Australian education system going down the toilet! (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
What is happening? The rudd government has come into office and it seams that the education system is going down the drain! For the first time in (i think) 12 years the syllabus is being "refined." But looking at the maths final draft syllabus, it appears that they are dumbing down the syllabus.

For advanced, there is less work! But what is most outragous is the Mathematics Extension 2 final draft syllabus! They have taken out the two current hardest subjects ie Conics and Harder 3 Unit. They have replaced the Harder 3 Unit with 1/4 of the Harder 3 unit part ie inequalities, making it one whole topic! They have taken complex numbers and polynomials and smashed them together into one topic, thus droping the amount learn on each individual topic!

AND they have added another general course. So they have completely ruined the education of the top half of maths students! Extension 2 way easier, adv and extension slowed down!

Is this going to reflect the new changes to other subjects, like English, Physics, History or Social Sciences! They are making it easier for the dumb people. What about the smart people!

Another beckon of light for intellectual teenagers is being extinguished by the 'new developments' of the education system. Distinction courses are courses for gifted and talented students who have completed a subject a year or more ahead of their cohort (eg accelerating in maths, science, English or whatever). these courses give tallented people a chance to both interact with like minded peers and the chance to pursue and challenge themselves to rigorously challenging excersizes!

Whats next! Australia depends on the generation of tomorrow; the next engineers, teachers, scientists, politicians and such! But what makes these people, i say its the education and intellectual environment that they thrived in when they were in school, like you or me. They found maths and science and english difficult, but were at least challenged, and this challenge is what made them who they are. But what would happen if this challenge, this pursuit for intelectual development were to cease! We would not have engineers, mathematicians, biologists, physicists, scientists, teachers, politicians, historians or anything of the kind. Our economic would eventually wither away, just like out education system.

Its for these reasons that we need to have a strong and challenging eduction system, that not only suits the 'average' student, but can help those who will grow up and help Australia; the engineers, scientists, teachers and politicians.

So what do you guys think about whats happening to our education system! Please share your opinion!

Last edited:

Brontecat

HSC
i agree that advanced maths is waaaaaaaaaaaay easier and heaps more dumbed down

...but, if it helps me get a better UAI i'm not complaining :)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Federal government has nothing to do with the NSW curriculum.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Blame the Board/State Government.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
If the government is going to force more students to stay in school longer, they HAVE to make it achievable for them.

I don't agree with this at all. Leaving school and entering TAFE and employment were viable options for many youths in the past, and much better options, quite frankly, for those who did not fit into school.

Senior School used to be seen as the academic path for those who wished to attend university. Now it is something to keep the kids off the streets and poor teachers are now more behavious managers than teachers.

So, if you force more kids to stay in school until they're 17, say, and you want to be able to boast about their academic achievements, then dumb down the syllabus (I'm quite cynical) and make the actual mark that is reported to the press a relative percentage. That way people can still get 100% but their actual marks may be WAY down.

In Australia we spend way too much time boosting and propping up the bottom and always forget about the top, thinking they can look after themselves. They refuse to repeat kids who are struggling and refuse to skip gifted children ahead. This is VERY much frowned upon (take it from someone who had to really, really push to get her son advanced and then still gets negative feedback about it because of possible, perceived "social" issues).

So, for the G&T is it going to be a double struggle and they will need to advocate for themselves (or have very understanding parents to go in to bat for them). Complete dumbed down courses more quickly than the time alloted, approach universities for early entry to selected subjects and do HSC subjects early and complete the HSC in Year 11 or Year 10!

The syllabus has been progressively dumbed down over the past 50 years. My husband once read something about this. The teaching syllabus has been dumbed down by at least a year every decade. So, I guess we were due some dumbing down since the Ext 2 syllabus has not changed in over 20 years!

EDIT: In looking for the reference to the above, I have found a VERY intersting book online. Th Deliberate Dumbing Down of America. While it may contain controversial and conspiracy theories, it may be an intersting read. http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/MomsPDFs/DDDoA.sml.pdf

Last edited:

LeetSpeek

HSC
Since when wasnt the system going down the toilet?

It always gonna be screwed up and never going to be perfect. In fact i doubt we will ever be able to say that it was good.

about the subjects getting easier i agree with you. They are trying to integrate the students more instead of saying smart people go do physics and chem and dumb people do art and hospitality.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
They are making it easier for the dumb people. What about the smart people!
beckon of light
tallented people
challenging excersizes!
Its for these reasons
Sorry, I couldn't resist...

But honestly, you should probably calm down. I highly doubt these changes will spark the beginning of Australia's downward spiral toward becoming a Third World country. Especially since New South Wales is the only state that these supposed changes will apply to...

