Attention all USyders - VSU Information (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
yeah
so he'd rather every service was provided from private sources rather than any form of union
i don't know how that's a middle ground stance

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I don't have a problem with the union at all, just so long as it isn't stealing from students, though I'd suggest that the current evidence points to private catering services being more efficient than the union supplied ones.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
ISA sounds interesting, except having quah ruins it

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm only one of three founders. There are two others who more than make up for my own shortcomings.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Malfoy said:
Both of you: I find it absolutely UNACCEPTABLE that things like childcare are funded by the university. I'm sorry, but having children is a CHOICE and I refuse to let my $604 (that's 12 weeks of wages for me with the amount of shifts I get; I'm a shop casual) go towards funding others' lifestyle choices.
I can't speak for Usyd, but childcare is often subsidised directly by universities.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Childcare is funded by the Union, and 85% of its users are actually Union staff.
Union catering services in Holme and Wentworth are both making losses, and Manning's only just breaking even. All the while the privatised level of Wentworth makes a profit.

walrusbear

HSC
the user pay system has its flaws

i think fundamentally that framing the issue in these economic terms is deceptive. in reference to wafs point i fail to see why running profits should be the aims of student buildings anyway. the VSU issue is easy to argue from USYDs perspective because the union fees are way too high and a lot of money is thrown away. i think long term there is much more to suffer by introducing private industry on campus and throwing away student control over services.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's bad that they're running a loss because that means students that bring food from home are subsidising those that eat on campus.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I think it's more disgusting that I can still get food from outside of uni for a better price than I can at uni, even after my member discount. When I was campaigning at Cumberland campus for SRC, I did lunch there, and it proved cheaper as a non-member than the member prices at main campus, with the quality of the food comparable. I also went over to SCA to campaign, and their food was likewise cheaper than main campus - but of a much higher quality. If these smaller organisations can maintain prices like that, why can't our big Union at main campus? The answer is simple: SASCA and CSG are too small to be politicised, so all their funding actually goes towards their students. The moment you politicise the Union/SRC, the level of efficiency drops dramatically.

walrusbear

HSC
Malfoy said:
Easy. A private company or companies takes over the running of the food outlets. This has a threefold benefit.

1. The monopoly on food outlets is broken. The places with the best value in terms of food quality and prices will be the places students flock. This means, in order to keep up with the outlets that are doing well, the poorer outlets (in terms of value and quantity) must lift their game. This is a good thing for students. More choice and more competition can only mean students will win out. This also means that the days where students had to pay 200% markups for overprocessed, cheap food - a la school canteen food - will be over as establishments that continue such practices will be forced out by lower patronage. (and hopefully, I'd finally be able to find cheap and healthy vegetarian/vegan food as student needs are catered for. I've never been to any institute of learning that has been able to provide that.)

2. The university, and thus the students, will benefit as cash flows into these outlets. Let's suggest a company takes over one of the campus cafes. It cuts a deal with the university saying that the uni will get a certain share in its profits. Now, if the quality improves - see point one - more students will buy their food at the university cafes. This means, instead of profit going to Broadway shopping centre, Chinatown or various pubs, the profit remains in the university.

3. Taking my second point - if the university has a cut of the profit in each cafe, and more students are using these cafes, the university gets more money. This money could then be spent on improving student services such as the universally used ones I mentioned in an earlier post. Students win for the third time.
this seems a pretty idealistic take on things
i'm thinking the companies that are mostly likely able to take hold of campus food is going to provide manufactured crap anyway
now money is going directly to private companies - and any supposed deals where this money pours back into students is extremely tenuous. companies function for their own profits so i don't see how the conditions will result in better food and somehow better money flow for students.

