• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

aviation (pilot) (2 Viewers)

5233andy

HSC
JamesTockuss said:
Wow. Just wow.

And yeh I reckon 85 would be ok.

The UAI requirement is fine, however, it's the costs associated with it and whether a Bachelor in Aviation will do you much good, in terms of your career prospects.

I just skimmed through the thread - is it true that the training costs will be HECS (it's not HECS anymore) deferrable?

5233andy

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
and ive got a new figure for the chief pilot salary..

it is...

$1 000 000

BUT... another thinks that it would be much more than that..
:uhoh:

because chief pilots are contracted to the airline..it probably is
over a 1 000 000...not to mention free first class travel, probably
a company car etc etc
For an individual who has just entered the Aviation field, is the starting salary something like 90K?

HSC
5233andy said:
For an individual who has just entered the Aviation field, is the starting salary something like 90K?
in general aviation..you would be luckyky to even be paid the award wage ie somewhere in the region of 35k..and with this you would have to clean the aircraft, sweep the hangars etc.. and you would have to probably do this for 2-3 years till you get a gig on a m/e aircraft..perhaps 40k if your lucky.. i mean.. rex only pay about 40k for a FO..

in airline terms..starting can be anywhere between 65-80k.. (SO) depending on aircraft type which will would either be 744, classic, a330, and now a380..
then by 4th year you should be expecting a 100k+ job..still probably SO

for DEFO your probably expecting about 100-150k depending on aircraft type and time to command..

DEC should be expecting 150k+ again dependent on aircraft type and hours..

as rank in seniority gets closer to 1..you should be expecting on the up side of 250k..

and then if you do stay with the one airline..(major airline) 350k would probably be your last payout..of course you would be 50-55yr by this stage..

then transfer over to instructing..and then your salary probably plummets..

down side of course is you will rarely see your family if your SO but you will get around 12-18 days off a month..cant complain :)

and i dont think it can be hecs deferrable..
but u can you fee-help which will offset 81k..
im not sure though whether you can hecs the uni side of the course
and fee-help the flight training component..

aimhigh10

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
in general aviation..you would be luckyky to even be paid the award wage ie somewhere in the region of 35k..and with this you would have to clean the aircraft, sweep the hangars etc.. and you would have to probably do this for 2-3 years till you get a gig on a m/e aircraft..perhaps 40k if your lucky.. i mean.. rex only pay about 40k for a FO..

in airline terms..starting can be anywhere between 65-80k.. (SO) depending on aircraft type which will would either be 744, classic, a330, and now a380..
then by 4th year you should be expecting a 100k+ job..still probably SO

for DEFO your probably expecting about 100-150k depending on aircraft type and time to command..

DEC should be expecting 150k+ again dependent on aircraft type and hours..

as rank in seniority gets closer to 1..you should be expecting on the up side of 250k..

and then if you do stay with the one airline..(major airline) 350k would probably be your last payout..of course you would be 50-55yr by this stage..

then transfer over to instructing..and then your salary probably plummets..

down side of course is you will rarely see your family if your SO but you will get around 12-18 days off a month..cant complain :)

and i dont think it can be hecs deferrable..
but u can you fee-help which will offset 81k..
im not sure though whether you can hecs the uni side of the course
and fee-help the flight training component..

wow sounds like an awesome career :p

HSC
aimhigh10 said:
wow sounds like an awesome career :p
mmhmm..

but if you base your career choice on salary..you'll get bored really easily..
LH are subject to like being away from their families and just flying an aircraft for 8+ hours..although I dont mind that part :)

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
But would you take that over Qantas if you were offered a place?
I'd take Qantas for sure if i was offered a place.....

I'm just trying to widen my options just in case i don't make it into Qantas after school

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
I hope you guys realise that you're all discussing private flight training courses. The sort of thing 50-year-old semi-retired men do as a hobby. Relatively rare, expensive, and waste-of-time-ive.

If you are wanting to go into flight training straight after HSC, BY FAR the most common thing to do is either join ADFA (Australian Defence) or take one of the various cadetships offered through the commercial airlines. They comprise countless programmes set up that are DESIGNED to take students straight after yr 12.

As far as subject choice, you will need General Maths (or higher) and Standard English (or higher). Anything else (i.e. Physics, Enginering Studies) are - although useful - not required

PS. On the otherhand, if it is Aeronautical Engineering you are interested in, there are several necessary yr 12 subjects: Adv Maths, Maths Ext 1, General English (or higher), Physics, and potentially Chemistry.

HSC
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'd take Qantas for sure if i was offered a place.....

I'm just trying to widen my options just in case i don't make it into Qantas after school
what about..

the qantas course or

a uni course which costs 62k and covers degree, everything up to atpl theory, 300TT and ill chuck in an instructor rating

now which one ?

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
what about..

the qantas course or

a uni course which costs 62k and covers degree, everything up to atpl theory, 300TT and ill chuck in an instructor rating

now which one ?
I'd go with the Qantas course.... i'm pretty sure they would prefer pilots they train themselves.

HSC
Haha..a guy was on brisbane centre and he heard

"QF-XXX request direct Hamilton Island due Carbon Emmisions Reduction"

ATC; "I'll pay that one, track direct Hamilton Island"

Other; "Ruddy would be proud!"

lol..isnt that funny ?

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
^lol

xXmuffin0manXx said:
what about if that course was 20k
I'd still probably go Qantas, better employment prospect imo

but 20k for 300TT is a pretty good deal :\

HSC
Dr. Zoidberg said:
^lol

I'd still probably go Qantas, better employment prospect imo

but 20k for 300TT is a pretty good deal :\
haha of course it is..it'll never happen though..

but i would take the 20k for 300TT..i mean u get mecir, atpl theory 300TT, instructor rating..then probably just instruct for 3 years and get TT up to about 1500 and apply for DEFO @ Qantas ? 2x faster

JamesTockuss

HSC
Just going back to the whole chief pilot thing...

I found out that his salary works under a profit sharing scheme - so whatever the airline makes, he makes a tiny percentage of that.

HSC
JamesTockuss said:
Just going back to the whole chief pilot thing...

I found out that his salary works under a profit sharing scheme - so whatever the airline makes, he makes a tiny percentage of that.
lol didnt qantas make nearly a billion dollars this year..

1% of that is 10 000 000 ..lol

JamesTockuss

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
lol didnt qantas make nearly a billion dollars this year..

1% of that is 10 000 000 ..lol
Well it wouldn't be 1%. The pilot I got the info off said it varies between 500K to 1.2mill normally

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)