Australian Maths Competition (1 Viewer)

Professor X

HSC
N/A
Re: Australian Mathematics Competition

for the divisible by 7 one, I basically listed all the two digit numbers from 11 - 99 inclusive, and then reversed them.

e.g.
etc

I know that the answer is definitely more than 15.

Kajixtatsu

HSC

Alternative prrof for the palindromic numbers question,

Let number be abba = (1000)a + (1)a + (100)b + (10)b
= (1001)a + (110)b
= 11(13x7)a + 11(10b)
= 11(13x7a + 10b)

therefore abba = 11(13x7a + 10b)

and to have a number divisible by 7 10b must be divisible by 7, therefore b = 7
so your only numbers are 1001, 2002, 3003... 9009 & 1771, 2772... 9779.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

I actually get 84 for this one *

my solution:
if you unfold the 3D shape into its net (only the side facing you, and with the dots) then you get a sort of double rhombus. the shortest distance is then found simply by connecting the two points with a line, and finding its length with pythagoras
i put 84 too.but that was a guess.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Did anyone spend enough time on the final question to complete it and come up with an answer?

This is the Senior Paper.

Official

Bring it on
HSC

for the overlapping circles one, i drew, separately, two circles overlapping at opposite corners, and two circles overlapping at adjacent corner. from these, i found the values of different areas of the shapes in the four overlapping circles, and could then deduce the area of the section overlapped by all 4
Ah, so what did you get?

lolokay

HSC

does anyone know/has anyone posted the answer for Q29?

all I can think of is having a symmetrical arrangement of the stations, like if you placed a pentagon, square and inverted triangle on a circular railway track. this gives a value of 189

Iruka

HSC
N/A

I am not sure if this is the correct answer (which is why I didn't post it earlier), and it sounds very counter intuitive, but if you let one of the Band C stations coincide and then put that point in the mid-point of the interval between two of the A stations then you can reduce the maximum distance between stations to 180.

Last edited:

kiniki

HSC

for the ascending question, i got 246, using a bit of trial and error. did anyone else get similar? this test absolutely whipped me.

Official

Bring it on
HSC

for the ascending question, i got 246, using a bit of trial and error. did anyone else get similar? this test absolutely whipped me.
Sorry, hate to burst your bubble but 246 * 6 = 1476, which is not an ascending number. The correct answer is infact 578.

lolokay

HSC

I am not sure if this is the correct answer (which is why I didn't post it earlier), and it sounds very counter intuitive, but if you let one of the Band C stations coincide and then put that point in the mid-point of the interval between two of the A stations then you can reduce the maximum distance between stations to 180.
yeah, I would say that's it. I was sure i'd tested this set up too =/

kiniki

HSC

Sorry, hate to burst your bubble but 246 * 6 = 1476, which is not an ascending number. The correct answer is infact 578.

what the helll how did i not pick that!?? i must of re done that question like 20 times coz i 'thought' it was the only one i knew haha
fail

PC

HSC
N/A

19 = [5(3 – √3)]/2

22 = 12(5√3 + 9)

maths94

HSC

I am not quite sure what number question it was, but it was a 10 mark question. It was in the intermediate division. The question was on patterns, it showed pattern 1,2 and 3 then it said what would pattern 11 be. My answer was 66, and i am very confident on that. So can anybody help me out.
<>

Pattern 1^
----
.....<>
<>
.....<>
Pattern 2^
........<>
...<>
<>...<>
...<>
.......<>
Pattern 3^
What is pattern 11? That was the question im pretty sure, thank you in advanced for replys. <>=hexagon

I will try and describe how i worked it out. Pattern 1 has one hexagon, while pattern 2 has three hexagon. So if i add 2 + 1=3 i got the one from the hexagon in pattern 1 and the two from the pattern (2)<--....Pattern 3 if we add three hexagons to pattern 2 thats gives us 6 and it also gives us pattern 3. So basically the next hexagon pattern 4 i would add 4 hexagons to the previous pattern. So its basically 6 hexagons from pattern 3 so i did.....6+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11=66

Iruka

HSC
N/A

yeah, I would say that's it. I was sure i'd tested this set up too =/
I have found a way to make the maximum distance 174 km. But i am still not happy with this result. Even though i do think that is the opitmal solution, I have done it in such an ad hoc manner that I can't be sure... I am sure that there is some far more elegant solution, if I could only think what it was... (sigh).

gurmies

Drover
HSC

I have found a way to make the maximum distance 174 km. But i am still not happy with this result. Even though i do think that is the opitmal solution, I have done it in such an ad hoc manner that I can't be sure... I am sure that there is some far more elegant solution, if I could only think what it was... (sigh).
Take some solace from the fact that you solved the last question so brilliantly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)