Attention all USyders - VSU Information (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
As you all probably know the student associations are going to try to charge us full fees for our student subscriptions. I've been advised, however, by someone on the board that if you send in half of your fees that you'll still be able to attend uni, and you won't be penalised in any way other than only being a member for the first semester.

Fight the power!

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Re: Attention all USyd students

You're forgetting that most students have enrolled and sent in the full ammount of fees, getting Sydney well over the 12 million they NEED.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah sorry to you first years, I only got confirmation of this today :/

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Hello all,

When this information was originally provided to me, I had decided to close the thread and sticky it, to prevent yet another, round about, pointless discussion upon the merits or stupidity of VSU.

I've since been advised that the information provided by withoutaface may not be entirely accurate, and hence, would advise all people who have read this to err on the side of caution and be careful.

Oh and I've re-opened the thread for you all to talk/argue/discuss it. PLEASE try and stay on topic.

I'd also like to invite the first years to ask questions in this thread about VSU and for the older members of the forum to please try and have rational discussion about it, and assist in educating the first years about all facets of VSU.

Last edited:

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC

Okay, first I'd like to apologise to WaF for my lack of sexyness and ask:

Is there ANY way we can get half our payments back?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

I suppose you could write to them and appeal under financial inability, claiming that without getting the fees back you couldn't afford food/books etc

franklin265

HSC
forgive my ignorance, but what the hell is vsu? and why is there a big deal made out of it?

whilst studying for my hsc last year, i'd be a acu studying and there's this massive sign saying "acu says no vsu" - what's the dealio??

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Voluntary Student Unionism. It means that you will no longer be required to pay what was until now a mandatory student fee of about $500-600 to the SRC, Union and SU Sport.

jpr333

HSC
Any confirmation on the original suggestion??

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
We should all stage a campaign to get our $302 back. I'm sure all the Liberals out there are on our side. Besides what USyd is doing smells really bad, if not legally then morally.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The ISA will be leading that charge. Whereas the Liberals are opposed to the fee, period, the ISA are more opposed to what they DO with our fees. When ISA's OurBloodySRC.com is finished and launched in time for O-week, you will be shocked at the sort of violence that our representatives have gotten up to with our money.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i will be paying the full amount 461 for the last time regardless if we can waiver the half amount or not...

as there are some thing union did which i believe was right, depite all the corruption which was said to be going on...

edit: to pay half of union fee, you may enrol in only half a year, so they will only be able to charge u as a student who enrol in half a year, then enrol the next half year before next sem begins (which is after 1st july)

Adam

HSC
This really sucks reading this after I've paid my 500.

Uselessness gets my money for the second semester too :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
wikiwiki said:
The Liberal Club is all about destroying the union and SRC.
You know better than anybody that we're really about maintaining the Union/SRC in such a way that they do not steal off students to fund their activities.
Phanatical said:
a vengeful Liberal Club who thinks the only good union is the Rugby Union
Yeah, I suppose that's why we're campaigning to stop the Sports Union charging compulsory fees as well?

The Liberal Club has been the only true voice on campus against compulsory unionism, and this is demonstrated by our two counter-protests, as well as the fact that we ran our "Choice" for SRC campaign specifically under the pretence that we supported VSU. We don't believe in destroying the union, but we don't believe in what is essentially theft to fund their activities either, there is a middle ground, despite what the left and ISA would have you believe.

If you want to find out more either PM me, email me at communications@liberals-usyd.org or post in this thread.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I accept your arguments, except that "pretence" should probably read "pretext". But it doesn't make wiki's nor my arguments any less valid.

The fundamental difference between the ISA and Liberal positions on VSU/USU is simple. ISA believe in a healthy and vibrant student community that forms a fundamental basis for a good university environment. Graduates should not leave university with just a good understanding of a subject, but as well-rounded individuals with an appreciation for community and cooperation. We do believe in the value of student unionism, but we believe that it has become so corrupted by party politics that it has become a negative, rather than positive aspect of the university experience. For us, VSU is a means to make our student associations more accountable to the students, until they prove themselves worthy to represent and service the student community. For all intents and purposes, the Independent Students' Association IS the middle ground you speak of.

For the Liberals though, VSU isn't as much a means as it is an end - specifically, an end to anti-Liberal campaigning by the left-dominated student associations - and you know this as well as I do. We want to fix our Unions, the Liberals want to divorce the student body from them. We want to do what students believe is right for students, the Liberals want to do what the Party believes is right for students - and the Liberal Club executive are absolutely hellbent on adopting the whole shebang, whether the issue is abortion, immigrants/migrants, HECS or even water desalinisation/recycling - and you, Justin, should know this better than anybody else here.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Well thanks for stereotyping my views on migrants and abortion, but if the SULC ever passed a motion declaring an anti choice position on abortion, I would probably resign as comms director.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I should have said your superiors on the Liberal executive. Nice people, but they aren't as much students as they are crazy right-wing nutjobs who wouldn't deviate from the Party on ANYTHING.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
You know better than anybody that we're really about maintaining the Union/SRC in such a way that they do not steal off students to fund their activities.

Yeah, I suppose that's why we're campaigning to stop the Sports Union charging compulsory fees as well?

The Liberal Club has been the only true voice on campus against compulsory unionism, and this is demonstrated by our two counter-protests, as well as the fact that we ran our "Choice" for SRC campaign specifically under the pretence that we supported VSU. We don't believe in destroying the union, but we don't believe in what is essentially theft to fund their activities either, there is a middle ground, despite what the left and ISA would have you believe.
hahahahah
'middle ground'
you're probably the biggest right winger on this board. look over the arguments over VSU on this site and you dispute union money going to subsidised food, support groups, child care, sport etc. i wouldn't call your undying faith in user pay system a moderate stance.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I said there was a middle ground between active destruction of the Union and forcing students to pay. That is the far right wing stance, yes, I never claimed it was a moderate one. The idea of actively destroying the Union would be an authoritarian/fascist one, rather than a far right libertarian concept.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
fair enough

how far from 'destruction' is your view of the union?
i'm sure no one was implying violence. but you'd rather the union didn't exist, don't you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)