includes "to the left of" as well

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Looks like it says "area under curve" which implied just x-axis to me?

Unless "under" actually includes "to the left of" as well
calculate areas between curves determined by any functions within the scope of this syllabus
wouldn't this count?

HeroWise

HSC
Bernoulli Distribution for 3u LOL, I WANT TO DO ITTTT. BUT am in accelrated LOLllll

Will probably leach of the new 3us LOL

leehuan

HSC
Does anyone know if the year 11 content is also examinable for the new calculus syllabuses?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if the year 11 content is also examinable for the new calculus syllabuses?
Yes it is.

To quote for example from

http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.a...ew-assessment-reporting.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

for the 2 unit exam on page 10,

“The examination will be based on the Mathematics Advanced Year 12 course and will focus on the course objectives and Year 12 outcomes. The Mathematics Advanced Year 11 course will be assumed knowledge for this examination and may be examined.’’

A similar thing applies to Extension 1 too.

Last edited:

Jojofelyx

HSC
So which topics do I skip when I'm doing past papers before 2019?

Qeru

HSC
I never did the old syllabus but from memory, for:

2u: skip geometry, parametric representation of a parabola and features like directrix and focus, a few calculus techniques like Simpson's rule, coordinate geometry (although I think it's assumed knowledge).

3u: skip geometry (including circle geo), things on parabolas like directrix and focus, angles between two lines, newton's method of approximation, simple harmonic motion (moved only to 4u), general solution of trig equations, sums of trig identities to products.

4u: again skip, geometry, all of conics (cross-sections of cones), graphing techniques (moved to yr11 3u although do them as really good practice), implicit differentiation, a few questions on subsets of the complex plane that involve sketching ellipses but I think they are still in the syllabus so just use knowledge of 2u dilations to do those, evaluating volumes using cylindrical shells, volumes of rotation (moved to yr11 3u although do them as really good practice), Newton's laws of motion (except for F=ma), circular motion questions (all of it moved to Mod 5 Physics new syllabus)

I may have missed a few things or mistakenly added something still in the syllabus
Edit: I was a bit slow sorry lol
Nice that covers everything, except sum to product ironically wasn't part of the old syllabus but is part of the new syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)