Generator

HSC
N/A
So much for collective support (at a more reasonable price) being a tenable option.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I think there's a good argument to be made in suggesting that food services on campus could do with some variety (not to mention some quality). On the face of it, the Union's food model (like in Wentworth, where there are like 5 food outlets all serving the same food) works to keep costs down - but that doesn't do us much good when even then food prices are still higher and food quality is lower than from outlets outside of uni. And if it's bad at main campus, it's disgusting at the Con, where in my first week of my university career, half the faculty came down with food poisoning.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lol food poisoning...

i am not a person who are fussy on food, so union food is edible... union special = 5 bucks = alryte...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
lol food poisoning...

i am not a person who are fussy on food, so union food is edible... union special = 5 bucks = alryte...
Food from home = $1 = better.

Anyway, though I've probably already covered most of this, here's an article I wrote summarising the major myths surrounding VSU:

“Under VSU the Clubs and Societies programme will cease to exist”
This is a ridiculous allegation, for the following reasons:
Only 3% of the Union budget goes towards the C&S programme. This means that even if no students paid Union fees, they could still afford to operate the programme several times over.
This is one of the most important services that the Union proves, and as such would be one of the very last things to ever be axed.
Societies that are mostly self funded, such as SubSki, are still hugely successful, This indicates that even if all Union funding to clubs were to be cut off, many of them would still be able to function.

“Under VSU the student body would have no political representation”
Under the present system a student's views are only represented if they are left wing, and there have been several underhanded tactics used by the SRC to artificially inflate numbers at protests, such as holding free BBQ's, which would encourage students who are complete apathetic about an issue to protest against it. Also important to note is that the four most recent major SRC political campaigns have all failed to change a thing (no VSU, save nursing, no HECS increases, no war in Iraq).

“Student Unionism provides discounted food”
The food provided by the on campus facilities is actually more expensive than that which is found outside the university, and in order to gain their student activity fees back in discounts most students would have to spend in excess of $5000 on food, or about $40 for every day they're at uni (assuming 5 day weeks). It should, as well, be pointed out that of the three Union catering buildings, both Wentworth and Holme make a combined annual loss of $2 million on catering, and Manning only just breaks even, while the private facilities on level 2 of Wentworth are the only ones to make a profit.

“The childcare provided by the Union is an essential service”
This would be true if women spontaneously gave birth to children without having sex and going through nine months pregnancy first, but the fact of the matter is that they do. Every single mother who wants to attend university chose to engage in an act which could conceive a child (often without adequate protection), then chose not to abort, and finally chose to keep the child rather than putting it up for adoption. They chose to have this child, and if they didn’t consider the consequences of their decision, then why should the rest of the student community bail them out? Note also that having a child that they cannot afford childcare for does not preclude them from university forever, but rather until the child reaches five years of age and can attend school while the mother attends classes at university. Most students would probably also be interested to know that 85% of childcare users are actually Union employees, not students.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Bringing your own food to uni is only really feasible if you live reasonably close to uni. I sure as hell have enough difficulties carrying my equipment to uni every day, without adding food and stuff like that to it. But at the same time, it's not feasible to eat Union food every day. As I said before, it's expensive, and every few months you get food poisoning. There is a good solution, and that's to privatise some of Wentworth building to put a supermarket in its place (like the IGA at the AMP building, which are reasonably small in terms of real estate), and then supply not just microwaves, but also kettles and gas cookers like those found in public parks.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Hey Quah, if I join ISA, will you campaign heavily to get my $302 back?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Phanatical said:
Bringing your own food to uni is only really feasible if you live reasonably close to uni. I sure as hell have enough difficulties carrying my equipment to uni every day, without adding food and stuff like that to it. But at the same time, it's not feasible to eat Union food every day. As I said before, it's expensive, and every few months you get food poisoning. There is a good solution, and that's to privatise some of Wentworth building to put a supermarket in its place (like the IGA at the AMP building, which are reasonably small in terms of real estate), and then supply not just microwaves, but also kettles and gas cookers like those found in public parks.
You might want to look into the feasability of providing a fresh fruit stall at uni too - the fruit that you can buy from the union outlets is usually kind of off...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Phanatical said:
A few sandwiches take up minimal room in your bag, there really is no reason why anybody can't bring food to uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)