B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?HELP! (2 Viewers)

cssftw

HSC
Re: B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?H

So how does honours work in uni? I mean you can do honours for any science major (including maths)? Can you do honours for commerce as well? Can someone please explain how honours works?

So are you saying that the do degrees are the same - but Bcomm/Bscience is MORE FLEXIBLE - and that you could do IDENTICAL COURSES to the Advance Maths courses?

I saw in the Bcomm/Bsc(adv maths) - you can pick ONE MAJOR from:

- Applied Mathematics

- High Performance Students Plan (by invitation only)

- Pure Mathematics

- Quantitative Risk (requires approval)

- Statistics
--------
So you pick ONE of them for your majors. Right? Is it correct that in Bscience(Adv Maths) (no commerce) - you do ALL of those courses (applied, pure maths, stats, and quantitative risk (by approval)??? - and u don't just pick one of them?

So back to Bcomm/Bsc ----> The SCIENCE MAJOR you select is either MATHEMATICS OR STATISTICS (maths related majors) - where do the similarities lie between these two majors, and the 5 MATH MAJORS you could select for Bcomm/Bsc(ADV MATH)? Please answer this question, it is the MOST important one haha xD

So basically, I'm guessing the STATS major from BComm/Bsc(ADV math) is the SAME as Bcomm/Bsc major in STATISTICS? RIGHT?

Are there any similarities between the MATHEMATICS major in Bcomm/Bsc -- with Pure Mathematics OR applied mathematics in ADV MATHS MAJORS

***Please answer every question**** thank you

Last edited:

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?H

So how does honours work in uni? I mean you can do honours for any science major (including maths)? Can you do honours for commerce as well? Can someone please explain how honours works?

So are you saying that the do degrees are the same - but Bcomm/Bscience is MORE FLEXIBLE - and that you could do IDENTICAL COURSES to the Advance Maths courses?

I saw in the Bcomm/Bsc(adv maths) - you can pick ONE MAJOR from:

- Applied Mathematics

- High Performance Students Plan (by invitation only)

- Pure Mathematics

- Quantitative Risk (requires approval)

- Statistics
--------
So you pick ONE of them for your majors. Right? Is it correct that in Bscience(Adv Maths) (no commerce) - you do ALL of those courses (applied, pure maths, stats, and quantitative risk (by approval)??? - and u don't just pick one of them?

So back to Bcomm/Bsc ----> The SCIENCE MAJOR you select is either MATHEMATICS OR STATISTICS (maths related majors) - where do the similarities lie between these two majors, and the 5 MATH MAJORS you could select for Bcomm/Bsc(ADV MATH)? Please answer this question, it is the MOST important one haha xD

So basically, I'm guessing the STATS major from BComm/Bsc(ADV math) is the SAME as Bcomm/Bsc major in STATISTICS? RIGHT?

Are there any similarities between the MATHEMATICS major in Bcomm/Bsc -- with Pure Mathematics OR applied mathematics in ADV MATHS MAJORS

***Please answer every question**** thank you

For Science, you major in Mathematics or Statistics. For Adv Maths, you major in those you listed above. Technically with the Science degree you can do the exact same courses for the Pure Maths major in Adv Maths, but your major is only called Mathematics.

It doesn't really matter what the name of your degree or major is, it's just what courses you've done.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

So whether you choose to follow the exact same plan as the Pure/Applied Maths major, your Science degree major would still be called Mathematics. You can even do a mix of both.

cssftw

HSC

So the Mathematics major is on the same level of difficulty as Applied Maths or Pure Mathematics? What exactly is the difference between Applied and Pure.

Also so in Bcomm/Bsc(ADV MATHS) - in those 5yrs of time, you are only doing one advance mathematics major??

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

So the Mathematics major is on the same level of difficulty as Applied Maths or Pure Mathematics? What exactly is the difference between Applied and Pure.

Also so in Bcomm/Bsc(ADV MATHS) - in those 5yrs of time, you are only doing one advance mathematics major??
There are only 'higher' level courses in 1st and 2nd year. 3rd year maths courses are all of the same difficulty. In Adv Maths, you MUST do the higher level courses, whereas with the science degree with a maths/stats major they are optional. Applied is applied, pure is pure. Pretty much self explanatory. Maybe someone else can explain that to you.

