Attention all USyders - VSU Information (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Re: VSU - My Two Cents

Ujuphleg has pretty much posted a carbon copy of the (as yet unwritten) ISA mandate. If she really cares about preserving the Union/SRC/Sport, she would join the ISA and work with the growing number of ISA members (There's at least four posting in this thread already) to not only work with students to promote the idea of a Sensible Union/SRC, but also to work with the Union/SRC to create policy to fix and ultimately maintain the Union/SRC in VSU conditions, until such time as a Labor government brings back USU (they will - look how many Labor parliamentarians were NUS President).

In 2004 the ISA is launching a new, free publication called "The Update". It's what we believe the Honi should be, and unlike the Honi, it's completely free for all students. Tomorrow there will be people in ISA shirts handing out copies of the Update to all students, and if you are interested in saving paper then there'll be a copy of the Update available at the ISA website tonight.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Communism in theory rewards the lazy and punishes the hardworking, using "legitimised" theft to redistribute wealth.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
Communism in theory rewards the lazy and punishes the hardworking, using "legitimised" theft to redistribute wealth.
and i suppose your far right capitalism model does the opposite :rolleyes:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
and i suppose your far right capitalism model does the opposite :rolleyes:
Inequality is an inevitable consequence, but the poor generally end up better off than absolutely everyone in a society where equality is attempted.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Phanatical said:
Ujuphleg has pretty much posted a carbon copy of the (as yet unwritten) ISA mandate. If she really cares about preserving the Union/SRC/Sport, she would join the ISA and work with the growing number of ISA members (There's at least four posting in this thread already) to not only work with students to promote the idea of a Sensible Union/SRC, but also to work with the Union/SRC to create policy to fix and ultimately maintain the Union/SRC in VSU conditions, until such time as a Labor government brings back USU (they will - look how many Labor parliamentarians were NUS President).

In 2004 the ISA is launching a new, free publication called "The Update". It's what we believe the Honi should be, and unlike the Honi, it's completely free for all students. Tomorrow there will be people in ISA shirts handing out copies of the Update to all students, and if you are interested in saving paper then there'll be a copy of the Update available at the ISA website tonight.
1) If I see any of my post in your mandate, I won't be happy. AT ALL.

2) I'll do what I want, when I want. Don't tell me that "if she really cares about preserving...she would join the ISA" It is EXACTLY that kind of arrogance that I abhorr about you lot. At base Andrew, you are just another student politician. Admittedly, your end intentions may be slightly more honourable but if you think I'll join, you are sadly mistaken.

3) I wouldn't hold my breath for Labor to bring back USU. Kim Beazley's current political strategy is "piss on them, then piss off". Labor has no future Andrew, not with Kim at the helm. It will take a change in leadership and in attitude before we'd have have a chance, and even then, with the corruption that exists within student unions, we'd just end up back at square one.

4) I'll pick up a copy of "The Update" tommorow. Look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There's more than one I was referring to.

And I should have been more specific. The ISA mandate does exist, in an incomplete form on the desktops of two ISA directors. That said, the ISA is the only true force for student body reform, for being a collective of Independents, more and more are joining the ISA to work for student body reform without compromising on their opinions and values. The support of students like ujuphleg would be invaluable towards raising awareness, and ultimately combating the political fighting that our student fees are paying for.

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Phanatical said:
The support of students like ujuphleg would be invaluable towards raising awareness, and ultimately combating the political fighting that our student fees are paying for.
Why Andrew, one might think you're trying to recruit me! I'm flattered.

I really want to see more solid policy and information from you. Past run ins with you have always entailed lengthy and pointless discussions about things which are often completley irrelevant to the argument at hand. Additionally, your politics have always seemed to be all over the place - theres nothing wrong with that per say, just having everything left, right, centre and everywhere doesn't seem very organised.

Yes, more information seems to be the key. "The Update" doesn't provide very much concrete evidence for what you are intending on doing, and as you website is not providing much information ... ?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I admit that the website should have been finished by now. My fault, as I just haven't had the time to do it. I've got two others working on design and content for the site, but it's mostly me in charge - but because I'm going straight from O-week to play a concert at Macquarie every night this week (Lighthouse Theatre, 8pm - come see me sing!), ALL my projects are unfinished.

The Update is not actually my project, but comes under the ISA Communications and Outreach division, lead by the lovely Jo Gad (also Editor), who insists upon a completely non-partisan, non-political publication. It's her call as to the tone of the paper (not mine). This year, at least, we'll see a lot of different types of ISA programs, with a lot of different emphases and attitudes. A friendly publication like The Update will contrast completely with the brutal honesty of OurBloodySRC.com, but I think it's important that the ISA explore every possible way of reaching (and ultimately recruiting) students.

A brief overview of the structure of the ISA:

The ultimate people who run the ISA form the Oversight Council, and this is comprised of the three directors and three appointments. The Council has the authority to ratify or change any decision made by any ISA body, including the Chair. The Chair of the Oversight Council is also the Chair of the ISA.

The work of the ISA is divided into three operational divisions, from which all ISA programs are coordinated.

The ISA Student Experience Division coordinates programs such as OurBloodySRC.com and the Student Experience Group and are based on, and intended to counter the Union/SRC directly.

The ISA Health, Welfare and Wellness Division coordinates programs such as the Student Kitchen and the Men's Advocacy Group (incorporating Men's Health), and are mostly intended to demonstrate the sorts of programs the SRC and Union SHOULD be running, and doing so with a minimal budget. This is my directorship, and I'm very proud of it.

The ISA Communications and Outreach Division coordinates The Update, and oversees all ISA publications.

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I heard you hate vaginas Andrew and that's a policy I can't stand for. I'll take it lying down though.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I don't hate vaginas, nor people who have them. I just believe in gender equality (as opposed to feminism for feminism's sake), and that what we have is misandry thinly disguised as equality and fairness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)