B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?HELP!

cssftw

HSC
Hello,

I really need help making a decision on this. Basically I'd like to know what sort/TYPE of jobs you can get with these two degrees, which ones are better, and basically which degree is better.

I'm a Science guy, I did sciences in my 2011 HSC, and I don't have a commerce background, yet regardless I'd like to do commerce in uni (is this a bad idea??? :S)

ALso, I hear the UNSW course gives you a strong understanding of commerce/business PLUS mathematical knowledge WHICH IS GUESs WILL help with finance/STATISTICS RELATED jobs????

However the USYD course - i really have no idea about it. Why and HOW would commerce help science? The USYD website it will help you get a science job that requires business skills, OR it will help you get a COMMERCE JOB with the skills needed for science?? (WTF MATE?) what on earth does that mean?

So I need the expert opinion of people on the forum that know about these two degrees, which one should I pick?? Because I REALLY have no clue :S If you need any more information feel free to ask.e

HSC subjects:

Bio - 92
4u-92, 3u-95
eng -85 and modern history 87

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?H

yeah it is a bad idea because i hated commerce so i'm dropping out of it

and unsw is better.

cssftw

HSC
Re: B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?H

yeah it is a bad idea because i hated commerce so i'm dropping out of it

and unsw is better.
Shadowdude - how was the advanced math? Impossible hard and shit? Or hard but doable? and which degree is the bad idea LOL?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

if you willingly choose com/sci at usyd knowing that the same degree is a year shorter at UNSW you dont deserve to go to uni

do it at UNSW, the business faculty is better and also a year shorter

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

commerce and science go hand in hand in some instances:

eg:

psychology & HR
psychology & marketing
maths & accounting
maths & finance

cssftw

HSC

if you willingly choose com/sci at usyd knowing that the same degree is a year shorter at UNSW you dont deserve to go to uni

do it at UNSW, the business faculty is better and also a year shorter
derp - they're both 5yrs long aren't they?

cssftw

HSC

commerce and science go hand in hand in some instances:

eg:

psychology & HR
psychology & marketing
maths & accounting
maths & finance
what I'm worried about is - would a simple Bscience get me a decent job in science - i mean commerce is the main portion of the degree right? If it can't get me a job in science, might as well do the advanced mathetmatics course.

Also haven't got any background in commerce - though the last few months, I have been keeping in touch with economic affairs/wars of the world and my interest is increasing. So would I be alright in uni for commerce if I have no background?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

derp - they're both 5yrs long aren't they?
fuck no

UNSW is 4 years
USYD is 5 years

i was an ignorant fucking douchebag and didnt realise UNSW was less so now im stuck at the university of pompous twats for 5 years
all because i didnt do my research

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

so would I be alright in uni for commerce if I have no background?
absolutely

b science on its own is pretty useless btw

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Shadowdude - how was the advanced math? Impossible hard and shit? Or hard but doable? and which degree is the bad idea LOL?
It's a bad idea for you to pick Commerce if you don't actually like it.

And Adv. Maths is great. Totally doable if you're any good at maths. Getting high marks like mine... just requires a bit of effort over the semester.

cssftw

HSC

absolutely

b science on its own is pretty useless btw
thanks for confirming my fears.... :S

btw

http://www.asb.unsw.edu.au/FUTUREST...20of%20Science%20%28Advanced%20Mathematics%29

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3523.html

Duration: 5yrs fulltime

also meilz, what jobs are u looking at - i wanna stay away from actuary because it is seems fairly boring. Do you know any other areas where stats/maths helps commerce?

cssftw

HSC

oh I mean just the B com/B Sc degree at UNSW is 4 years

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3529.html
why dont you just do that and major in maths lol

accounting and finance will go well with maths
or even economics
Sister's friend did Bcomm/Bsc in USYD - apparently u get an internship as part of the degree, she got hers in Ernst And Young, I'm guessing that isn't in UNSW??

And USYD would be just more convenient for me - but there's no Bcomm/Bsc(adv maths) in USYD - which is why I'm looking to UNSW for the degree.....

but thens pros for doing USYD Bcomm/Bsc - I don't know which one to pick

The one with the math or the one with the science?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

i go to usyd and do that degree and its shit
you dont simply "get" an internship either. My friend got an internship at ernst & young too, but only because she applied for it as something completely arbitrary to the university degree.

cssftw

HSC

i go to usyd and do that degree and its shit
you dont simply "get" an internship either. My friend got an internship at ernst & young too, but only because she applied for it as something completely arbitrary to the university degree.
Could you please further explain what aspects of the degree/uni life? is shit?? Thanks - it'd be quite helpful

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

Could you please further explain what aspects of the degree/uni life? is shit?? Thanks - it'd be quite helpful
the people are either up themselves or do not speak english, makes obligatory group work very difficult
very old fashioned and rigid uni, timetabling is a bitch, getting special consideration is a bitch, if you fail you fail (unlike UNSW where you can usually take a supp exam or get a pass conceded)
the fact that it is 5 years is quite a big deal imo- you are basically being forced to complete a year of electives so USYD can milk more money out of you, and after about 2 years you will be sick of uni and regretting so badly that you didnt choose UNSW that you will be borderline suicidal
the Australian School of Business @ UNSW is much better than USYD's business school

cssftw

HSC

the people are either up themselves or do not speak english, makes obligatory group work very difficult
very old fashioned and rigid uni, timetabling is a bitch, getting special consideration is a bitch, if you fail you fail (unlike UNSW where you can usually take a supp exam or get a pass conceded)
the fact that it is 5 years is quite a big deal imo- you are basically being forced to complete a year of electives so USYD can milk more money out of you, and after about 2 years you will be sick of uni and regretting so badly that you didnt choose UNSW that you will be borderline suicidal
the Australian School of Business @ UNSW is much better than USYD's business school
I don't mean to be offensive in anyway or even hint at any form of racism, but I have to ask:

are you asian?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

I don't mean to be offensive in anyway or even hint at any form of racism, but I have to ask:

are you asian?
no lol

cssftw

HSC

Also I thought commerce imports only went to UNSW - my ext1/2 tutor who's doing some law/commerce degree at unsw said UNSW commerce is fairly bad - main reason being the imports don't wanna speak to you (or are unable to speak to you)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Then don't speak to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)