And yes in those 5 years you do one major for maths (and also you do your commerce courses for your commerce major)

Hanataro

HSC

yeah it is a bad idea because i hated commerce so i'm dropping out of it

and unsw is better.
SHADOW! Why did you hate commerce at UNSW? What was wrong with it?

I'm thinking of doing commerce... :( :(

cssftw

HSC

Ok...hopefully...ONE FINAL LAST QUESTION:

If I pick Bcomm/BScience - Could I, if I choose, do every identical course that one would do in BComm/Bsci(ADV MATHS)? - I.E. could I choose to do either Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics in Bcomm/Bscience - along with everyother course? So two people (one in Bcomm/Bscience and the other in BComm/Bsci(ADvanced maths) could POSSIBLE/TECHNICALLY do the exact same courses, whilst being in two different degrees?

Are all the commerce majors/ commerce core subjects the same
And is STATISTICS the only similarity between the two science majors of the respective degrees

Once again repeating the question, could I choose to do ADV math majors from a Bcomm/Bsci course + could I do honours (like in BComm/Bsci(ADV maths). Haven't decided yet, just wanna keep the option open

Last edited:

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

SHADOW! Why did you hate commerce at UNSW? What was wrong with it?

I'm thinking of doing commerce... :( :(
What do you mean hate Commerce at UNSW? It's not like he transferred to USyd Commerce to compare. He just hates Commerce.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

Ok...hopefully...ONE FINAL LAST QUESTION:

If I pick Bcomm/BScience - Could I, if I choose, do every identical course that one would do in BComm/Bsci(ADV MATHS)? - I.E. could I choose to do either Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics in Bcomm/Bscience - along with everyother course? So two people (one in Bcomm/Bscience and the other in BComm/Bsci(ADvanced maths) could POSSIBLE/TECHNICALLY do the exact same courses, whilst being in two different degrees?
yep. the only exception is that there is one compulsory course that adv maths people have to do. SCIF1121 is the worst course ever. i can't even begin to describe it. it's complete shit and irrelevant. other than that, with a science degree with a major in maths, you could have the EXACT same qualifications and done the EXACT same courses as someone with an adv maths degree.

Hanataro

HSC

What do you mean hate Commerce at UNSW? It's not like he transferred to USyd Commerce to compare. He just hates Commerce.
Oh hehe, my bad. Let me rephrase me question then - SHADOW! Why do you hate commerce?

Lamb, do you have any comments/advice regarding unsw commerce for newcomers?

Hanataro

HSC

Oh hehe, my bad. Let me rephrase me question then - SHADOW! Why do you hate commerce?

deterministic

HSC

Difficulty is dependent on which courses you are doing. Although for an adv maths degree you have to do "higher" courses, most people doing a b sci major in maths will end up doing higher courses anyway due to scaling.

cssftw

HSC

Difficulty is dependent on which courses you are doing. Although for an adv maths degree you have to do "higher" courses, most people doing a b sci major in maths will end up doing higher courses anyway due to scaling.
ahh so you can do the higher maths courses that ADV maths have in Bcomm/Bscience degree? So I could choose Applied maths OR pure mathematics major in Bcomm/Bscience? Also what is this compulsory "higher maths" course in BComm/Bsci(adv maths) in the 1st/2nd years????

Last edited:

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

can't really give you advice other than attend all your lectures. you're paying for them anyway. 90% of people here will say "herp derp you don't have to you go to lectures you fuckwit it's not worth it just study at home" but then again they're the people who don't actually bother to study until the last few weeks before exams. they try to cram an entire semester's worth of content before the exam and just scrape passes and say "Ps get degrees".