But yeah, calm down. At this rate you'll send yourself into cardiac arrest before you even reach week two... of year 10.

Its for these reasons that we need to have a strong and challenging eduction system, that not only suits the 'average' student, but can help those who will grow up and help Australia; the engineers, scientists, teachers and politicians.
No. Believe it or not, the 'average' students have just as much chance of growing up and helping Australia as the 'smart' ones.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
the maths syllabus got dumbed down? That is bad..that is very very bad. If 3 unit was the bare minimum to do first year math at unsw, then I think I'll have to see the day when 4unit becomes the recommended level.

2/3 unit math should be seen as a standard benchmark. Why is it called advanced math in the first place?

dp624

HSC
Yeah, well, most raw marks in 4u are about the 70% region or less
does that look good to the examiners?
haha

Schoey93

HSC
um, um

pfft Kurt, calm down! :)
It's two goddamn years of school for goodness's sake! year 11 and year 12 aren't make or break. I say instead of young whinging on this forum, you either lodge a formal complaint (I doubt you would be equipped to with writing like this, but nonetheless have a go. On the new maths syllabuses, they are great. Don't diss 'em. Students don't like math as it is, it needs to be made easier and it is still a challenge to non-math geniuses such as yourself. Mathematics General 1 should see a rise in HSC enrolments in mathematics, and Mathematics general 2 is really just the old general course with a few (four FOR two years) chucked in there somewhere.

Really, I don't think you should lodge a complaint. Australia's education system is one of the top in the world, beaten only by countries such as Great Britain, France, Germany and Italy. USA's tertiary education is the best in the world but their high school education sucks IMO. :)

It's actually quite IMMATURE to complain and do nothing about something. An [apparently] bright student such as yourself should really be challenging himself, and not relying on his teachers to such an extent.

Or are you really a tired old teacher man in disguise? ;)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Stupid Lebs out west can't handle general maths, so the entire syllabus has to cater for them and their thuggish ways. Solution: The Final.

@OP: You stole that quote in your sig off of bash.org. I'm onto you, thief!

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I would first like to say that i do not want this thread to turn into a brawl. I merely want to voice my opinion, and give others the chance to share their opinion on this particular topic, whether for or again it; a mere medium for discussion of students views.

I understand that the BOS or what ever is trying to help the common student, but to what degree/range do we have to take it? And yes, i see how a lot of students do not like maths, and i think that the implementation of a new general course is wonderful as it can appeal to those who need to know some maths, but don't want to do much and/or don't like it; it would definetly reach a broader audience. But in saying this, i think it is unfair that the more enthusiastic and capable students should have to suffer; i dont see why Mathematics extension 2 has to be less difficult if they are already implementing another general, those who cannot cope with MX2 should only do MX1, i dont see the need to make it easier.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
tbh dumbing down maths isn't rly the biggest issue in australian education, lol

arjungamer123

HSC
You can complain about any education in the world. High school education is stupid everywhere(except in Scandinavia; had a cousin who lived in Finland for a couple of years...WOW...they were learning stuff like Integration in Year 9..and at an average high school the average was 88%) .

I just hope university never drops standards like the HSC system does. If they keep high standards..it ensures that the next wave of doctors, engineers and lawyers are still as well trained as previous generations..

And so far, UNSW/USYD/UTS/etc. etc. seem to be doing well in achieving that.

-Anfernee-

HSC
Going?

We're light years behind places like France, and have been for a while.

Who do you think is to blame, though?

Do we point the finger at parents that neglect their own children and pursure their own selfish agendas instead?

Perhaps, our regional and country towns are bringing down the standards with their abysmal results.

personally I think it's the teachers, and the fact that four years of university is wasted on them when all they do is act like glorified babysitters all day.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Who do you think is to blame, though?

Do we point the finger at parents that neglect their own children and pursure their own selfish agendas instead?

Perhaps, our regional and country towns are bringing down the standards with their abysmal results.

personally I think it's the teachers, and the fact that four years of university is wasted on them when all they do is act like glorified babysitters all day.
they only act like babysitters, therefore they need less uni?

you're an incredibly stupid person aren't you

-Anfernee-

HSC
they only act like babysitters, therefore they need less uni?

you're an incredibly stupid person aren't you

Way to incorrectly interpret what I said. How appropriate that your salary as a teacher isn't based on performance or logical reasoning.

They don't need 4 years of uni, it's wasted on them, cos all they do is babysit. It doesn't take much to become a teacher.

You think you can follow that? or do you need another 6 weeks of school summer holidays to think it over?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)