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

ahh so you can do the higher maths courses that ADV maths have in Bcomm/Bscience degree? So I could choose Applied maths OR pure mathematics major in Bcomm/Bscience? Also what is this compulsory "higher maths" course in BComm/Bsci(adv maths)??
Yes, with BScience you have the choice between Mathematics 1A/1B and Higher Mathematics 1A/1B, whereas with Adv Maths you MUST do Higher Mathematics 1A/1B in first year. No you can't choose an Applied or Pure Maths major with BScience. It's only Mathematics or Statistics. If you choose to follow the Pure or Applied Maths plan whilst doing a BScience, your major will still be Mathematics (as i mentioned earlier). There are only higher level courses in 1st and 2nd year (as i also mentioned earlier).

These higher maths courses are:

Higher Mathematics 1A (MATH1141), Higher Mathematics 1B (MATH1241), Higher Several Variable Calculus (MATH2111), Higher Theory of Statistics (MATH2901), Higher Linear Algebra (MATHsomething) and other higher courses.

For Adv Maths, you MUST take these HIGHER courses. For BScience, you DON'T HAVE TO do the higher courses, but you have the choice of doing them.

cssftw

HSC

Yes, with BScience you have the choice between Mathematics 1A/1B and Higher Mathematics 1A/1B, whereas with Adv Maths you MUST do Higher Mathematics 1A/1B in first year. No you can't choose an Applied or Pure Maths major with BScience. It's only Mathematics or Statistics. If you choose to follow the Pure or Applied Maths plan whilst doing a BScience, your major will still be Mathematics (as i mentioned earlier). There are only higher level courses in 1st and 2nd year (as i also mentioned earlier).

These higher maths courses are:

Higher Mathematics 1A (MATH1141), Higher Mathematics 1B (MATH1241), Higher Several Variable Calculus (MATH2111), Higher Theory of Statistics (MATH2901), Higher Linear Algebra (MATHsomething) and other higher courses.

For Adv Maths, you MUST take these HIGHER courses. For BScience, you DON'T HAVE TO do the higher courses, but you have the choice of doing them.
Right thanks. I'm guessing you can't do Mathematics 1A/B AND Higher Mathematics 1A/B - (in respective order) - and you have to pick one of them? So what does Mathematics 1A/B include exactly? And what type of people would choose Mathematics 1A/B over Higher mathematics 1A/B AND VICE VERSA?

Like I did 4U and got 92 - but I'm guessing HSC isn't relevant at all in determing this? haha

deterministic

HSC

ahh so you can do the higher maths courses that ADV maths have in Bcomm/Bscience degree? So I could choose Applied maths OR pure mathematics major in Bcomm/Bscience? Also what is this compulsory "higher maths" course in BComm/Bsci(adv maths) in the 1st/2nd years????
See here:
For maths major in b sci
http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/science
For advanced maths
http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/advanced-mathematics-science

Explore the rest of the site to see how you can combine commerce with maths

cssftw

HSC

http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/admission-to-honours

QUOTE: "Admission to the Honours Year
Entry

The Honours year can be taken part-time or full-time in either Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics or Statistics.

To enter Honours in Mathematics or Statistics, students must have either:

Completed a Mathematics or Statistics major in the Science and/or Mathematics program, including at least 30 units of credit in Level III Mathematics

So completing the maths/stats major is obviously doable in Bcomm/Bscience - but is "at least 30 units of credit in Level III maths" possible in Bcomm/Bscience - also, what does that mean exactly? 30 units, of level III??

cssftw

HSC

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

Right thanks. I'm guessing you can't do Mathematics 1A/B AND Higher Mathematics 1A/B - (in respective order) - and you have to pick one of them? So what does Mathematics 1A/B include exactly? And what type of people would choose Mathematics 1A/B over Higher mathematics 1A/B AND VICE VERSA?

Like I did 4U and got 92 - but I'm guessing HSC isn't relevant at all in determing this? haha
If you like Maths, then do Higher. It's not hard at all. You just do additional topics in Higher, and get a harder exam. Yes, you can do Higher Maths 1A and then drop down to Maths 1B if you think you didn't perform too well in Higher Maths 1A. Similarly, if you did very well in Maths 1A you can move to Higher Maths 1B.

What type of people choose Maths 1A/1B over the Higher version? People who don't think they're capable to do higher, people who don't really like maths but it's required for their degree, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)